• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing i made this stock ! feedback plz

biscuit75camaro

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2011
Texas
i made this stock for my custom mauser! i used plywood lol i think the next one ill use higher grade wood. i got tired of saving my money for an a5 for the mauser so 7 hrs and like 75$ later this is what i came up with. oh and i havent found any buttpad materiel so i used a wal mart limbsaver slipover till i can get something else

2ugki38.jpg

vgpaf.jpg

Re: i made this stock ! feedback plz

Thanks and ive only shot it to 350yds on steel after sighting in but i havent shot it for groups yet. I will this weekend tho

Dude, if that's what you make in 7 hrs with plywood and 75 bucks, I'd love to see what you can do with modern materials and the right equipment! Great job!!

Nice stock! I have bought a limbsaver pad from cabela's before. The kind that is glued on and are available in several sizes.

Ill get some more pics up for yall i was going to fiberglass over it to make it look more like a tactical t4 or a5 but i started liking the long grain on the wood and decided i have enough fiberglass metal and plastic guns im rollin old school. Oh and all i have is a cell phone ill try and get a better camera tomorrow. Im thinking of cnc milling letters about 3/8" deep in another stock im building and filling it with silver soilder does anybody think that would work? Im thinking it would look cool after finishing it similar to the mauser stock

Yeah my dad is a taxidermist i thought they would make a sweet background

+1. gorgeous stock and rifle. well done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stockdoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, if that's what you make in 7 hrs with plywood and 75 bucks, I'd love to see what you can do with modern materials and the right equipment! Great job!!

</div></div>

Biscuit Thats a great looking stock. Did you have a T-4 there with to go off of while building.

Nice piece. Really!

Tell us about thickness and grade of ply, whether you used multiple thicknesses of ply; and if so, what you employed as an adhesive. What finishing materials?

I've been kicking this sort of idea around in the back of my mind for some time, but now I see someone actually doing one for real, it piques my curiosity.

My first attempt would likely be for a very basic Savage MKII-F.

Personally, unless I planned on selling the package, I think the Limbsaver Slip-On is all I'd be needing.

Greg

That is nice. You have obvious talent. I imagine their is not much you cannot make out of wood. Like surf board formers and sculpters....some people can just just "see the shape within."

I used a 4x4 sheet of 3/4 plywood from lowes. idk what grade. I cut 3 pcs 32"x6.5 then c clamped them together using wood glue ill get back to ya what kind of glue when i get home. I traced the t4 onto the plywood and drew in the changes i wanted to make in the initial shape. Out came the skilsaw and sawzall. once i had the squareish stock i busted out the disc sander and dynafile to shape it. I inletted it on a manual machining mill. From then on it was sandpaper which sucked. To finish i used stain and spray on polyurethane idk how its gna hold up yet

Sounds great, still interested in the adhesive. I like Gorilla Glue for the way it expands to fill gaps and its absolute strength, but I'm not sure how it takes to stain and finishing products. I have a stationary belt sander, a handheld electric router. and a drill press. <span style="text-decoration: line-through">and could use more info on that Dynafile Thingie.</span> (Never mind, I looked it up; looks like the Dynafile II does what I want for less.) But I think I could also get by without the whole thing and use some rasps if I had to. What I could really use is a small band saw.

I have some leftover 3/4" ply with Oak Veneer from a DIY cabinet project. Might work nicely for the outboard plies. Might also consider doing some shaping of the center ply to reduce inletting/barrel channel work. That inner ply could even be plain pine shelving, possibly easier to work. I've done some laminated 1x4 pine shelving stock for canoe paddles, etc., using Gorilla Glue; they worked out pretty nicely.

Greg

I like it. I know it is new, but it looks like it has been hunted hard for 30 years, which I think looks cool. Nothing beats a well used looking rifle in my book. Nice job on the finish.

Tag, I'm bookmarking this shit.
Absolutely beautiful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biscuit_75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill get some more pics up for yall i was going to fiberglass over it to make it look more like a tactical t4 or a5 but i started liking the long grain on the wood and decided i have enough fiberglass metal and plastic guns im rollin old school. Oh and all i have is a cell phone ill try and get a better camera tomorrow. Im thinking of cnc milling letters about 3/8" deep in another stock im building and filling it with silver soilder does anybody think that would work? Im thinking it would look cool after finishing it similar to the mauser stock </div></div>
I don't know what anyone else does, but I feel like a lot of tricks from R/C airplanes transfer over well.
I use #9 shot and epoxy to weight 1/3rd scales it's heavy and easy to do, I might suggest that instead of solder.

I have rc helicopters that crash more than fly. But im thinking more like a script inlay than a weighting type of thing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm17</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biscuit_75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ill get some more pics up for yall i was going to fiberglass over it to make it look more like a tactical t4 or a5 but i started liking the long grain on the wood and decided i have enough fiberglass metal and plastic guns im rollin old school. Oh and all i have is a cell phone ill try and get a better camera tomorrow. Im thinking of cnc milling letters about 3/8" deep in another stock im building and filling it with silver soilder does anybody think that would work? Im thinking it would look cool after finishing it similar to the mauser stock </div></div>
I don't know what anyone else does, but I feel like a lot of tricks from R/C airplanes transfer over well.
I use #9 shot and epoxy to weight 1/3rd scales it's heavy and easy to do, I might suggest that instead of solder. </div></div>
The milling and silver solder is for a design, not weight purposes. Or at least that is the way I read it.

Somehow my reading comprehension was off on that one and I missed the "letters" part...oops.
Helis are dangerous BTW. Wings are supposed to remain fixed.

Dude, I definitely do not have the patience or attention span to do that. That looks awesome, I really like the dark stain.

I'm with everyone else, nicely done. I've been thinking of taking on a project like this, good inspiration.

Great job!

I bought a piece of nice hardwood to try my hand at making my own stock awhile back (read: like 2 years ago) and haven't done a thing with it.

I keep telling the wife it has to cure.
smile.gif

Nice work!
Wondering what you did for the inletting?
I may have missed it in the thread.
Thanks
Cape

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cape_hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work!
Wondering what you did for the inletting?
I may have missed it in the thread.
Thanks
Cape </div></div>

+1. Very curious

I like it. I know of a guy who, before he died, would hunt the countryside for Walnut trees for felling. He was after the root ball, from which he made many exquisite rifle and pistol stocks. No synthetic can look as good as selected wood and tung oil.

ok i took a piece of paper and put it on top of the stock that it came out of, rub traced the outline cut it out then traced the inlet shape onto the new stock. then did the same with the bottom metal. after that i clamped it in a vise on a mill not a cnc jst a regular mill and proceeded to cut the wood out with a 6" long 1/2in carbide endmill top then bottom. i know i make it sound easy but i am a machinist i run that machine and many others where i work. thanks for all the compliments guys! heres some more picz!

4pxssl.jpg

359il8m.jpg

jibytx.jpg

That is badass. I wish I had the patience to finish a project like that. Turned out really well.

Very nice work. I as well have thought about a lam stock using tight grained marine or aviation ply.
You have a talent with wood.

The heat required to melt silver solder will burn the wood plus you have to undercut the inlay to give the solder something to key into.
For your lettering cut letters out of German silver and inlay them in. Epoxy and file/sand flush.
Flat wire inlay on edge has a nice effect as well.
I have tried a couple of cast nosecaps on black powder rifles and they just never came out to my liking.

Unbelievable. My humble compliments.

1) What is your background? Are you a gunsmith?

2) How and what did you stain with?

3) How did you pull off the transition from the rounded fore end area to the flat sided receiver area? Was that intensive filing?

4)The grip area seems really difficult, was that by hand or did you use a power tool?

Thanks, and again my compliments.

I used titebond III for the glue. Im a machinist so making and fixing things is something i do everyday but its mosty metal that i usually make stuff out of. The transition is jst kindof rounded and sanded to make it look ok u want a close up pic? Minwax dark walnut is what i stained it with and the grip i used a sawzall to roughly cut it out then a disc sander then a dynafile and still ended up sanding alot. Sadly im not a smith but it wont be long till im building rifles myself

I would love some pictures around the grip area, and the receiver/fore end area.

I have been trying to figure out how to make my own stock for several months and your plywood laminate idea really puts it in the realm of possibility for me. I think I can do it.

I have quite a bit of mongrel woodworking experience but one of the things I have been stuck on is making a really symmetrical product. I have a log cut down from my back 40 I've been working on and another problem has been getting a saw to cut it down to manageable size and be square/true. I can get a local mill to do it, but that defeats the purpose.

Starting off with the plywood solves a lot of that I think, and I would be interested in any comments you may have about that (symmetry).

Absolutely outstanding work there

I wish I could replicate something like that but I'm hopeless when it comes to timber

It has turned out well and looks good. Using ply wood is not as easy to work as a normal piece of timber . For a first attempt I wood use thin planks of a straight grained timber and place them so that the grain is all in the same direction . This would produce a lamination that will plane and cut by hand better than plywood.
To check which way the plank will plane easy , just test plane each edge and assemble accordingly .

Just the fact that you made a stock is pretty cool. From your pictures, I wouldn't have known it wasn't professionally made. Good job!