• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

i made a mistake with my .308 load

wjusticed

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
N.C.
i made a mistake the other night when i was working on some 308 loads. i just got some barns tipped TSX bullets in 168 grns. and 130 grns to try out for some hunting loads. i am going to change my powder charge by .5 grns each group to see what kind of accuracies i can get out of them. i already have about 20 of the 168s loaded. my problem is i used CCI 250 primes instead of CCI 200 or fed 210. i am loading varget powder and rem brass.

what should i do? do you all think its safe to try these magnum primers with max loads? or should i pull the bullets an start over.

if i start over can i reuse these bullets ,there kinda expensive.

thanks for any help

PS great forum and site!!

Re: i made a mistake with my .308 load

Magnum primers, used in non-magnum cartridges should be tried on starting loads to first see how they run in your rifle. I'd pull them, recapture the powder, and reload a few at the minimum load level to see how they go.

Just shooting what you have right now is risky. Barnes TSX is an all copper round yes? You should start out a little lower on any bullet, but solid copper bullets need a little more caution until you know the score.

Pull em carefully and reuse them.

l was once told that in a .308 case it was best to equate a mag primer to 1 full grain of powder.
Queequeg's right, best be on the safe side with this....

I would lean to pulling them also. But, it depends on how hot you loaded the test rounds. If you are loading near max and going over max published data, then I would pull them. But, if you are starting low and working up to published max data, then you will probably be alright. Most published data is conservative (especially Barnes data), and you can load slightly over max. Like stated, rule of thumb is that a mag primer (in most cases) is like adding 1 grain extra of powder.

Thanks for the help!! I pulled them. I have only a few CCI BR primers left so I need to pick up some more. I have never used fed 210 primers before I have always used BR. I am going to pick up some of them also.
Thanks again for the advice!!