• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have a remington 700 sendero stainless fluted. I bought this gun in 1998, its chambered in 300 weatherby mag. This gun has been absolute tack driver

gman1234

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2020
texas
I have a remington sendero chambered in 300 weatherby mag. I bought the gun new in 1998. I has been absolute tack driver out of the box. I can consistenlty get groups .25-.5inches with factory weatherby ammo. It is a factory gun with the original remington adjustable trigger which is set at 2.5lbs. Had a leupold vx 3 4.5-15 on it for 20 yrs. Now has a zeis 3-15x 50. I was shooting it the other day, after about 3 shots, after firing a round you can not hardly bolt the damn thing. The handle is hard to lift and extracting the case takes much effort, also the accuracy has gone to shit since this happened, it will not group at all. Im shooting factory weatherby 180m grain nosler accubonds. This gun has never had issues. Its always performed flawless no matter what weatherby ammo i run in it. It act like the cases are swelling after firing. Maybe a bad batch. I havent shot other ammo in it yet. I took it to the gun smith. Any ideas what's wrong here. The gun smith say give about a month to get to it.

You could be dealing with a carbon ring in the throat of the chamber creating excess pressures leading to excess bolt lift, which will also throw off your accuracy since it's over pressuring the loads it normally likes. I would have a gunsmith check to see if it has a carbon ring in the chamber before snatching the barrel and spending any money on it. He should know how to soak and clean and remove the carbon ring for you with minimal effort, and you might be able to get more barrel life out of a perfectly good tube.

If you do rebarrel it, I'd take a look into getting the new barrel chambered in .300 Ackley (if you handload). It's basically a .300 Wby on steroids, and you fireform brass from .300 Wby brass/ammo. So you can shoot your factory ammo, and out pops a fully formed .300 Ackley case ready to reload. 👍🏼 I built my Sendero SF clone chambered in .300 Ackley about 10-11 years ago, and it's a hammer.

Reactions: Surdez1994
Im shooting factory weatherby 180m grain nosler accubonds. This gun has never had issues. Its always performed flawless no matter what weatherby ammo i run in it. It act like the cases are swelling after firing. Maybe a bad batch. I havent shot other ammo in it yet.
So is this a new lot# of ammo or not?
If it is then there you go.

If it’s not then clean it real real good as recommended above. I prefer a nice soak of your favorite carbon dissolver in the throat for a bit and a good scrub with several patches. Maybe several soaks.

How many rounds on the barrel?

Reactions: Charlie112
The heavy bolt lift indicates more towards the carbon ring. If it were just poor accuracy then a bore scope of the barrel would be in order for throat wear. If it was that you would not have the heavy bolt lift as it couldn't get up to consistent pressure.

So is this a new lot# of ammo or not?
If it is then there you go.

If it’s not then clean it real real good as recommended above. I prefer a nice soak of your favorite carbon dissolver in the throat for a bit and a good scrub with several patches. Maybe several soaks.

How many rounds on the barrel?
the gun is clean, I keep it clean, its not cleaning issue, and it's new factory weatherby select 180gr nosler accubonds,, the gun is 25 years old and has had less than 1 box of shells a year ran through it,, lets be fair and say a box a year, so maybe 500 rounds in 25 years and this is extreme in reality prob 250-300 rounds in that time frame that includes sighting in, hunting, etc, at $100 plus a box it didnt get a ton of range time, which there was no need,

Thanks for the input..we shall see what the gun smith says..i've never had a problem out of a remington.. people think im crazy when i say a factory gun and factory ammo shoots consistently a .25 0r less group, but all my guns do,, i demand accuracy if they don't they are gone, my sps tacticals do it and so do my model 70 featherweights, gun makers bnuild quality rifles now, savage has stepped their game up and im not a savage fan but the shoot

The heavy bolt lift indicates more towards the carbon ring. If it were just poor accuracy then a bore scope of the barrel would be in order for throat wear. If it was that you would not have the heavy bolt lift as it couldn't get up to consistent pressure.
Thank you.. i keep the gun clean. it's possible, just blows my mind..and it only after firing,, the accuracy is in the gutter now..very disappointing

When you changed the scope, did you happen to change the rings, or take the action out of the stock ? Just wondering if it could be a screw issue anywhere.

only changed the rings, not bases, took off my zeiss and added a vortex viper with 30mm tube. You are right about screws at times if they too long or over tightened but i didn't touch them. I shot the gun 4 or 5 times before it started acting up. It seems like the cases were swelling , i didnt have other ammo with me at the time to see if it worked.. if i had changed mounts i would have thought the exact thing.. thanks brother..

Reactions: troupe
A carbon ring could be missed even with normal cleaning, unless you are specifically soaking and scrubbing that area. A borescope will tell immediately. The issue certainly sounds like that.

Reactions: gman1234 and FuhQ
You could be dealing with a carbon ring in the throat of the chamber creating excess pressures leading to excess bolt lift, which will also throw off your accuracy since it's over pressuring the loads it normally likes. I would have a gunsmith check to see if it has a carbon ring in the chamber before snatching the barrel and spending any money on it. He should know how to soak and clean and remove the carbon ring for you with minimal effort, and you might be able to get more barrel life out of a perfectly good tube.

If you do rebarrel it, I'd take a look into getting the new barrel chambered in .300 Ackley (if you handload). It's basically a .300 Wby on steroids, and you fireform brass from .300 Wby brass/ammo. So you can shoot your factory ammo, and out pops a fully formed .300 Ackley case ready to reload. 👍🏼 I built my Sendero SF clone chambered in .300 Ackley about 10-11 years ago, and it's a hammer.
Thanks..sounds like that may be the issue..i would hate to get rid of the gun it’s been great and taken a to of deer..

Thanks guys ..👍I’ll update when the gun smith gets back with me..in the meantime I ordered another one in 300 win mag and also a Christensen arms in 300 win mag..keep driving tacks fellows and thanks for all the input

The verdict is in. I took the gun to an excellent local gun smith. The bore scope shows some slight damage to the chamber(scarring). He says it looks as if something damaged it. I have no clue as to what May have caused it. Then gun always performed flawlessly. I had some small grooves in the chamber and throat. So anyways, I ordered a Hart barrel and he will be adding it and fine tuning the action and figment, rebedding it, etc….he says it will be an absolute tack driver when he is done..I didnt want to get rid of the gun. This is my first Hart barrel and customer build hope
It turns out like they say is should.