• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Spotters I have to admit, Swarovski makes damn fine spotting glass!

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    I’ve been using my Hensoldt Spotter 45 with Tremor4 Reticle, but damned if my 95mm Swaro BTX — with 1.7x TC installed — doesn’t get me substantially closer to the target. Sure, the complete lack of a reticle sucks a bit, and seems to be an area where Swaro could make etched 1.7x TC’s with different reticle options, since they’re not that expensive.

Anywho, even with the TC installed, it is still critically sharp with minimal CA. I suck something awful at TTL photos, and my new iPhone 13 Pro Max Blah Blah Blah makes it even more difficult, but I managed to haphazardly snap a couple of modestly representative TTL pix — zero post processing, Parkinsons Shake and frustrations galore, so there’s some motion blur, but even with that, you get the idea.

3911936C-EF24-4E34-B6DB-70B66560FBA0.jpeg

B368BDA1-AC09-4700-A4CC-7A2FBBD6856D.jpeg

I’ve been trying to decide between the 95mm and 115mm objective. Good to know you both like the 95. I‘m not worried about weight as I will be using it for spotting groups of hits on steel from 350-1400 yards. Our range has had problems finding spray paint, so the targets don’t get painted as often as before. I have a 13 year old Swaro 80mm and thought I would update to see the targets more clearly.

Reactions: TheHorta
    While I’m beyond ecstatic with the 95mm, if I did it over again I’d probably go with the 115mm.

Reactions: J Scott
    I’m going to buy a 115mm objective. It’ll bring in more light with the BTX.

Depending how I like it I might use it for backcountry hunts even.

I have the 95mm ATX and love it, I had considered buying the 1.7X magnifier so its good to hear you like it.

I find it crazy clear on the low end but not quite as crisp when I get up to the upper end (70X) - anyone else notice this?.

Maybe the 1.7X magnifier would help?

I can remember the first time I looked through a Swaro spotter.
    I was in central Washington building swimming pools and after work me and the boss would get his ok spotting scope out and look at a giant herd of elk across the river about 1.5 to two miles away.
    Later that year he got a nice Swaro and it was mind blowing the difference it made.
    The detail even at that distance was impressive.

I usually use a cheap bushy T because I love the reticle but have access to a Kowa 883 which is also phenomenal but a dual eyeball set up is noticeably more comfortable.

Maybe I’m off on this but being able to use both eyes like binoculars seems to me about an instant 30% or more improvement compared to identical glass with one eye.

I can remember the first time I looked through a Swaro spotter.
    I was in central Washington building swimming pools and after work me and the boss would get his ok spotting scope out and look at a giant herd of elk across the river about 1.5 to two miles away.
    Later that year he got a nice Swaro and it was mind blowing the difference it made.
    The detail even at that distance was impressive.

I usually use a cheap bushy T because I love the reticle but have access to a Kowa 883 which is also phenomenal but a dual eyeball set up is noticeably more comfortable.

Maybe I’m off on this but being able to use both eyes like binoculars seems to me about an instant 30% or more improvement compared to identical glass with one eye.
    Yeah, especially with the larger objectives. Binos is a huge help / advantage. Much more clear and comfortable using both eyes open.

Yes! Love my Swarovski 85 ATX. The magnifier is great as well. Planning to get the 115 and the ATX APO 43mm telephoto lens for a mirrorless Sony camera. Video and pics will be amazing through it!

• Love
    My vortex can do that! Said nobody who is truthful.

Swaro atx and kowa prominar are the two best optical quality (resolution/contrast/color etc) spotters out there IMO. The swaro has a more pleasing cooler tone, but the Kowa resolves right with it and controls CA a tiny bit better. The Hendsoldt are nice because they are more compact and have long eye relief with a ffp reticle, but optically they aren't as good as many of the top end spotters including some of the other Japanese offerings like Maven and Vortex Razor. Hopefully more companies will follow Swaro's lead and make a BTX like spotter/adapter.

I’ve been using my Hensoldt Spotter 45 with Tremor4 Reticle, but damned if my 95mm Swaro BTX — with 1.7x TC installed — doesn’t get me substantially closer to the target. Sure, the complete lack of a reticle sucks a bit, and seems to be an area where Swaro could make etched 1.7x TC’s with different reticle options, since they’re not that expensive.

Anywho, even with the TC installed, it is still critically sharp with minimal CA. I suck something awful at TTL photos, and my new iPhone 13 Pro Max Blah Blah Blah makes it even more difficult, but I managed to haphazardly snap a couple of modestly representative TTL pix — zero post processing, Parkinsons Shake and frustrations galore, so there’s some motion blur, but even with that, you get the idea.

View attachment 7789999

View attachment 7790000
    wowo_O
    o_O

To be honest, I read this sitting on the toilet on my phone so only saw a small portion at a time. Was reading and was like cool, he loves it can’t wait to see the picture of a tree he took through the lens that is 2.5 miles away. Scroll down some more, the fucking moon?! God damn!

View attachment 7789999

View attachment 7790000
    that's awesome

That’s pretty darn sharp! Is that the whole photo or cropped?

Below is my old-ass iPhone 6s Plus and a Vortex Razor 27-60x85. Uncropped. Definitely not as sharp (or as close up if your shot is uncropped). I think it was on 60x (edit: nope, see below).
    D5C58BA0-C45A-41B3-BB87-FB01E47605CC.jpeg

Last edited:
    Not cropped. Unretouched.
    I must’ve been wrong about the magnification on my shot then. If I’m figuring out your setup’s top magnification correctly, both our scopes should be equal at 60x. I do know I was trying to do a time-lapse of the moon traversing the sky, so that makes since then that I backed off the mag a bit.

Too bad it’s 5F degrees out, or I’d give it a go again.

It really is marvelous to watch that big block of cheese way out there, isn’t it? Much better than a still pic. Moves surprisingly fast too.

I've got the ATX 95 with APO adapter for my Canon R6. It's upside down looking from down here, but the image quality through this glass is pretty awesome.

Backed out the magnification a bit to get the whole moon in the shot.

_LEE7259.jpg

I love mine!

Family loved it too, looking at various planets. Mars and Jupiter if I recall right.

I was spoiled the first time I looked thru a Leica survey scope.
    Yea, those things on yellow tripods on the side of the road.
    Disgustingly nice glass.
    Still have an older Swarovski professional hunter scope and it has very nice glass, just a bit dated.

I have the exact setup. Love it. Been thinking about the 115 lens lately. Might pull the trigger for it this year sometime.

How does this set up compare to an STR? I really like the idea of a reticle. I realize you loose the binocular option, but is clarity between the models similar?

They always have! My younger brother has a Swaro spotter, impressive pieces.

I consider my BTX the best shooting/hunting money I've ever spent. And that covers a few years.....😄

So… love me some Swaro so much that went and added 95’s Big Bro — 115mm BTX — to the stable.

8C21D710-5C9A-47C5-8D40-C9CC60227518.jpeg

Moon photos from Friday night — AUG-12. Handheld iPhone through right BTX eyepiece.

First photo without 1.7x TC installed:
    FD73CE7B-2226-44BD-869F-8BF8EC850D34.jpeg

This photo with 1.7x TC installed:
    BDA25696-C5BA-4F24-98D1-35DFA67AB580.jpeg