• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

I got me a Hankering for Single Action Armys!

treetop00

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
Kentucky
I've always been into the rifles, but lately my uncle got me shooting pistols and just not your regular autos, but single action armys better known as the Colt SAA. And I really like shooting these guns! I don't know if it how they look or what it is but, I really like how they shoot and feel! Anyone else shoot these western style guns?

Re: I got me a Hankering for Single Action Armys!

The wife and I compete in Cowboy Action Shooting, so we shoot single actions A LOT. We mostly shoot Ruger Vaqueros, but I have a very nice SAA clone made by U.S.F.A. Their "clones" are perhaps the finest currently being built, rivaling the actual Colts IMO. Single actions will always occupy a special place in my heart, so I appreciate your view of them.

For the ultimate treat, one should load some full-house black powder cartridges in a 45 Colt, 44-40, or 38-40 SAA and cut loose. Fist fulla' thunder, baby! Our state-level shoot was yesterday and I shot 40 grains of black under 255 grain slugs from my 3 1/2" barreled 45 Colt birdshead sixguns...I knew I was doing it right when I heard the coughing and complaining.
laugh.gif
The spotters were almost belly crawling to see the targets under the fragrant, billowing clouds of sulfurous smoke I was emitting.

Be forewarned; shooting "real" powder from a smokewagon is addicting and can result in prolonged smiling, sooty fingertips, and erections lasting longer than four hours!

Step-dad has a few pairs of cowboy action guns.

Not sure if it's the clone or the Ruger Bisley's but one of them has a s afety feature (The floating hammer?) so in case you drop it there's no discharge.

He had an AD with one, 44 cal, sent a lead low speed bullet through 6 walls and onto the back of the toilet...

Lucky it was not a 44 mag..

Not my thing but I'll go with a Csharpes 45-70 alongside ya tho!

I can assure you that there are plenty of folks here that own, shoot, and love single action wheel guns, including myself.

I have a new model Vaquero in 45 Colt that is seriously fun to shoot. Also have a reproduction of a Walker Colt and like Noah says, shooting black powder is a whole nother level.

For those of you with the vaqueros, I had one for a couple years and I couldnt hit the side of a barn with it. How do they shoot for you?

My Vaquero shoots great. Handles well, puts rounds where I point it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you with the vaqueros, I had one for a couple years and I couldnt hit the side of a barn with it. How do they shoot for you? </div></div>

Inch and a half to two inches at 25 yards seems to be the standard for most of mine, although I have one Bisley Vaquero in 45 Colt that will shoot cloverleafs at that distance if I do my part and hold my tongue just right. I polished the guts thoroughly on that one and put in a Trapper gunspring kit. The trigger pull is 12 ounces and I use it for long range side matches and winning lunches and drinks off folks who don't believe what a sixgun is capable at out at 200-400 yards.
wink.gif

Incidentally, my Vaqueros shoot best with soft cast bullets sized .002 over bore diameter and lubed with Alox. Hard-cast bevel-based commercial bullets with crayon lube don't do half as well. And as for jacketed, Hornady XTPs are the shizznits (although I have had some promising groups with Gold Dots-now "Deep Curls" I believe).

That U.S.F.A. I have shoots right at an inch and a half at 25. That is truly exceptional for an out of the box gun based on a 138 year old design!