• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship I have a confession to make...

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA
    www.primalrights.com
    I flinch when shooting my .50BMG.

I have resigned myself to doing whatever it takes to break this habbit. It takes a solid 5-10rnds every shooting session to "settle in" and stop flinching. My .50BMG is the only thing that I really have trouble with. No matter what... the first few rounds never come together right. It sucks because now I have to sit down and slam out 20$ or so in ammo just to get past my brain's bullshit. lol

Probably just need to shoot it more and get used to it, as its pretty new to me and I have less than 150rnds down the pipe. The "trust" isn't there yet, and that is one hell of a big bang and concussion.

Don't have this trouble with anything else, except maybe my old man's 460 weatherby. They say the first step is admitting you have a problem...

Hi, My name is Orkan and I flinch when shooting my .50BMG.

Re: I have a confession to make...

well, id give your 50 a good home iffin ya wanna get rid of the shame. i wont flinch.

Have you tried dry firing it right before?
    I flinched pretty bad with my AR50 when I first started shooting it, I decided to start only shooting it prone and dry fire it first (5-10 times for me)
    I am still a crappy shot
    wink.gif

but it cut down my flinching
    (seems harder to flinch prone)

Yeah, I've got a routine I'm going through that helps. Dry firing, combined with a bit of breathing excercise.

I just needed to post my problem out in public so I could get made fun of.
    wink.gif
    Its part of the coping process.

Ear plugs and muffs (both)
    good wrap around eye protection keeps concussion from hitting the eyeballs
    make sure you don't have anything that can bounce the blast back at you (walls or solid objects like cars or trucks) the more open the better
    dry fire like said before
    old school trick of have someone else load for you and slip in some dummies
    try changing mouth slightly open to mouth closed
    last but not least a "good" brake design differences make a HUGE difference

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I just needed to post my problem out in public so I could get made fun of.
    wink.gif
    Its part of the coping process.
    </div></div>

Yeah, we all gotta eat some "crow" every now and again...
    grin.gif

Which 50 do you have? With the right brake, they are no worse then my 12 ga.

I quit shooting my M99 with the old 2 chamber brake because the recoil aggravated my neck injury. I have no problem shooting my 82A1. Barrett recently came out with a new 3 chamber brake for the M99, which I bought. But I have not had a chance to try it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: orkan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...
    Hi, My name is Orkan and I flinch when shooting my .50BMG.
    </div></div>
    Humph! You aren't fooling me; this isn't a confession, you are bragging that you HAVE a 50BMG!
    smile.gif

Damn, but I envy you!