• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I got a Laser Beam and it makes me Happy

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    So I grabbed a Laser beam, a little portable style entry-level one and I love it

I only wish I got one that does metal now, this one stops just short of dong metal, although I did see a hack I have yet to try.

But this thing is fun, I am marking all sorts of stuff

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

IMG_2374.JPG

I may have to step up to one that does metal but if I do, I am going for one that do a Yeti style cup too, I want to engrave bigger stuff

Fricken Lasers man, I love it

It's pretty funny,

It's called a Laser Pecker ... but I feel I need more power.

right now I think with my experience as minor as it is, but fun as shit, I have lasered about 2 dozen things around the house, the laser to buy is this one:

Makeblock xTool D1 Laser Engraver​

If you are shopping I think this one might be a better buy for what we do ... I may step up and run both since I realized the error in my ways

It's pretty funny,

It's called a Laser Pecker ... but I feel I need more power.

right now I think with my experience as minor as it is, but fun as shit, I have lasered about 2 dozen things around the house, the laser to buy is this one:

Makeblock xTool D1 Laser Engraver​

If you are shopping I think this one might be a better buy for what we do ... I may step up and run both since I realized the error in my ways

Ironically enough, ours (the xTool D1) is slated to arrive tomorrow. We're looking forward to getting started with it.

Be careful with that 10W laser. That will do serious damage to eyes and skin, like right now. Sorry, 31 years in corporate safety, I couldn't help myself.
    The laser engraver is cool as shit.... I might have to get one and remove the laser beam eye shield :ROFLMAO: Do as I say, not as I do.

So I grabbed a Laser beam, a little portable style entry-level one and I love it

I only wish I got one that does metal now, this one stops just short of dong metal, although I did see a hack I have yet to try.

View attachment 7760662

View attachment 7760663
    View attachment 7760664

I may have to step up to one that does metal but if I do, I am going for one that do a Yeti style cup too, I want to engrave bigger stuff

My buddy who got one of the bigger ones and went to school for a week for it and all that has been the same way. Some of the stuff he's doing is amazing. He did a 1911 that looks like it was carved by hand. He even does slide cuts and all with it, but that takes a little bit to do. Really cool machines.

Reactions: lash
    Once you get up to the big-boy lasers which will do metal, it becomes a different game. My biggest lasers aren't fired up, unless they are in a small room (where I am NOT with it), and the results are viewed remotely by a camera. The best safety goggles will not save your eyes from an errant and incident reflected exposure off the metal. Even my tiny 7 watt UV laser will cut through a ball-point pen spring when it is used with G2 (close focus) optics.

I have been playing with lasers since about 1980, and have never had an incident. Others I know, who pioneered this stuff have not been as lucky.

A buddy told this about alzheimers:

"You only need to be worried not when you forget where you left the paperclip, but when you foget WHAT the paperclip is for"

Until then, I'll settle for my "half-heimers" since I'm not ALLzheimers yet.

It works on pretty much on everything but glass, ceramic and metal, but I quickly realized you want to engrave that stuff

So if you are considering a laser beam to engrave with, include Glass, and Metal for the win
    My bud just picked up one of these.
    Was on sale Black Friday.
    May go on sale again.

R

Reactions: Barneybdb

View attachment 7760662

View attachment 7760663
    View attachment 7760664

If you're gonna do anything in metal and lasers look at 3D SLS stuff. These things are good enough to do 3-D printed metal rocket engines

It took a LONG time for the courier to find our house, but the boxes finally arrived late this afternoon.
    1 Arrival.png

Then here's the parts 'n pieces:
    2 Parts 'n Pieces.png

And here's almost all of it assembled. We'll finish assembling and connecting it, then turning it on tomorrow sometime after we get back:
    3 Assembled.png

Interesting Concept, eh?

The possibilities are nearly endless. Smile, wait for flash!

Once you get up to the big-boy lasers which will do metal, it becomes a different game. My biggest lasers aren't fired up, unless they are in a small room (where I am NOT with it), and the results are viewed remotely by a camera. The best safety goggles will not save your eyes from an errant and incident reflected exposure off the metal. Even my tiny 7 watt UV laser will cut through a ball-point pen spring when it is used with G2 (close focus) optics.

What kind of laser engraver do you have that doesn't have a shielding enclosure?

We have one at work for marking part numbers, serial numbers, and stuff like that on what we make and it's on wheels, you move it to whatever cell needs it, open the enclosure, put the part in the jig, close the door, and hit go.

No need for special glasses or leaving the room.

What kind of laser engraver do you have that doesn't have a shielding enclosure?

We have one at work for marking part numbers, serial numbers, and stuff like that on what we make and it's on wheels, you move it to whatever cell needs it, open the enclosure, put the part in the jig, close the door, and hit go.

No need for special glasses or leaving the room.
    I build my own lasers. They are used for a variety of things. Most are intended for uses other than engraving. Some things I do won't fit within the confines of a reasonably sized box. My backstop is fire bricks for the bigger ones. The larger ones I regard with the same caution as a rattle-snake. Some of the smaller ones (under ten watts) are toys for playing with.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    Anybody engrave their brass? Is there a reason to not engrave your brass?