• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I know this is a rifle forum but....

duffman

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2008
AR
There is a lot of reloading knowledge here and I was wondering if I could get some help. I'm stepping up my pistol shooting alot to compete with my brother and am starting to reload 40 S&W. I was wondering what would be a good powder to use. I'm needing something that gives good performance (velocity wise) but is still real clean burning. I really appreciate any and all replies.

Thanks for your time,

Duffman

Oh yeah, I mostly shoot the 155's because I like the Winchester Ranger ammo in that weight and the main powder in question is Ramshot silhouette. Thanks again for the replies.

Re: I know this is a rifle forum but....

I have used 231,Bullseye,AA#5,and Power Pistol. They all have worked well with 180 jhp's for me.

I used clays and vv340,vv320 for some applacations in IPSC for a long time.

I've grown to like WST in the .40. It burns pretty clean and very little muzzle flash if you shoot near or in the dark.

+1 for Titegroup. Shoot it in 9mm and 40 and it burns very clean. It does smoke with lead.

Love Power Pistol
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used clays and vv340,vv320 for some applications in IPSC for a long time. </div></div>

+1 on all of them...

had best luck with Clays (straight, regular...not universal)... and VV-N320

Titegroup, N320 or WST are all popular.

Titegroup is not as volume sensitive as some other powders so its a bit more consistent if you are using mixed brass. It also tends to burn a bit hotter than other powders and makes the gun very hot if you practice a lot.

40 sw 200gr 15.5 gr 800X [more than a double load] is the most power I can get from a 40sw.
That is also a max load for 44 mag, but the 44 mag has more volume, so the 40sw load is more powerful.

But that load has four major problems:
1) recoil is unmanageable even with triple recoil spring assemblies
2) requires support to the web of the case over the feed ramp.
3) 800X meters poorly
4) Powder will not fit, required multiple double compression steps for a single round to be loaded.

An easier way to get more power than you want from 40sw is Power Pistol.
Work up until the case bulges and back off a safety margin.
13.5 gr Power Pistol 200 gr is the limit of the 40sw case strength around the primer pocket, but recoil or case bulge [depending on your case support] will probably stop your work up long before that.

The only problems with Power Pistol are:
1) Muzzle flash
2) Corrosive to plastic powder hopper on powder measure if left overnight

40sw is allot like 10mm:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...4255#Post106645

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">40 sw 200gr 15.5 gr 800X [more than a double load] is the most power I can get from a 40sw.
That is also a max load for 44 mag, but the 44 mag has more volume, so the 40sw load is more powerful.

But that load has four major problems:
1) recoil is unmanageable even with triple recoil spring assemblies
2) requires support to the web of the case over the feed ramp.
3) 800X meters poorly
4) Powder will not fit, required multiple double compression steps for a single round to be loaded.

An easier way to get more power than you want from 40sw is Power Pistol.
Work up until the case bulges and back off a safety margin.
13.5 gr Power Pistol 200 gr is the limit of the 40sw case strength around the primer pocket, but recoil or case bulge [depending on your case support] will probably stop your work up long before that.

The only problems with Power Pistol are:
1) Muzzle flash
2) Corrosive to plastic powder hopper on powder measure if left overnight

40sw is allot like 10mm:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...4255#Post106645 </div></div>

WTF are you talking about!!?? You can not be serious, right?

Thanks for all the reviews guys. I was talking this over with the owner of my local gun store and he just handed me a pound of VV 3N37 and told me if I like it to come back and buy some. Can't argue with that. Have any of you guys used this, and if you have please tell me your opinions. Thanks

I've shot a few,and I meant a few 200 grainers in the .40 S and W "plastic" pistol. Running about 6-8 grains of powder behind a 200 grain bullet. It is a compressed load. The recoil for the little plastic pistol is tremdous! I didn't like them for this gun. Max powder range is about 7.5 8.5 depending on the powder. Consult your reloading manuel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Like I said,
"No, I am not kidding, but the loads I mentioned were experimental, not practical."

VV 3N37 is used for open guns. It is a slow powder and makes a lot of gas for the comp. For a .40 S&W you want a fast powder which will give less recoil. What power factor are you loading for? Be careful if you try VV310 or clays, both are extremly fast.

Another great resource for compition pistol loads:

http://www.k8nd.com/ipscload.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Like I said,
"No, I am not kidding, but the loads I mentioned were experimental, not practical." </div></div>
You never said that in the post. Go back and read it. You realize, any of the loads you posted will totally mess up a 40 S&W handgun. You are well over 10mm loads, let alone 40. So, why post something like this.
And don't shoot these loads with anyone else around. YOU are the reason shit happens on the range with idiots reloading rediculous ammo.