• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I hope I'm doing this well at 83

My wife’s grandmother turned 99 last year. Still lives in the same house that she raised her family in 70ish years ago. She voluntarily stopped driving last year too. Not “wealthy,” by any means.
Good for her having the sense to stop. Mom quit at about 90.

My grandfather, drove up to his death at age 94. He was still sharp as a whip in all areas.
He started driving in the mid 30s as a young boy. Maybe 12-14 yrs of age. Times were very different then.
He practically drove his whole life. Only accidents were blizzard conditions.

In his 80's my grandfather could outwork any HS kid in his small town. The Dr's put a pacemaker in about 82/83 and he complained he could feel it moving in his chest when he ran to the barn (about 1/4 mile). He had a piece of pipe hung under the pole shed at his shop to do pull-up. When he was 84 he did a double flip off the top of a hay truck when it hit a terrace. Landed on his neck. We ran him to the larger small town hospital and the X-ray machine was broken and would be a week before they got parts. They put him in traction. After 2 days of that he said thats enough and told them to unhook him he was going home. He passed at 96 of a broken heart from grandmother passing and having to move off his place to Houston.
Born in 1896, he told stories of driving a Stutz Bearcat on the only single lane blacktop around, seeing an airplane for the first time, when he was a kid driving a wagon load of logs to town and having to pull a SA Colt on a man that tried to hit a crippled friend with a shovel, his dad was the local "Marshall" and the locals had to have a meeting with the guy to correct his attitude. He was in his 70's when he took his first plane ride.
I think of him and miss every day.

In his 80's my grandfather could outwork any HS kid in his small town. The Dr's put a pacemaker in about 82/83 and he complained he could feel it moving in his chest when he ran to the barn (about 1/4 mile). He had a piece of pipe hung under the pole shed at his shop to do pull-up. When he was 84 he did a double flip off the top of a hay truck when it hit a terrace. Landed on his neck. We ran him to the larger small town hospital and the X-ray machine was broken and would be a week before they got parts. They put him in traction. After 2 days of that he said thats enough and told them to unhook him he was going home. He passed at 96 of a broken heart from grandmother passing and having to move off his place to Houston.
Born in 1896, he told stories of driving a Stutz Bearcat on the only single lane blacktop around, seeing an airplane for the first time, when he was a kid driving a wagon load of logs to town and having to pull a SA Colt on a man that tried to hit a crippled friend with a shovel, his dad was the local "Marshall" and the locals had to have a meeting with the guy to correct his attitude. He was in his 70's when he took his first plane ride.

Nice story, 3 cheers for your grandpa

Reactions: camocorvette

My grandfather was much the same. I remember watching him push a steel wheeled wheelbarrow up a steep rough hill at 70.

Reactions: 96coal449