• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have a scope without a rifle. Suggestions?

johnnycat

Average on my best day
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
U.S.A.
Of course I try to keep a balance with high end rifles and scopes, but there's a disturbance in the force. I have a scope without a partner - one of those things that just happened.

So...I'm taking suggestions on how to solve this problem and get another rifle worthy of good glass.

By the way, the scope is an S&B PMII 5-25 MSR MRAD.

High End Rifles I have, either in possession or ordered:
GAP Crusader .308
X-Ring Accuracy 6.5x284
Blueprinted Rem 700 .308
LRB M25 (M1A) in McM A3 stock (sweet setup!)
Weatherby Mark V 30-378
Stiller Tac-338 .338 Lapua
Savage 10-FCP .308 (okay - maybe not high-end, but that rifle rocks!)

The last thing I need is another .308 and I'd rather not duplicate any other makers that I already have. Let me go ahead and rule out 7mm Rem mag and 30-06. I have a .223 without a partner, but I can't justify a scope like that on a .223.

Let 'er rip!

I should also mention that I'm a Southpaw

Re: I have a scope without a rifle. Suggestions?

Would you update each rifle above with what scope they currently wear -- I'd be curious to see if might even make sense to swap the 5-25 onto an existing rifle and free up a different scope.

Aside from that, I've written several times that I would give up all my rifles (including a Crusader) before my Sako TRG. That scope would be great on a TRG-42 -- you choice of 300WM or 338LM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamstur</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would you update each rifle above with what scope they currently wear -- I'd be curious to see if might even make sense to swap the 5-25 onto an existing rifle and free up a different scope.

Aside from that, I've written several times that I would give up all my rifles (including a Crusader) before my Sako TRG. That scope would be great on a TRG-42 -- you choice of 300WM or 338LM. </div></div>

Thanks for the reply. It would be a great choice. I'm a Lefty, though - should've mentioned that. Since getting my first LH rifle a couple years ago (after shooting RH rifles lefty all my life) I swore I'd never get another RH rifle.

I am intrigued by 300WM though. I'm new to precision shooting and have been more into hunting calibers until the past couple years.

I've never been a fan of 300WM because for me I could never justify it over 30-06 - and it's not .300 weatherby.

Ridiculous that Sako doesn't love southpaws!
smile.gif

Not sure how much coin you have available, but I enjoyed the opportunity I had to play with the McMillan TAC line!

I've got an XLR Evolution Chassis inbound because I don't own a tube gun. I had to have one because I loved shooting the McMillan TUBB 2000.

tube gun...there you go. Problem solved.

Now I need to configure something along those lines. This'll keep me busy for a week or two!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6MM in a XLR chassis?

Or some 7mm variant. </div></div>

Like...a 6mmBR or something like that or straight 6mm rem?

Also, lately I'm intrigued by the 6.5x47.

As far as 7mm - many choices. 7mm-08, 7x57, .284, .280 rem. I could go for something like that.

260 Remington or 260AI !!Ask Terry Cross about 260AI. David Tubb won championships shooting 6.5-08 or 260.

300 WSSM or one of my all time favorites the .264 WM just because I think its cool

.264 is cool I'm building one now, but you already have a 6.5x284. So, I'm guessing that won't be your first choice.
You are well covered in .30 cal and .338.
7mm? Best Bc's with reasonably recoil are 7mm
What about a 7STW? Or if you want less how about .280AI?
Where is your 6mm? A plain old .243 is hard to beat. I've got one that pushes a 95 gr. bullet over 3300fps when it starts to group up. Considering I can still walk into anywhere and buy ammo if I run out what more could I ask?
Ever hunt coyotes or varmints? What about .22 cal.? I've got a .22-250AI that pushes a 55gr bullet@4150 fps and groups inside .25"MOA it's truly wicked little round and I seldom miss because of recoil issues. I've never shot anything with it that didn't drop dead in it's tracks.

7 wsm is my current favorite. its a do everything round with 308 like recoil. Cant beat a 162 amax at 3150

284 WIN, 7mm SAUM, or 7mmWSM using 162 Amax or 180 VLDs.... Marc at Spartan Rifles is building me a 284 WIN now and can not wait.

3150fps with a 162Amax?? WOW. That's what I'm getting with 140's in my 280ai.

308's, 7mm's, 338LM,30 mags, 6.5's, 50bmg have them all, but my last two builds were a 223 AI and a plain 243 Win. Yeah downsizing alright and these little cartridges are sweet to say the least. Fast twist em, shoot heavie's and you'll have fairly flat shooting with very little recoil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBrown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3150fps with a 162Amax?? WOW. That's what I'm getting with 140's in my 280ai. </div></div>

yep 6.1 mils to 1k and will swing the shit out of a 10" ar 500 circle at a 1k

I think you should get a Daisy Red Ryder. That scope would rock on that weapon. It is a caliber not on your list of ones you have and it does not care if your wrong handed or not. Its perfect.

Looks to me like you need a fast twist .243 or maybe a 6.5 Creedmoor

You don't have an AI rifle, certainly one in 260 or 6.5 creed would be appropiate for your scope

I'll take the scope off your hands and your search will be over.

Otherwise I like Outlaws idea of the Creedmoor. With all of the 308 gear\brass that you must have the Creedmoor would be an easy transition load wise and a nice addition to the herd.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luvtoclimb1976</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you should get a Daisy Red Ryder. That scope would rock on that weapon. It is a caliber not on your list of ones you have and it does not care if your wrong handed or not. Its perfect. </div></div>

Those things are dangerous. You'll shoot your eye out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 375 CheyTac </div></div>

There is a very nice 375 CheyTac in the classifieds built on a Lawton action <span style="text-decoration: line-through">with a Bartlein barrel</span>. If I wanted that much rifle that's exactly what I would build on...The price is right too.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post3054073

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Johnnycat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6MM in a XLR chassis?

Or some 7mm variant. </div></div>

Like...a 6mmBR or something like that or straight 6mm rem?

Also, lately I'm intrigued by the 6.5x47.

As far as 7mm - many choices. 7mm-08, 7x57, .284, .280 rem. I could go for something like that.

</div></div>

Theres so many 6mm choices, 6mm 6br 6brx 6rat 6xc 6x284? 243win 243ai.

In 6.5 I'd go 6.5creed 260rem

In 7 I'd go with .284 7wsm 7saum.

You can use the .284 brass for your 6.5x284.