• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have a noob question

HVT Tyler

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
MN, USA
What type of papers do I need to fill out when buying a ar15. Like can I buy the gun first then fill out the papers.(this is my first gun)

Re: I have a noob question

If you have no felony charges on you. Just go to the gun store and tell them which AR you want. They will give you a 4473 form you fill this out in print spelling everything out no abbr. anwser the ?'s on it. They call it in to do a check and tell you yes or no.

Fill out your profile give a location (general) and someone in your area may help you out.

If i want to order the Ar 15. Do i fill out the papers before or after i buy it? { im ordering the upper and lower separately}

If you order as a complete rifle (upper and lower), you will: 1) purchase/pay for the rifle from the shipping dealer; 2) you will need to find a local FFL/firearms dealer close to you who is willing to do a transfer...they'll send the shipping dealer a copy of their FFL; 3) once the shipping dealer has a copy of your local FFL/dealer's paperwork (can be mailed, faxed, e-mail scanned), then the shipping dealer will send the rifle to your local dealer. When you go to pick it up locally, you will fill out the 4473 with your local dealer who will take care of calling in your BG check, and then release the rifle to you once approved.

Same applies if you buy ONLY the lower receiver.

If you buy just an upper, you can have that shipped directly to your home/business...no paperwork required for the upper.

DOH!!!

Actually...if you are buying a stripped lower receiver...you have to be 21 now as I understand it. Because of the "other" designation on the 4473, the lower can be built into a pistol OR a rifle. Since you must be 21 to purchase a handgun...you must be 21 to purchase a stripped AR-15 lower.

HVT Tyler, if you are in Minnesota, you need to go to the local PD/LEC and get your MN Permit to Purchase a Handgun. Takes 7 days, and it's free. Then, once you have your permit (and are 21 years old), you can go buy an AR just like any other gun. The permit is good for one year for as many handguns and "assault rifles" as you want.