• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have finally achieved greatness

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Managed to run 500 9mm through the Dillon 650 with a MrBulletFeeder and auto case feeder without a single snag, hiccup, part flying off, upside down fucking something, stuck fucking primer in some space that it is impossible for a primer to even get into, or any other event that made me stop and have to literally tear half the machine apart and/or re-calibrate its angle with the axis of the earth while Jupiter is in phase.

I'm sure theres some of you that have managed this feat 10000 times. You also all probably have high blood pressure and have had to buy things like replacement reloading stools and have learned to patch holes in drywall.

I'm actually horrified to go and check if all of the dies are still fully screwed into the toolhead.

I finally became that knowitall smug looking motherfucker in the Dillon videos. I can check this off the list now.

Got a bunch of brass prepped, 4000 124 grn ball and pounds of W231 ready for a freshly set up S1050.

What load did you use?

This is my first dive into 9mm having finally bought a little bullet gun.

Reactions: simonp
    I tried. Got so frustrated that I sold everything. Congratulations

the biggest problem i have is the occasional sideways primer but i do not run a bullet feeder...and i always keep a new stool close by.

Managed to run 500 9mm through the Dillon 650 with a MrBulletFeeder and auto case feeder without a single snag, hiccup, part flying off, upside down fucking something, stuck fucking primer in some space that it is impossible for a primer to even get into, or any other event that made me stop and have to literally tear half the machine apart and/or re-calibrate its angle with the axis of the earth while Jupiter is in phase.

I'm sure theres some of you that have managed this feat 10000 times. You also all probably have high blood pressure and have had to buy things like replacement reloading stools and have learned to patch holes in drywall.

I'm actually horrified to go and check if all of the dies are still fully screwed into the toolhead.

I finally became that knowitall smug looking motherfucker in the Dillon videos. I can check this off the list now.
    How do you like the Mr. Bulletfeeder ? Takes a while to get it dialed in, but once that happens, seems to run pretty well. I’ve actually got a 650 set up for 9 and an identical setup for 45. I learned early on that “quick change” from one cal to the other was anything but quick, particularly with the additional headaches of having to re-setup the bulletfeeder.

Good Job!

mcRibb.jpg

Your first step isn't complete until you head to the range and find out if those suckers go bang or boom.

Safety first so wear glasses and some clean underwear, just in case...

Reactions: 1500varmint
    I tried. Got so frustrated that I sold everything. Congratulations

I mean when I first got a Dillon years ago, people were always going on about how hard caliber conversions were. Then I'm just shaking my head telling them that they just had to switch the caliber conversion parts in/out, put on another tool head and go.

After finding out just how many insanely retarded adjustments needed to be made to get this Rube Goldberg contraption to do fucking anything other than drive me insane for any amount of time, now I understand why no one wants to fucking touch or change anything on it.

Like you, there were periods of time where I just did not use it for months to a year straight because I just didn't want to fuck with it for 5 hours to make 17 rounds.

Reactions: fxdrider
    Like you, there were periods of time where I just did not use it for months to a year straight because I just didn't want to fuck with it for 5 hours to make 17 rounds.
    Here I thought it was just me. I wonder if the Mark7 is any better.

Congrats! I have a lnl bullet feeder that I've had over a year and still haven't setup. I look at it frequently, just haven't had the courage to give it a go yet.

I can beat that:cool:
    I HAD a Lee Loadmaster and one single time, i managed to reload 1500 32 S&W long, WITHOUT ANY MISHAP!!!
    It is a standing record and i could not repeat it, for as long i had that damned machine. I sold it to some unfortunate soul, but he insisted to buy it..... and i bought a Hornady instead.

Reactions: mtrmn
    This exactly states my experience.

It's crazy, once you pay attention to it, as to how many 'barely used' Dillons are for sale at any given time. I've ran into more than a few people who were excited about their 'like new' Dillon purchase that got a deal on as well.

I HAD a Lee Loadmaster and one single time, i managed to reload 1500 32 S&W long, WITHOUT ANY MISHAP!!!
    It is a standing record and i could not repeat it, for as long i had that damned machine. I sold it to some unfortunate soul, but he insisted to buy it..... and i bought a Hornady instead.

I have 2 RCBS Rockchuckers on the bench. Zero problems with either over literally 12+ years. In the same time I've been through 2 Dillons that I've made probably less than 5k rounds on between the two before this 500 round miracle due to just the never ending amount of adjustment bullshit.

The only mishap I ever had on the RCBS single stages was self induced as I one day forgot how to do math apparently, and vastly miscalculated the diameter of bushing needed in the die and turned a bunch of Lapua 308WIN brass into some weird 22 cal wildcat.

I now also see why there are people who have 4 of them; 1 for each caliber. Because if you're lucky enough to actually make it work reliably, don't fucking ever adjust anything on it ever again.

Initially I thought I'd produce ammo faster. Which, technically, its true. When its actually making ammo. But then add in 3-4 hours of me taking half the fucking thing about because every 3rd round did something different for no fucking reason, and I could have just been using a single stage.

And if we're bitching about setup; whoever designed the whole powder measuring system needs to be punched in the dick repetitively. Adjust a hex screw clockwise/counter clockwise with absolutely no gauge on adjustment. Then create a system that relies on the atomic weight of the protons in the kernals of powder in the hopper to create enough down force to actually spit out the same amount of powder each time and further complicate that system by needing 5, 10, 15, 20 throws per adjustment to see what its actually set up to throw. Maybe. This whole 'black magic' of making this work reliably has gotten to the point of people literally attaching small vibrating dildos to the side of the hopper via rubber band in hopes of making the powder settle more uniformly. Literally...people are so fucking annoyed with this entire thing they've gone to attaching dildos to the side of it in hopes of getting it to actually fucking work.

Last edited:
    I think the best I ever did with my loadmaster was 600, pretty normal operation was 1 flipped primer per 100. That number would go up, its was time for a new POS plastic pusher, or new primer feeder housing. I literally destroyed hundreds of primers with it, but it was still way less aggravating than loading handgun ammo on a single stage. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

'Bout 28 years ago I compared the 550 to the 650 and decided to go with the 650. It's set up for small primer since I only load .38 Super, .40 S&W and .223 (plinking loads, my match .223 is still loaded one a a time on a fifty year old 'chucker). Keep a complete tool head for each. Added a case feeder. Can't say why I haven't had any problems but I haven't.

I mean when I first got a Dillon years ago, people were always going on about how hard caliber conversions were. Then I'm just shaking my head telling them that they just had to switch the caliber conversion parts in/out, put on another tool head and go.

After finding out just how many insanely retarded adjustments needed to be made to get this Rube Goldberg contraption to do fucking anything other than drive me insane for any amount of time, now I understand why no one wants to fucking touch or change anything on it.

I change the S1050 in like twenty minutes if I wanted to and the tool head is ready to go.

Only reason ity takes longer is because I like to PM it and deep clean when caliber changing.

The trick with the Dillons is there are secret things that one needs to know in order to make them work that aren't in any manual which are essential and can only be learned through pain ...like the ubiquitous .45ACP case with a 9mm projectile inside on top of the primer follower rod.

The trick with the Dillons is there are secret things that one needs to know in order to make them work that aren't in any manual which are essential and can only be learned through pain ...like the ubiquitous .45ACP case with a 9mm projectile inside on top of the primer follower rod.

I do polish the funnels on my drops intended for stick powder, its not a bad idea on pistol set ups either.

Had the .45 ACP brass on my primer rod and there is now a nice imprint in my sealing of the case head stamp.....not a result of the brass.....that pesky .223 ammo with crimp when you are going to fast and you realize that you didnt swage enough on that particular piece of brass........it cause immediate ruination of underwear.

Been running the plain rod since I rebuilt the primer system years ago....primers still feed like a ticking clock.

I reloaded 9mm for a Bowling Pin League a few years ago. I guess I'd be reloading 9mm today if I shot more often. I have well over 5000 once fired cases and I could start up again and reload about 2000-2500 with the things I have on hand.

It's not always about the stores having stock on hand...

Reactions: camocorvette
    If you think the Dillon is bad, you should really try a LeePro 1000

I like my Lee Turret. Works very well.
    I don't shoot the 9mm taht much so its fine. If I had an Uzi I might want something better.
    When I get the AR9 going I may need to spend some more time with it.

1630370627524.png

I cheaped out when getting my first progressive press. Bought a Lee Loadmaster. worked on that damn thing for 3 days straight and never once loaded a single round. Sent it back at my expense and bought the Dillon 550c. I was loading ammo within the first hour.

Here I thought it was just me. I wonder if the Mark7 is any better.

for 9mm, 223, and milspec 308 for sure yes. The biggest problem with those three cartridges is case variation in the market place and crimped pockets. The Mark7 and Dillon 1050 both have more than five stations and swage on the up stroke. Mark7 now has a primer feeder that holds more than 100 primers too.

I can load 40SW all day on a 650 without a single stoppage. 9mm is the antichrist if it is mixed brass that I haven't loaded before.

I don't shoot the 9mm taht much so its fine. If I had an Uzi I might want something better.

View attachment 7694360

I had one of those and for the $100 I had in it it was pretty great. Once you start shooting a lot it gets to be too slow but that press is a fantastic value considering what you can do with it.

1630371640895.gif

Reactions: camocorvette

View attachment 7694360

LOL at wearing eye and ear protection while reloading at home.

Then again, I was literally worried that when I started reloading in my garage years ago (before I moved into a house with a reloading room) I was concerned about the 'fumes' from the powder being ignited by my gas burning water heater that was 15 feet away.

Only poors reload 9mm. @TheGerman

FYI. I reload 9mm…..

5.1 HP38 and 115 gr.
    Also load 124, and cant remember the load data.

Hey now, I never did it until 9mm was heading towards 1$ a round or some shit. Plus I figured with pistol reloading needing like 1/10th the case prep versus rifle, that this was be easy. The only difference would be......I'd have to use the Dillon. Unlike 99% of people buying and hording ammo, I actually shoot A LOT every week.

Before this, all the Dillon was ever used for was 5.56/223 brass prep and 5.56/223 non precision rounds. But since I basically always bought M193 and whatever 9mm, I never used the Dillon.

Reactions: powdahound76
    I hope my experience is better than yours @The German when my RL1100 gets here. Thing costed me a small fortune, but loading pistol on a single stage fucking sucks, im done with that shit.... I had a 750XL and sold it, the only real problem area I had was the priming system would turn a primer sideways or not install a primer at all sometimes.. Crossing my fingers that the RL1100 will be better..

It's pretty awesome once you've got a 650/750/1050/1100 w/ MBF cranking away where it doesn't fuck up and just pumps out rounds... but it takes a lot of dicking round to get it there.

I've toyed with the idea of doing rifle stuff on mine, but haven't yet and probably never will. For me, it's not the caliber conversion, separate toolheads, or any of that stuff. It's changing it back to 9mm and having it be all fucked up and having to go through all that over again... screw that.

I use 231 in .45 and .38 wadcutter....soon 9mm.

Smoky and smells like queef farts but I'm okay with that, I might even find it desireable.
    My favorite .45 load is a 200 gr LSWC with HP38. That is a smoky combo!!! Also do 158 LSWC in my 38 plinking loads for the same.....

Of course, go back to some Longshot or some other powder I tried reloading 9mm with when I was young, maybe Unique? Have to dig out a book to be sure and Im far too lazy for that! makes 231/HP38 seem like there isnt a wiff of smoke in a 9mm load.

Reactions: pmclaine

Hilarious. This post reminded me of why I am not going down the reloading rabbit hole. Now if I can only find a decent price on match grade ammo...

This is no time to start reloading.
    But don’t confuse reloading with the issues a Dillon presents.

I use a 550 for loading 9mm.

4.2 gr of VV N320, burns clean.

No issues loading 9 or 40S&W.

I load 45ACP on a Dillon 1050 and routinely crank out 400 - 500 rounds / hr.

Loaded tens of thousands of 38 Super on my 650 and the one thing that would make it puke was the lowly piece of corncob media in the flash hole. If I didn't inspect all my cases thoroughly, one of those pieces would get stuck between a case and the case feeder tube and things went full stop until I addressed the situation. There may have been profanity involved.

N320 is the wonder powder for 45, 9, and 40. I've got 12# of the stuff sitting in my powder storage area (closet in my home gym).