• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I have primers......how can i ship them

Boydo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Washington, IL
I just bought a bunch of winchester and cci primers. I want to know if i can ship these and if so how. Id like to help some hiders. I have plenty but will sell what i dont need. Anybody know what all is involved? Hazmat?

Re: I have primers......how can i ship them

I don't know why they would be any different from shipping ammo. Must be shipped ground only.

Ive heard ammo and primed brass could be shipped but not primers alone.

long story short, you can NOT ship primers unless you are certified by UPS or FedEx to do so. If its primed brass, you are ok, but just primers, NO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRSUMmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know why they would be any different from shipping ammo. </div></div>

They are MUCH more dangerous than ammo, and much more unstable.

You need special training to ship hazmat with UPS or FedEx and you have to sign a pretty serious liability waiver (that I would not sign).

Carrier mule? Works for coke...

Seriously though, shipping primers is a no no unless you have the paperwork. I'm sure you don't because you're asking though.

This is all really confusing. I went into the ups store and asked them about shipping primers. Girl said yup, we ship them all the time. I said its not primed brass or ammunition, just primers in their factory packaging. She said i know what they are, i shoot all the time. My husband and i reload. Im telling you we can ship primers.

So now i dont know what to do. I dont want this to back fire on me if she is wrong. But i have a shitload of primers that i dont need and want to sell

It requires Explosive labels and UN-numbers on the package. Sounds like UPS girl might do that for you, which would be great. However, I thought that UPS stores weren't allowed to take dangerous goods.

If they are federal 210m or 215m, PM me. I'm PCSing back to Ohio from Ft. Rucker next month and ill swing over and get them if you can't ship them.

USPS Flat rate box
cool.gif

You asked, she said it was fine. Get it in writing and it isn't your problem.

Ups will give you the proper labels. As a business, you have jump thru their hoops. As a individual, that's why they are there to help out. You may have to pay a hazardous material charge..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USPS Flat rate box
cool.gif
</div></div>

Double dog dare ya!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mudcat-NC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USPS Flat rate box
cool.gif
</div></div>

Double dog dare ya!!</div></div>

its been done... 1st time O got elected, and primer were 90$ per K

i just sold 2 box's at 120$ each on GB last week..

Ring,
Just because you did not get caught, does not mean it is legal. I would think the risk is fairly minimal but its not my backside on the line. For $120.00 per 1K I would be tempted.

Number of casualties in U.S. because of shipped primer explosions 0.0, totally ridiculous. I have personally never heard of a primer explosion during shipping. Who makes this shit up?

I bought quite a few cases of CCI primers from a dude here in TN a couple of years back, off of a statewide forum. He was an individual, not a dealer or anything of the sort. I almost shit myself when the mail carrier showed up with all of the boxes...they were not even overwrapped! CCI case boxes still factory sealed with USPS labels on them!

Many are probably too young to remember when primers came in a little tray less than 2" square with 10 slots. The primers were 10 in a row all touching. I think is was the late 80's and a whole truckload of Federals went up. As I remember is was it was just a big pothole and the driver died. Everyone had to redesign their primer boxes. That's when Federal went to the current box with a seperate hole for every primer and primers started shipping as Hazmat.

http://3gn.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=358562

Pic of boxes.

Primers are explosives, class 1.4 and require you to have a haz mat cert to ship.

Loaded ammo where primer is secured in primer pocket is considered Other Restricted Material Domestic (ORM-D) and doesn't require haz mat cert.

I just spent 4 hours with FedEx because of recent DOT regulation changes to better match with international shipping regulations. I had local manager talking to haz mat folks at FedEx corporate on shipping ammo before it was all said and done.

Do the rules make sense, no.
Am I really willing to pay the fine, which I believe is $25K, to ship primers when I'm not a haz mat certified shipper? Answer is NO.
If you want to ship primers legally you'll need to become haz mat certified shipper. FedEx offers a class on shipping haz mat but I don't know as that will make you a certified haz mat shipper so much as help you know how to fill out the haz mat forms. Personally, I'd just do a FTF sale on primers.

YMMV

The place to ask is not on the internet. Because everyone is an expert, just ask them. You did the right thing by asking UPS about it. If something comes of it, they deal with it. That's part of being in the shipping business. Now go back and ship your primers to your buddies and let everyone know how it went to clear up all the bullshit.

Doesn't quite work like that CS.

Hands down some of the worst advice I've seen at SH. Clearly you have not read, nor understand, shipping haz mat. Based on the time I spent with FedEx on this over the last week, I sure as hell wouldn't be putting my faith in the shipping company to prevent me from getting a fine for improperly shipping haz mat.
Shipping regs are available on-line or order a copy and read up on it.

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/resources/ship/idg/index.html

Contractual Service
Dangerous Goods is a contractual service requiring the shipper to comply with a number of internal UPS requirements, including:

Specific training in all necessary Dangerous Goods regulatory requirements as per IATA and TDG regulations
Approval of the specific commodities and quantities to be tendered to UPS
A signed contract with UPS stipulating the responsibilities of the shipper wishing to tender Dangerous Goods packages to UPS
Use of most up-to-date UPS shipping software and formatted shipper declarations, daily pickup service, and combination packaging

List of Acceptable Dangerous Goods Classes
Class 1.4s Explosives
Class 2 Gases
Class 3 Flammable liquid
Class 4 Flammable solid
Class 5 Oxidizing substances and organic peroxides
(ground only)
Class 6 Poisonous (toxic) (ground only)
Class 8 Corrosive
Class 9 Miscellaneous

Primers are a class 1.4s explosive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catskinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The place to ask is not on the internet. Because everyone is an expert, just ask them. You did the right thing by asking UPS about it. If something comes of it, they deal with it. That's part of being in the shipping business. Now go back and ship your primers to your buddies and let everyone know how it went to clear up all the bullshit. </div></div>
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with the above statement by McCourt. This is just like saying I asked the lady who sold me my hunters license from and asked her if I can use an automatic rifle to kill the animal. It's not their fault. There are guidelines and regulations that are written publicly for everyone to read and know the rules. If you break these how is it going to hold up in court that he/she said it was okay. You're the responsible one and take some responsibility.

Man I hate when people do this shit sometimes. Take responsibility of your actions. If someone tells you something and it's wrong. It's your fault for believing them and not finding out for yourself it is legal or not.

McCourt is right. I have to go through all that training and stuff at work, it is quite serious, and you can get fined big time.

The law (49CFR and IATA regs [for air carriers and international ICAO stuff]) state you have to have some type of training, but makes no stipulations as to what it has to cover, or how it's conducted; just that you need some type of training. (as far as my reading of the law has gone.)

UPS and FedEx have classes you must take to be qualified under their contractual shipping agreement to carry haz mat material. Freight forwarders and the like don't require any type of formal training with their company; but, they make me wary. DHL flat out won't carry anything. No matter who you ship with, by submitting a package to be shipped, you have agreed to their shippers agreement, which states they can search any and all shipments. Meaning, they can look in your package, and if they find something bad; you will be prosecuted. Hell, my FedEx driver was at his FedEx station and smelled a weird smelling box; got a supervisor and they opened it to find 5 pounds of weed.

Yes, I know of at least one exemption allowing for the shipment of explosives. It's on fire bottles (extinguishers) for aircraft, if the bottle conforms to certain dimensions, and is filled with a non-corrosive extinguishing agent. The explosive caps that release the agent are exempted. In fact, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You have a bottle under pressure with explosives in it, and you can ship it with no problems.

One thing that DOES have to be shipped via haz mat are aircraft black boxes. The sonar beacon attached to those units have a lithium battery in them, and lithium is a regulated material when it comes to shipping. Which is dumb in my opinion, because all aircraft that carry this stuff have at least one in them already.

Moral of the story, don't ship stuff that is hazmat. How would you feel if someone was shipping potassium without labels. The package got wet and the potassium ignited, setting everything on fire and killing the driver.

So if UPS says yes it's ok he should argue with her. It's difference for a business. The FAA regulates it if it goes by air. If something comes of it you will get a written letter warning. If its bad advice to listen to UPS well then take it up with them. Just cuz McCourt ships as a business it's not the same for individuals. This is how internet bullshit gets people thinking you can't ship certain stuff. Show me a case of someone charged with shipping primers Through UPS and getting fined. I deal with this same bullshit with internet rumors on class III items. Ask yourself why would the UPS lady lie and make shit up to him and then offer to ship it? As always if you don't want to ship primers because you are afraid dont. But don't tell other people they can't through UPS.

Man I hate when people do this shit sometimes. Take responsibility of your actions. If someone tells you something and it's wrong. It's your fault for believing them and not finding out for yourself it is legal or not.

Mohawk you make as much sense as a sack of rocks. How is it irresponsible to go to the biggest commercial shipping business store and ask to ship primers, and they say yea we do it all the time. If you haven't done it shut your mouth and take responsibility about educating yourself on private people shipping from a UPS store. Show me where UPS says you can't ship them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catskinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Man I hate when people do this shit sometimes. Take responsibility of your actions. If someone tells you something and it's wrong. It's your fault for believing them and not finding out for yourself it is legal or not.

Mohawk you make as much sense as a sack of rocks. How is it irresponsible to go to the biggest commercial shipping business store and ask to ship primers, and they say yea we do it all the time. If you haven't done it shut your mouth and take responsibility about educating yourself on private people shipping from a UPS store. Show me where UPS says you can't ship them. </div></div>

I have educated myself on the rules and regulations of shipping hazmat. I know how to read. There is this new thing called the "internet" where the government and businesses post these things called rules and regulations.I'll be a nice guy and I'll help you out on understanding what I'm talking about.

Clicky my linky

This is where you will find out that you're responsible for shipping your own materials privately and not as a business. Since it's so much different for the two....

Hey meathead there is a difference between a business that ships hazmat regularly, and some who just goes to the ups store to ship stuff. You were just wrong and can't admit it. So now you just learned something about shipping primers from a ups store. Now quit giving bullshit advice because you are a fraud and a think you know it all. This new thing to you called the internet isn't the best place to find your facts..........Kinda like where you found your French model boyfriend. Aah bonjour.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dinc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Many are probably too young to remember when primers came in a little tray less than 2" square with 10 slots. The primers were 10 in a row all touching. I think is was the late 80's and a whole truckload of Federals went up. As I remember is was it was just a big pothole and the driver died. Everyone had to redesign their primer boxes. That's when Federal went to the current box with a seperate hole for every primer and primers started shipping as Hazmat.

http://3gn.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=358562

Pic of boxes. </div></div>

Bullshit.

Remmy primers to this day still come sitting next to each other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catskinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey meathead there is a difference between a business that ships hazmat regularly, and some who just goes to the ups store to ship stuff. You were just wrong and can't admit it. So now you just learned something about shipping primers from a ups store. Now quit giving bullshit advice because you are a fraud and a think you know it all. This new thing to you called the internet isn't the best place to find your facts..........Kinda like where you found your French model boyfriend. Aah bonjour. </div></div>

So you're telling me that an individual who is not certified to ship hazmat can just go there and ship hazmat when FedEX and UPS clearly state that if you want to ship hazmat you have to be certified?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo'HAWK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catskinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey meathead there is a difference between a business that ships hazmat regularly, and some who just goes to the ups store to ship stuff. You were just wrong and can't admit it. So now you just learned something about shipping primers from a ups store. Now quit giving bullshit advice because you are a fraud and a think you know it all. This new thing to you called the internet isn't the best place to find your facts..........Kinda like where you found your French model boyfriend. Aah bonjour. </div></div>

So you're telling me that an individual who is not certified to ship hazmat can just go there and ship hazmat when FedEX and UPS clearly state that if you want to ship hazmat you have to be certified? </div></div>

I am watching you ^^^
internetpolice_zps3901c7e4.jpg

Mohawk I'm talking about primers ok. Not fire extinguishers or black boxes or whatever the hell else is mentioned. Damn near everything is hazmat now. It's a racket to charge more to ship stuff. It's like turning your cellphone off while your on an airplane. I suppose you will tell us that if you do the plane will crash. Because you found it on the internet. Show me someone fined or an explosion from shipping them. You need facts to back up statements and you are lacking them. So just stay on the reservation and don't ship anything Mohawk. Lets let this thread die so you don't spread more falsehoods. I gotta go ship out more primers now today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cox380</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USPS Flat rate box
cool.gif
</div></div>

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_016.htm#ep898664

341.21 Nonmailable Explosives

Nonmailable explosives found in the mailstream must be immediately reported in accordance with POM 139.117.

Nonmailable explosives include, but are not limited to, the following:

Common Fireworks. Fireworks are classified as Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosives depending on the degree of hazard. Fireworks include roman candles, skyrockets, helicopter–type rockets, cylindrical and cone fountains, pyrotechnic wheels, illuminating torches, firecrackers, salutes, and combinations of items that are designed to produce any of the aforementioned types of effects. All types of fireworks are prohibited from mailing.
Fuses. Fuses are classified as Division 1.3 or 1.4 explosives depending on the degree of hazard. All types of fuses (except safety fuses as permitted under 341.22) are prohibited from mailing.
Small Arms Ammunition. Ammunition is classified as a Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosive, depending on the degree of hazard. Ammunition that is regulated as a Class 1 explosive and designed to be fired from a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun, <span style="font-weight: bold">as well as associated primers and blank cartridges (including those designed for tools) and propellant powder for use in any firearm, is prohibited from mailing.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catskinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So if UPS says yes it's ok he should argue with her. It's difference for a business. The FAA regulates it if it goes by air. If something comes of it you will get a written letter warning. If its bad advice to listen to UPS well then take it up with them. Just cuz McCourt ships as a business it's not the same for individuals. This is how internet bullshit gets people thinking you can't ship certain stuff. Show me a case of someone charged with shipping primers Through UPS and getting fined. I deal with this same bullshit with internet rumors on class III items. Ask yourself why would the UPS lady lie and make shit up to him and then offer to ship it? As always if you don't want to ship primers because you are afraid dont. But don't tell other people they can't through UPS. </div></div>

I doubt the person behind the counter was a DG/Haz Mat specialist for UPS. UPS lady knows they ship primers, doesn't mean she knows all the regulations for shipping primers or other class 1.4s explosives.

Shipper, the person offering Haz Mat package to carrier, has to meet requirements of a haz mat shipper. Personal or business, there is no difference. Read the regs or if you don't trust a .gov site I'm sure they would be happy to send you a printed copy.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/hazmat/complyhmregs.htm#hms

OP asked how he could do this legally. What you are suggesting is not legal. However, have to get caught before it becomes illegal. All goes smooth, no big deal. When it doesn't go smooth and there is an incident, the rules are not in your favor and what the UPS lady said isn't going to mean diddly squat. He didn't ask for us to cite when there was an explosion, an incident, or last time somebody got fined. He asked how he could do this legally.

I've seen no evidence from you other then conjecture and bluster that it is in fact legal to ship primers as an individual. Did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Anyone who believes the "UPS lady told me I could" defense will stand up in court has some expensive pain in their future. UPS doesn't take over the shipper's responsibility to follow federal law just because they have an incompetent employee. You will both get dinged. The difference is, UPS makes a billion dollars a quarter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catskinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So just stay on the reservation and don't ship anything Mohawk. </div></div>

I don't ship primers, you're correct, because it's expensive due to the hazmat fee. I do ship other items legally, but just don't do it as often as others probably.