• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have a Long mag action (on order) 7MM barrel and stock on the way. What to build?

buster hindend

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2012
I have a Bighorn long mag action (on order) a 9tw Bartlien barrel on hand and Manners called today and said the stock ships next week.

So.................

This rifle will be for deer and the possible elk hunt. I had originally planned for a 7mm Mag, and that's not ruled out either. But have been reading about guys that have used a long action for the WSM and SAUM cases to shoot longer bullets.

So I'm really open to the ideas of different cartridges. I'm really interested to see if anyone has used a short mag case on a long action.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Dakota. I built a 280 and wish I had just had a Dakota built. My druthers. What ever you decide on, make it with your reamer.

175 SMK's at Published 3k with many available powders. H4831, 22, 25, 7828-
You have to buy brass to begin with. Good Quality brass is available.
My 280 brass sucks.
Pretty photos posted from New Zealand of shooters digging it with the Dakota.
Lots to like.

I know a couple of guys over in Montana getting really long barrel life from 7 WSM rifles using h1000 et al. They are using long actions, IIRC. Not sure about magazine feeding though.

I have shot 5 mule deer and one antelope with with (3) different 7mmRemMag rifles.
I build 2 or 3 rifles per year for myself and one or two is always 7mmRemMag.
During the 2013 season, with 140 gr BT and H4350, I was running 11 gr hotter than Hodgdon's max published load.

2013buckRem7007mmRMShilenBansnerLeupoldCDSHarrisSLimbsaver.jpg

This 2013 mule buck was hit so hard at 477 yards that all 4 hooves rolled straight up as he bang flipped.

But have been reading about guys that have used a long action for the WSM and SAUM cases to shoot longer bullets.

So I'm really open to the ideas of different cartridges. I'm really interested to see if anyone has used a short mag case on a long action.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Ive been running a 7mm saum on a long action for a few years. Using a mcree chassis and mag feeding has never been and issue, and its nice to have all that extra mag room for seating the bullets as far out as needed.

I have a Sako AV magnum action chambered for 300 Win Mag and shoot 210 grain Berger VLDs , a very long bullet , I can seat the Bergers into the lands with max recommended loads and still have no compressed loads . Consequentially I have fewer pressure related problems and I'd suspect that you will enjoy the same . Nothing wrong with 7mm Rem Mag at all and brass is everywhere relatively cheap .
Get a full length Die and the collet die from Larry Willis at Innovative Technologies so you can size all the way to the Belt . You'll get many more reloads this way before needing new Brass. The only advantage I can see to the WSM or RSM is the stoutness of the short action they were designed for and the lighter overall weight of the rifle , your magnum length action negates any of these advantages regardless of the seating depth advantage you would get in your mag action . You will still get the same advantages with the standard 7mm Remington Mag . Check out the 7LRM from Gunwerks also if you are just looking for something different it's a beltless cartridge formed from the 375 Ruger . Good powder capacity and a longer neck than the 7mm Rem. which was their bread&butter before they developed it with Hornady ( I think ) !

7LRM, brass/dies available from Gunwerks. Check it out.