• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have confused myself( not hard we Marines do it often)

still_N_29palms

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Somerville, Alabama
Simple enoug to answer, yes I have used the search function, and yes I understand, nut still confused myself if I think about it.

To start off I got into an argument today with my father over distance and scope adjustments. He proved me wrong or right, I think.

Argument bullet on the 308 drops about 32 inches on average with factory loads. That we agreed. The coyote was out at 400 yrds his scope is set to 100 yrds. Mind you it is a 1970 Simmons 3x9x42WA with only tact markings and stating .2 @ 100.

I said to dail it up 8 MOA and call it good. I still think my math is correct.

He called me stupid turned it 32 tack marks and hit the yote. (no audible clicks on his scope and hunting reticle)

Now I am confused with my scope. My scope is in MOA/ MOA with 1/4 MOA adjustments. My scope would be 8MOA, just turn knob up to 8MOA adjustment I think.

But again he calls me stupid, saying I should just click it 8 clicks cause 1/4" at 100 equates to 1"@400 I said exactly then got lost again. no wait 32 inch drop 400 yrd or 8 MOA damnit hurt my brain again. I think I am lost because somewhere in this he confused me or proved me correct without admitting to it.
Ill prolly see it in the morning but it is eating me right now.

Someone clear up my brain.

8 MOA at 400 yards is about 33.5"...

He dialed up 32 clicks which is 8" at 100 yards...and/or ~33.5" at 400 yards.

You were both right...sorta.

And 1 click (1/4 MOA @ 100 yards) is 1.2" at 400...MOA is slightly more than an inch.

Your scope is the same as his...32 clicks is 8 MOA.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I want to thank you for confirmation. I had a moment of laps mental laps there. My father does that to me especially If I am right. That and a headache from family time this weekend.

For clarity...if you dialed 8 clicks...that would only be 2 MOA.

At 400 yards, that 8 clicks would be ~8.4"

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Your Dad was messing with you. He knew you were right. Just was trying to show you another way of thinking. My Dad always does the same thing just to see if I, or my brothers, will take the bait. Enjoy your time with him, when he is gone you'll miss these arguments.

At some point the table will flip and you will realize that it becomes you messing with him, when that happens make sure to go easy and start to make changes in life to have more time. You will regret it if you dont.