• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I HATE THESE THINGS.........

fpgt72

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
1702555064104.png

A few years ago I HAD to buy a new trimmer. I had a manual one, you know turn the handle, and without making some major changes to the trimmer you could not put a drill on the one I had.....ie there was no factory option to do it.

I had to buy a new one because of issues with my hands/wrists/shoulders....whatever. I would be in pure hell after about 5 bits of brass.....I just could not do it. So I started looking.

I know a lot of you are going to say you should have gotten that one that starts with a G. I am not going to try to spell that french sounding name. Issue was IIRC it used something like a die to hold the brass, and they did not have the dies for the odd things I shoot. Yes they had blanks, and you could have them made....seems like too much trouble.

Long and short I got the Hornady one that looks like a drill press. It actually costs about the same money as the other really "good" one, but this one requires very little "hand" action. I can set it and just slowly pull down on the lever. If you don't know what it is here it is.
1702555363010.png

I actually really like this machine....but shell holders. YOU NEVER HAVE THE ONE YOU NEED. #23 Should be here tomorrow.

Ditto ... shoulda got a Henderson. How does one that requires you to push and turn simultaneously ... solve the "hand problem"? I have Parkinson's, and for me, buying the Henderson was the smartest purchase in the entire reloading room.

Ditto ... shoulda got a Henderson. How does one that requires you to push and turn simultaneously ... solve the "hand problem"? I have Parkinson's, and for me, buying the Henderson was the smartest purchase in the entire reloading room.

I did not explain real well.

The old one was a push and turn, all manual.

This one the case goes in upside down and you just pull down on the lever and it will stop at the preset length.

When I was looking, this was a few years ago, this was the thing that pushed me away from a great many different trimmers.
1702563897861.png

The "more caliber options coming" is what really limits me. I shoot some not so common stuff. My first question would be could I use a 308 cutter for 311 sized cases, 311 covers a lot of things for me that are really "standards".

I needed something that had a really wide range of options available for off the wall flavors.

The "more caliber options coming" is what really limits me. I shoot some not so common stuff. My first question would be could I use a 308 cutter for 311 sized cases, 311 covers a lot of things for me that are really "standards".

Those cutter heads are adjustable. They'll fit most anything short of a 50, you just might have to turn your own pilot if forster doesn't make one in the size you need.

and for me, buying the Henderson was the smartest purchase in the entire reloading room.

If I lost all my reloading gear, it is absolutely a piece I would buy all over again. In fact, I did buy a second one when the movers 'lost' a box of my tools; although I got one with a motor this time.

I owned a Giraud and bought a Henderson to compare. I couldn’t sell the Henderson fast enough. If you like unmarred necks and even chamfers there’s literally no comparison. I should’ve known better. If you want the best quality and don’t want to or can’t press a case into a machine. Then get an Ampmate for your giraud.
8BAB9653-8412-48D1-8F40-0392524A55B5.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: culater and hkguns
In my Henderson I use the .30 cal cutter to trim .303 British cases (which load .311 diameter bullets). Same .30 cal cutter does .300 NM and .300 PRC cases...just a case-length specific / travel limiting bolt.

When I get my next press it's going to be this one, precisely because I never have the right shell holder.
Stock photo.

Attachments

• co-ax-press_CT1010.jpg
    co-ax-press_CT1010.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 18
I owned a Giraud and bought a Henderson to compare. I couldn’t sell the Henderson fast enough. If you like unmarred necks and even chamfers there’s literally no comparison. I should’ve known better. If you want the best quality and don’t want to or can’t press a case into a machine. Then get an Ampmate for your giraud.
View attachment 8296285

Can you provide a little more information on the Ampmate and what it adds? Just curious, I will google as well but figured Id ask. Love my Girarud but if I can make it better.........

Can you provide a little more information on the Ampmate and what it adds? Just curious, I will google as well but figured Id ask. Love my Girarud but if I can make it better.........
It puts the cases into the giraud machine and pulls them out for you hands free. Just dump a pile of cases into the case feeder.

That’s what I thought which is why I was blanking on the tie in with the giraud.

Love my Amp annealer but not ready to drop another $500 on the amp mate yet

Thanks

Those cutter heads are adjustable. They'll fit most anything short of a 50, you just might have to turn your own pilot if forster doesn't make one in the size you need.

If I lost all my reloading gear, it is absolutely a piece I would buy all over again. In fact, I did buy a second one when the movers 'lost' a box of my tools; although I got one with a motor this time.

Ok, but can you see how I would think you need a different one? The same with that "G" one. They have the same kind of thing.

As I’ve posted before, K&M sells a handle/sort of locking shell holder thingy that can be easily used with a Giraud to isolate your fingers from the vibration of the cutter. Works very similarly to the Henderson’s use of the Lee collet to hold the case. Eh, maybe an 1/8th of a turn to lock/unlock.

With this item, I find the main criticism of the Giraud to be eliminated.

Look down in this page for the other two parts you need. Think the whole thing comes to about $65 now…I think less when I bought 3 years ago (thanks Potato in Chief…sigh)

Ok, but can you see how I would think you need a different one? The same with that "G" one. They have the same kind of thing.

No, I don't - unless you didn't really look into how each functions. Which is fine, but isn't the norm when these machines come up. We're in the weeds debating minutia of using pilots or trimming shoulder to neck or base to neck...

It says adjustable and forster pilots right there in the image. The website has video instructions for adjustment. Giraud lists 'blank case holder' right there in the price lists (and also provides instructions on reaming it out), and if anyone needs a real oddball, I'd bet a quick email to either and they'd be more than happy to help out. Todd was super helpful when I ordered.

No, I don't - unless you didn't really look into how each functions. Which is fine, but isn't the norm when these machines come up. We're in the weeds debating minutia of using pilots or trimming shoulder to neck or base to neck...

It says adjustable and forster pilots right there in the image. The website has video instructions for adjustment. Giraud lists 'blank case holder' right there in the price lists (and also provides instructions on reaming it out), and if anyone needs a real oddball, I'd bet a quick email to either and they'd be more than happy to help out. Todd was super helpful when I ordered.

I would have seen *more caliber options coming and gone on to the next product without a second look.

That is how I read that, and really what I read. Why put that on screen in the first place.

Don't matter in the end, I am fairly happy with what I have, it was just a fun rant to start with. Never intended it to get this serious.

As I’ve posted before, K&M sells a handle/sort of locking shell holder thingy that can be easily used with a Giraud to isolate your fingers from the vibration of the cutter. Works very similarly to the Henderson’s use of the Lee collet to hold the case. Eh, maybe an 1/8th of a turn to lock/unlock.

With this item, I find the main criticism of the Giraud to be eliminated.

Look down in this page for the other two parts you need. Think the whole thing comes to about $65 now…I think less when I bought 3 years ago (thanks Potato in Chief…sigh)

That is another thing that is a full stop for me. I need something that will hold the case. Left hand is not too good, so if I thought I had to hang onto something I would have moved to the next product, even if that something is as simple as a power button. Turn it on and let it run, that is what I do. Be it dangerous or not.

With the thing I got, you lock the case in, and just put your hand on the handle and let gravity pull it down, you don't need to apply any force.

For ME it was what I thought would fit my specific needs.

I guess some of it falls into the as we fall apart we need to find what works best for us.

Reactions: Modoc