• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I hate, HATE! Gracey power tools cutter blade

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
So I've been hunching over this damn thing for about a hour trying to get it to cut right, fuck it. I've trimmed thousands of cases with this damn thing but lately it hasn't been chamfering and deburring as well as I would like. SO i decided to be picky and try to adjust it, big mistake.

I know they have a cutter blade made by someone else. Does it work better than Gracey's? I know Giruad is the shit, but I'm a broke ass college student and its not gonna happen, don't bother telling me to get one. Is there and easy way to adjust this damn thing?

Re: I hate, HATE! Gracey power tools cutter blade

I think Giraud makes the carbide cutter upgrade for the Gracey.

Get the Giraud blade for the gracey, thats what I have on mine and it works great!

I saved my ass off to buy a Giraud and it was worth the wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get the Giraud blade for the gracey, thats what I have on mine and it works great!</div></div>

Same here

I think Bob Jones made a carbide cutter for the Gracey before Giraud did, but I'm not sure he still does. I'd head on over to Doug Giraud's site and get a new carbide cutter for your machine... it'll help considerably.

Good luck,

Monte

I tried the jones blade, and hated it, the cuts on the blade are really weird. The Giraud blade is much better IMHO, and the same price.

Jones carbide cutter is a breeze to use. Let everyone rag about how the other machine is better .... after doing stuff by hand or power driver and having blisters or my hands aching I finally got a Gracey (used, fantastic price). Love it with the exception of the cutting blade and I bought a Jones cutter and it didn't take 5 minutes to start trimming cases. Have no need for any other unit.

The OP said he'd been using it and then didn't like the chamfer cut.Being a broke @$$ student is no excuse. When I was one I used a power screwdriver. Spend the $30 or so bucks.

If yours has been used a lot you may need to adjust the pressure on the thrust bearing as well. I can tell you how to do this or you can call their support line and ask to speak with the son that does the phone technical support. Doyle suffered a stroke and can't hardly talk now. The son will spend all the time you need to make sure the trimmer is 100% adjusted right, independent of which cutting blade system you use.

I have been with Bob the last two weekends and he mentioned having to go to the post office and using his laptop often so I suspect he's able to ship small parts as needed even though he's staying out of the Phoenix heat. Keep in mind too with his or Doug's blade there is a front and a back. I bought a used Gracey here a year ago that would not cut at all. Turns out the blade was in backwards and someone had really eff'd with the motor alignment and thrust bearing pre-load. 10 minutes on the phone with the son and I was GTG.

Hope you get yours up and running soon and let me know if I can help.

Gracey has the instructions for adjusting the blades on their web site. Their directions are good, but you will have a problem controling how much the blades move when adjusting. I take a trimmed case and use it as a guide, just push the blades against it and tighten. If you don't like the chamfer, adjust your guide case in or out and reset the blades. Still not working? Hand trim a guide case to the chamfer you want.

While you have the blades out, it is a good time to stone dull cutting edges, just maintain the original angles.

Good shooting
Ron
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Morrison</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Gracey has the instructions for adjusting the blades on their web site. Their directions are good, but you will have a problem controling how much the blades move when adjusting. I take a trimmed case and use it as a guide, just push the blades against it and tighten. If you don't like the chamfer, adjust your guide case in or out and reset the blades. Still not working? Hand trim a guide case to the chamfer you want.

While you have the blades out, it is a good time to stone dull cutting edges, just maintain the original angles.

Good shooting
Ron
smile.gif
</div></div>

Or just buy a Giraud blade and not have to worry about it going dull ever again.

Agree with USMCj: Go Giraud

If you want to upgrade to carbide cutter from the High Speed steel that Gracey uses, then the motor upgrade that Giraud and Jones both have on their web site will get the best performance from the carbide cutter. I agree that the carbide cutter will will be better liked by everyone, with the exception of the ones that want more control over the chamfer for the odd ball extra thick and thin case neck thickness.

Good shooting!
Ron

I found the motor that B jones talks about on his site, same motor that Giraud sells for a shit load of money on ebay a while back for $40 shipped. I have been running the Giraud blade with 3k rpm motor and it works like a champ.

USMCj,

The motor I sell, "for a shit load of money" is not the same one that you found on ebay. The motor I sell uses real sealed ball bearings and not bronze sleeve bearings. It comes with a switchbox pre-wired with a 6 foot cord, all the mounting hardware, a new rubber hose and clamps for the drive link, a new carbide blade, and full instructions for the assembly. There is about 60 bucks worth of extras there over the cost of the motor, plus my labor to put it all together.

If you think that is unreasonable, then I challenge you to do it cheaper with a new ball bearing equipped motor and let everyone else know how you did it. Not a surplus rusted motor that is not guaranteed to work.

Doug Giraud
Giraud Tool Company

Doug, take it easy man, I was in no way bad mouthing your products! I am just a do it yourself'er and was able to find the parts for far less than what you were charging for them.

And the motor I bought was not a rusted surplus motor, it was a new in box Dayton 3k RPM motor that DID work. My entire Gracey trimer with your blade and the 3K rpm motor cost me less than $230 which is a steal if you ask me.

On a lighter note, if it werent for your blade, I would have tossed this thing in the trash the day I got it! because the blades it comes with are fucking useless! And I think its nice of you to offer the upgrade kit for the Gracey trimmer, very nice in fact! others would try to steal business away from Gracey, yet you offer upgrade parts for them to help people keep their trimmer working.

Having said that, If I had the coin to buy one of your trimmers when I was in the market for one, I would have in a heartbeat! but I was low on cash and needed a trimmer ASAP, so the Gracey fit the bill at that moment. If I could do it over again, I would have just waited longer and bought one of your units.