• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I guess Brownells and Winchester found the lost supply 🥸

db2000

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 27, 2020
    F7478BB5-BC68-4E0B-8C2A-2A1543082E85.png

Sad. It may be that Winchester is gouging them and both but pitiful it’s come to this.

People have been paying that for a while and will continue to do so.

Reactions: lash
    Sad. It may be that Winchester is gouging them and both but pitiful it’s come to this.
    Yup.

LGS had those on the shelf at $200. Newer shipment came in at $125. They charge a straight mark-up with no gouging.

Why would I sell for less, if people have demonstrated they will pay more?

___ Toilet paper (check)
    ___ Ammunition (check)
    ___ Lumber (check)
    ___ Gas (check)
    I hate to agree with this, but the logic is sound. The market is setting the price.

Here is what I am noticing in my area: ammo and firearms are going for stupidly high prices. And people are buying them. But the volume isn't what it used to be either. So, in order to keep the doors open the revenue has to come from somewhere, and the higher markup offsets the lack in volume, helping to keep the store profitable. Does it suck? Yes. If you are in the gun shop guy's shoes, your view is different and may very well be one of desperation with no other viable options visible.

Reactions: WaltHer and Pre64
    Why would I sell for less, if people have demonstrated they will pay more?

___ Toilet paper (check)
    ___ Ammunition (check)
    ___ Lumber (check)
    ___ Gas (check)

As much as I hate to say it, why not capitalize on panic and stupidity in most of these examples.

Reactions: candyx and Pre64
    Brownell's and a few others have been doing the rape-me prices for their ammo. Whether I should have or not, I bought some and I won't forget.

Market is being driven by supply and demand. These companies care about their bottom line, NOT gun owners. That being said if you paid that much for ammo I hope you at least got kissed before or after you paid for it.

Market is being driven by supply and demand. These companies care about their bottom line, NOT gun owners. That being said if you paid that much for ammo I hope you at least got kissed before or after you paid for it.
    This isn’t completely true. The companies have to care about gun owners - it’s their source of revenue. No customers, no revenue. Just because you can’t get it at the price you want doesn’t necessarily mean someone is intentionally fucking you in the ass.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
    This isn’t completely true. The companies have to care about gun owners - it’s their source of revenue. No customers, no revenue. Just because you can’t get it at the price you want doesn’t necessarily mean someone is intentionally fucking you in the ass.
    I can’t argue to strongly here because I don’t know their markup on the ammo.

I can’t argue to strongly here because I don’t know their markup on the ammo.
    I’m not trying to start a fight either just pointing out that they guys on the other end aren’t out to rape us. Except CTD, fuck those guys.

another factor that has come in is the price of raw materials increasing dramatically. Prices were going to increase regardless. Definitely not as high as they are, but they were going to go up.

List it for $0.01 in a 5 day auction on gunbroker....I think you will find the market price. I’m not in that market.
    Yeah I did this with two boxes (40 rounds) of Barnes .338 lapua mag and they freaking sold for $395 + $20 shipping! Next batch sold for $345. Marlin 1895sbl I paid $1100 for sold at auction on GB for $2700. We're price gouging ourselves. But in the end would you rather 1000 rounds of ammo or your US dollars that are losing value every day?

Exactly this. The honest free market price, the mutual price chosen that satisfies both seller and buyer, is quite easy to determine. A penny auction on Gunbroker answers the question.
    The hard answer is that ammo has become almost a mania purchase in the classic stock market sense. It’s the market price but it’s driven to a large degree by buyer emotion. No idea when that fades.

Jeebus... dont you all ever get tired of kicking the same fucking horse?!?!? It fucking is what it is, buy it or don't but stop being fucking whiners.
    The price isn’t really the point of the post but more that there’s suddenly a shit ton of it. 🍻

why not capitalize on panic and stupidity in most of these examples.
    Well, perhaps because truly well run companies always keep an eye on the future and if you squeeze the piss our your customers today, chances are high they will not be back tomorrow.

Just a thought.

Brownell's and a few others have been doing the rape-me prices for their ammo. Whether I should have or not, I bought some and I won't forget.
    You bought it willingly...

"And you won't forget" ,

Implying that you harbor bad feelings and blame them, like they wronged you somehow.

This fucked up victim mental disorder is a large cause of the problems with our society.

Don't blame Stanley for selling the hammer if you are stupid enough to hit your finger with it.

It's like blaming guns for violence.

Own your decisions both good AND bad.

It's called being an adult.

"And you won't forget" ,

Implying that you harbor bad feelings and blame them, like they wronged you somehow.

This fucked up victim mental disorder is a large cause of the problems with our society.

Don't blame Stanley for selling the hammer if you are stupid enough to hit your finger with it.

You’re assuming a lot..and projecting your feelings about the victim blame game on him. I’m not here to debate where society has gone with that because we likely agree on much of it but...

Your assessment of his actions may be accurate or may not. The opposite opinion may be that he feels he needs the ammo or simply wants it but has no other place to get it. Yes he bought it, because it was the only option, but doesn’t mean he has to forget about how they treated him...potentially as a life long customer that has been loyal to them and spent thousands of dollars with them.

Reactions: lash and Baron23
    Y
    You’re assuming a lot..and projecting your feelings about the victim blame game on him. I’m not here to debate where society has gone with that because we likely agree on much of it but...

Your assessment of his actions may be accurate or may not. The opposite opinion may be that he feels he needs the ammo or simply wants it but has no other place to get it. Yes he bought it, because it was the only option, but doesn’t mean he has to forget about how they treated him...potentially as a life long customer that has been loyal to them and spent thousands of dollars with them.
    and you are assuming that freedom of choice does not exist: freedom to wait, buy somewhere else or not to purchase at all. The responsibility of personal actions is still in play. Just because one gets caught up in herd mentality for the “right now” purchase doesn’t mean you always get the best deal. It also doesn’t mean that you exercised your free will to make the right decision. And that decision rests with the buyer, not with the seller since the buyer isn't compelled to purchase by the seller or any other force other than themselves and their desires.

This is phenomenally simple stuff. The decision to purchase ammo at the price was more desirable at the time than the perceived situation that would result in not purchasing it. So it was bought. Being upset at the price when it was totally within the power of the purchaser to not buy may be emotional but it isn’t logical. Placing blame on Brownell’s isn’t accurate; they didn’t force the purchase, they offered a product for a price on the internet for all to see and judge for acceptability. And the contract was entered into with them willingly, so it was found to be more acceptable at that time than unacceptable. Welcome to the free market. Caveat emptor.

Last edited:

God you used a lot of words to say nothing.

Try this on for size genius .

I'm smart enough to read words and comprehend them.

You are obviously having iissueswith that, but as far the ammo situation and Brownells and him implying Ill feelings because he's blaming Brownells for pricing...

As long as people continue buying ammo, thereby increasing the strain on production and the raw material pricing, which it's apparent both of you do not understand how ammunition is actually produced, pricing and supplies will not recover to more acceptable levels.

And, perhaps you should find out what Brownells actually paid for the ammo in question, and that would tell you how much profit they made or didn't make.

But I guess being part of the problem and blaming others and being ignorant about capitalism and ammunition production is apparently okay in Your world.

And I'm the guy over reaching. 🙄

I stand by my Stanley hammer example. It illustrates the victim mindset.

Reactions: Mwalex
    God you used a lot of words to say nothing.

Try this on for size genius .

I'm smart enough to read words and comprehend them.

You are obviously having iissueswith that, but as far the ammo situation and Brownells and him implying Ill feelings because he's blaming Brownells for pricing...

As long as people continue buying ammo, thereby increasing the strain on production and the raw material pricing, which it's apparent both of you do not understand how ammunition is actually produced, pricing and supplies will not recover to more acceptable levels.

And, perhaps you should find out what Brownells actually paid for the ammo in question, and that would tell you how much profit they made or didn't make.

But I guess being part of the problem and blaming others and being ignorant about capitalism and ammunition production is apparently okay in Your world.

And I'm the guy over reaching. 🙄

I stand by my Stanley hammer example. It illustrates the victim mindset.
    Since you insist on handling the conversation this way, I should’ve just drawn pictures with crayons for you.
    You’re clearly incapable of comprehending anything that was said and isn’t in line with your own opinion. You’re making assumptions and accusations about total strangers on the internet. That in itself shows how ignorant and immature you are. Hopefully that’s not too many words for you.

Since you insist on handling the conversation this way, I should’ve just drawn pictures with crayons for you.
    You’re clearly incapable of comprehending anything that was said and isn’t in line with your own opinion. You’re making assumptions and accusations about total strangers on the internet. That in itself shows how ignorant and immature you are. Hopefully that’s not too many words for you.
    Haha ha,

Yup, you're definitely the smarter one.

My logical and factual Input is trumped by your feelings and childlike understanding.

You win, I give up.

You know, there is another way to get this paid for: get a temporary second gig to buy all you want. While it is higher than in the past, its still not unobtainable. Sacrifice some sleep, get what you need, go back to sleep all happy and surrounded by your ammo.

Only kind of joking here. If you want it, make a way to get it.

Yeah, I get the unfettered capitalism argument.

But I had customers as a Prog Mng in high tech industry before I retired four years ago. If one of our customers was in a bind and we took advantage of their situation to stick it to them on price, or really anything else, they def remembered and when elsewhere for their needs. And IMO this is reasonable of them.

Businesses that don't put long term good customer relations over short term gain tend not to thrive....in the long term (oh, what a surprise! haha)

Just real world reality....which often seems to be somewhat rare in these often ideological debates.

Cheer

If you feel compelled to pay a high price for ammo then you are either late to the dance or just adding to surplus. If you are late that is your fault and there is only one person to be pissed at. Multiple posters have been pushing for years to buy ammo. If ammo was viewed as a critical resource then it would have been in hand already.

Well, perhaps because truly well run companies always keep an eye on the future and if you squeeze the piss our your customers today, chances are high they will not be back tomorrow.

Just a thought.

True to some degree, but if CTD had the only 9MM available, "former" customers would line up to buy it.

• Love
    Reactions: W54/XM-388
    Yeah, I get the unfettered capitalism argument.

But I had customers as a Prog Mng in high tech industry before I retired four years ago. If one of our customers was in a bind and we took advantage of their situation to stick it to them on price, or really anything else, they def remembered and when elsewhere for their needs. And IMO this is reasonable of them.

Businesses that don't put long term good customer relations over short term gain tend not to thrive....in the long term (oh, what a surprise! haha)

Just real world reality....which often seems to be somewhat rare in these often ideological debates.

Cheer
    I think you are absolutely correct within the confines of business where there exist a relatively few customers and there are personal relationships. That's not this particular environment. We are buying ammo in a very non-personal, high volume, almost micro-purchase situation where the customers are competing for the vendors goods as much as the vendors are competing for the customers' dollars. I have been in the situation you describe and discounts to customers occur frequently to help them out. However, it doesn't extend into long-term losses and it is done with the understanding that additional sales will be coming. In the ammo world right now there are no sales that guarantee the next one, everyone is shopping around. Its the closest thing to a perfect competition I have seen in a while besides haircuts.

"And you won't forget" ,

I own my decisions 100%, the one to buy at high and the one to remember who hosed me and make a conscious effort to patronize the vendors who had understandable increases.
    It's what adults do, remember who took advantage of them and the situation and those who didn’t.
    I'm not a victim of anything and don't need some half-assed psychological analysis from you or anyone else.

I own my decisions 100%, the one to buy at high and the one to remember who hosed me and make a conscious effort to patronize the vendors who had understandable increases.
    It's what adults do, remember who took advantage of them and the situation and those who didn’t.
    I'm not a victim of anything and don't need some half-assed psychological analysis from you or anyone else.
    Exactly. Doesn’t seem that complicated to me but you may want to add some pictures and use smaller words for those that can’t seem to comprehend this concept.

Reactions: ACard
    How many here are divorced? If your significant other had openly whored around before you were married and you still married her...

Let's see who gets the drift.

Apparently you are a victim.

You implied Brownells gouged you on ammo, without any evidence you accused a staple American company of shady pricing....

Show evidence they gouged you..... I'll wait.............

Yeah, that's what I thought.

They didn't make you pay for anything.

They didn't make you wait for the worst fucking time in history to buy ammunition.

It isn't their fault you weren't smart enough to know that only a couple of years ago, at a 12 year low on ammo WAS THE TIME to buy, with an obviously contentious election on the way.

But at the same time you come on here crying about ammo prices.

Go be poor and stupid somewhere else with your liberal illogic.

If you owned it as you say, this thread would not exist, you'd just pay high prices and accept your bad decisions.

But instead you post a thread degrading Brownells.

Adulting is hard sometimes. Try it, it's worth the effort.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Mwalex
    The price isn’t really the point of the post but more that there’s suddenly a shit ton of it. 🍻
    It appears so. Academy had this exact same ammo (Winchester M193) in 500 rd boxes for 299.00 night before last, and quite a bit of it as well. They were limiting purchases to 1 per customer though. Considerably better price than Brownell's, but you're right - it appears to be in much better supply than before.

Reactions: db2000

Just a thought.

They will lose some customers but they will continue to get new ones to replace them. Most companies are gouging to some extent so people will buy wherever ammo/reloading supplies are available.

This is all pretty simple. Be patient. Before you know it, there will be a shit ton of ammo out there. Where there is a void, entrepreneurs will fill it. If you value your hard earned dollars, dont buy ammo or wood right now.

Apparently you are a victim.

You implied Brownells gouged you on ammo, without any evidence you accused a staple American company of shady pricing....

Show evidence they gouged you..... I'll wait.............

Yeah, that's what I thought.

They didn't make you pay for anything.

They didn't make you wait for the worst fucking time in history to buy ammunition.

It isn't their fault you weren't smart enough to know that only a couple of years ago, at a 12 year low on ammo WAS THE TIME to buy, with an obviously contentious election on the way.

But at the same time you come on here crying about ammo prices.

Go be poor and stupid somewhere else with your liberal illogic.

If you owned it as you say, this thread would not exist, you'd just pay high prices and accept your bad decisions.

But instead you post a thread degrading Brownells.

Adulting is hard sometimes. Try it, it's worth the effort.
    I bought a new rifle and needed to aquire some Lapua/SK ammo, yea bad timing.
    Want your facts, big company Brownell's $18 box of Center X - little company Champions Choice $13 box, several times when I was patient enough to wait for it.
    So you can take your liberal sauce and spread it on the Bag-O-Dicks you can shove. I'm not bashing anyone, just facts brother, and I know liberals such as yourself hate facts.

Yeah I did this with two boxes (40 rounds) of Barnes .338 lapua mag and they freaking sold for $395 + $20 shipping! Next batch sold for $345. Marlin 1895sbl I paid $1100 for sold at auction on GB for $2700. We're price gouging ourselves. But in the end would you rather 1000 rounds of ammo or your US dollars that are losing value every day?
    Nah, I’ll just buy it at my local store or make it myself.

Fuck all the gougers. 👆👆👆👆

Doc

Ah yes, yet another thread where some think the free market shouldn’t cause ammo/components to be priced higher than they want to pay, regardless of demand or supply...

I'm not mad at the supply/demand.

I'm annoyed that a huge portion causing the demand are mostly tards buying shit up that wouldn't be able to stay alive past the first magazine.

Ah yes, yet another thread where some think the free market shouldn’t cause ammo/components to be priced higher than they want to pay, regardless of demand or supply...
    Not mad at supply and demand. However like the @TheGerman stated, when people are creating an artificial one.

tell me why my local store had ammo at normal pricing when these gunbroker sellers are still trying to sell at 10 times that amount.

paid 19.99 a box of 50, got ,my 2 boxes and then my wife did also.

get out of here with supply and demand BS.

proof

AF17BEF4-64D6-4898-AC7C-844EA87A239A.jpeg