• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I know i'm gonna catch hell for this one

JM_223

Private
Minuteman
May 19, 2010
East Wenatchee,Washington,U.S.A.
But out of all the rimfire posts i've looked over here on the hide i've yet to see or hear anyoe mention H&R rifles.

I just wondered what was up with that? times are tough and money is tight. H&R makes a quality product and i think they should get a little notice.

H&R sportster chambered in .17HMR
DSCN1041.jpg

DSCN1047.jpg

Re: I know i'm gonna catch hell for this one

And for the big question??? How accurate is it at 50Y ?

Minute of popcan...Minute of tweety bird
wink.gif
or minute of dime ?

There's nothing wrong with a H&R rifle. One of the best shooting 22's I ever had is a M12 H&R. Very accurate and a good trigger as well. Another one I should never have sold. I'd like to know how well your rifle shoots. I'm curious to see if the breech locking system of a break open has a negative effect on accuracy. I'd think if the lock up is tight it should not but shooting one is the only real test as for 22's.

Donald

Those little rifles are usually alot more accurate than the shooter. And with it being a single shot it will make the shooter be alot more accurate too knowing that he only has one shot especially if he is hunting. No reason for any hell to be given to you.

I like them Single shots! I was very tempted to buy a couple NEF's over the weekend. One in .223 and one in .308. Wasnt sure on their accuracy though so held off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Don in SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's nothing wrong with a H&R rifle. One of the best shooting 22's I ever had is a M12 H&R. Very accurate and a good trigger as well. Another one I should never have sold. I'd like to know how well your rifle shoots. I'm curious to see if the breech locking system of a break open has a negative effect on accuracy. I'd think if the lock up is tight it should not but shooting one is the only real test as for 22's.

Donald </div></div>

Not slamming H&R's.

I have a youth version h&r,Rossi,can't remember which that's been sitting in the corner of gun closet 3-4 years now.IIRC it has reasonble accuracy,minute of shotgun shell hull at 25Y.

Funny you should ask though about how my 22 rifle shoots cause earlier today I shot the smallest 5 shot 50Y group I've ever shot with my factory Ruger 10-22 race rifle.In the low .2's.The other 2 groups were 1/2" or less
grin.gif

Just got one worked up for a good friend of mine this week. 22 250 HR. Sent it off to have the trigger done at the Rem service center. Returned with an OK trigger, experienced light primer strikes, returned again for a barrel lock up issue. Returned 7 weeks later, and shot decent. .75 with a 5 shot group with Win white box 45 gr JHP's on an 89 deg day with light wind (simmons atec scope). It is what it is, a decent 100 yard or so hunting rifle for not much money.

no hell dished out at all, it's actually a smart purchase. the ability to change from rimfire to centerfire, to shotgun to muzzleloader.

plus the single shot in a hunting scenario forces you to be patient and make sure that the shot is the best one you can take.

i had a "single" shot .223 over 12 ga. removable choke, FO sights, and a 4-12 optic, m24 savage that for some reason i sold, and was dumb of me to do so. after trigger work, it shot just fine. 12 turkeys easily taken at 10 yards out to 160 over the time i've had it, along with a deer with a slug and countless squirrel and wwodchuck.

it wasn't pretty, but that didn't matter. it did get to be a bit heavy for walking around with, and seemed to get heavier as i got older, perhaps that's the reason i left it go.

other than the weight, if there was one gun to choose for an al around stick, it would probably be that or the rossi / h&r / nef styled rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ed Kurzawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like them Single shots! I was very tempted to buy a couple NEF's over the weekend. One in .223 and one in .308. Wasnt sure on their accuracy though so held off. </div></div>

If you buy the .308, you can get a factory fitted .223 barrel for it but H&R will NOT fit a .308 barrel to a .223 receiver.
H&R are really great utility guns. I have a .223 with extra 12, 20, .410 and .357 barrels. The only pain is having to send your receiver to the factory for fitting extra barrels so it makes sense to have several fitted at the same time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no hell dished out at all, it's actually a smart purchase. the ability to change from rimfire to centerfire, to shotgun to muzzleloader. plus the single shot in a hunting scenario forces you to be patient and make sure that the shot is the best one you can take. </div></div>

You can put a shotgun barrel on a rifle receiver, but not a rifle on a shotgun receiver and rimfire receivers can only take rimfire barrels, not center fires.

I had a .308 but I gave it to my godson for hunting in PA. He got a 20ga slug barrel for it so he can use the same gun in NJ.

yeah and the fact that i can shoot the piss out of this barrel and get a new one for $75 or a .22lr or .17m2 is great.

I guess i just figured with all the gaps and other high end gear talked about here on the hide i would get laughed at for running a rifle that cost $160.38 with tax and a $79 bushnell banner in a 3.5-10x36mm.

i have one in 223 and 1 in 243...sure have killed a lot of deer and groundhogs with them

I gots one of those in .17HMR. Painted the crap out of it (its my paint guinea pig) and made a flat forend out of epoxy and a little hook in the buttstock. Not making any accuracy claims, like Minute of Dime or Quarter...what have you...but its fun chasing golfballs around at 100 yards with a 4 power BSA.
grin.gif
Next time I'm out I'll see what happens with grouping.

And I just did a quick google...heres a link with Barrel info and ordering schtuff from the H&R website.

Linkage.

And on the topic of Sportster barrels: "Sportster™ frames can only be fitted with the Sportster™ barrels listed below. H&R 1871, LLC will only fit these barrels to Sportster™ frames manufactured by H&R 1871, LLC, with the New England Firearms® brand name. (These barrels will not fit Pardner® shotgun or Handi-Rifle™ frames due to the location of the firing pin.)"

Picture904Large.jpg

thats funny. i have a NEF survivor in 308. i want to get a .223 and either 12 or 20 ga for it. i read a review of it and they had said that a few small LE depts were using it as a tac rifle. i like mine but i havent shot it yet. its got a 24" heavy barrel on it. not sure of the twist. and you do have to send the reveiver in for new barrels as they dont interchange but need to be "fitted" as i was told. and 308 is the best base it sounds like as you can add and caliber or gauge barrel to that receiver

for $200 with a scope at a local show, its a bargain i felt. then finding i could add other barrels makes it a nice option. plus its just small and light. give them a shot. stock has storage too

4993724272_86351bd4d4_z.jpg

oh yeah, great trigger. no creep, just break. very suprised at that

The H&R M12 is the most accurate .22LR rifle I've ever fired. It's been fired many times at 200 yards with Palma iron sights. The stock is clunky like a tree trunk but the sucker will really shoot! I rigged mine with a bipod and I recommend it highly.

Flash

I have a Survivor with a 223 and a 308 barrel. I don't know why I got the 223, cause I just do not like the round, and have no use for it.
Good shooter, though.
I have some extraction issues with reloads, even with light loads. I must be doing something wrong.

Now you all have me thinking about one. Any idea how hard the triggers are to replace or rework?

I think that if H&R offered a heavy barrel version chambered for 300 Whisper and threaded muzzle, they would sell them like hot cakes. I know I want one. I wonder about a suppressed 30-30.

I've always heard good things about their accuracy in the calibers they offer. Nothing wrong with a break open action. H&R back in the 1880's made a 45-70 long barrel buffalo rifle that was a break open design. Many a shotgun both single and double barrel were break open and many in 10 guage. These rifles are work horses and should give you many years of good use IMHO.
smile.gif

the single shot rifle make excellent supressor host since you dont have the added length of a bolt action.

IMG00470-1.jpg

this is a 16" barrel308 and aac cyclone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucky Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now you all have me thinking about one. Any idea how hard the triggers are to replace or rework? </div></div>

try it first, but it looks like a standard cross pin action, like a 1911 kinda. i bet if you called NEF you could get it chambered in any caliber you wanted. they make them all there, they have 30 cal blanks, you would just need the reamer right? they were totally easy to talk with when i called about extra barrels.

its as long as my lr308 dpms with a 18" barrel and its got a 24" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i bet if you called NEF you could get it chambered in any caliber you wanted. they make them all there, they have 30 cal blanks, you would just need the reamer right? they were totally easy to talk with when i called about extra barrels.
</div></div>

A few years ago, I asked them about the possibility of obtaining extra barrels in .32H&R Magnum and 7.62 x 39 Russian, but was told that they do NOT make custom barrels. Perhaps that has changed since Remmington bought them.

surely they could do a non chambered 30 cal at the least. you would think so

I'm hoping for a heavy contoured .22LR finished at 20". They only offer the .22LR barrels in the smaller contour and at 22"...but they have 22" heavy .22WMR barrels. Again, couldn't be that hard right?

The long run idea is to have it threaded and run an AAC Prodigy for both the Sig 522 and the Sportster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruizer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the single shot rifle make excellent supressor host since you dont have the added length of a bolt action.

IMG00470-1.jpg

this is a 16" barrel308 and aac cyclone </div></div>

I always thought the Contender in 300 Whisper would be the hot setup.

Keith