• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing i may have effed up fluting this barrel.

300sniper

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2005
Greenwood, Ca
i sure hope i didn't induce any stress into it.
grin.gif

barrelwindow001.jpg

barrelwindow003.jpg

barrelwindow005.jpg

barrelwindow006.jpg

Re: i may have effed up fluting this barrel.

it was a .243 but i don't know the round count. i'll ask tomorrow.

Very cool. Excellent tool for explaining things to those who don't understand the anatomy of a chamber/barrel. Is that a ring of carbon just forward of the neck area?

That's wicked! A side port to watch the bullet travel down the barrel,I want one!

A little JB weld and it should be good as new. Just be sure to index the bad side down.

What was the purpose of this or were you just wanting to inspect and make a cool looking window.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should work fine, what's the weight savings?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

it shaved somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of a pound but i did it more for the cooling effect. the barrel never seems to get above ambient temperature now.

Damn. Just hit cycle start and walk away!!!!!
Nothin but gravy.

Could you post a picture with a round in the chamber? I would love to actually see how everything comes together.

I bet you won't run into pressure problems with that barrel...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">minimal difference between 1" & .1" </div></div>

i <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> have made that mistake once or twice
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">minimal difference between 1" & .1" </div></div>
Been there, done that. Made that mistake on the Z once and spent the rest of the night realigning the cross slide and tool post.

Stand behind 3 feet of plexiglass, shoot it and record it for us to watch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trilogymac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn. Just hit cycle start and walk away!!!!!
Nothin but gravy.

</div></div>

LOL
laugh.gif

Just flip the switch and put the mill in reverse. That'll fill right back in. Easy squeezy lemon peazy.

Just index so that flute is on the bottom...no one will notice

Cool concept. Barrel stays cool as well as increases speed and accuracy. Better keep this technology away from the Taliban or we are doomed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kyle88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little duct tape will cover that up. </div></div>

I would just put it on the stock side and bed it good!

Most carbine length handguards or free floats will cover that. Just use a solid one and no ones the wiser.

So thats what they mean but "cut rifled"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzy Bunny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you post a picture with a round in the chamber? I would love to actually see how everything comes together. </div></div>

yeah, this i would like to see

That is a seriously good teaching aid.

For us uneducated shooters, can you gunsmiths out there tell us how much of that barrel ahead of the chamber is considered burned out?

Before being milled, how well did this barrel shoot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a commercial sale to me.
wink.gif

Nice one Bert! </div></div>

yep, that's what all my posts are about. they have nothing to do with sharing information and ideas.
laugh.gif

DISCLAIMER: the above comment was sarcasm. i am not in business and i don't make money doing machine work and/or gunsmithing. i'm just some guy that likes to build stuff for himself in his garage as a hobby.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fuzzy Bunny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could you post a picture with a round in the chamber? I would love to actually see how everything comes together. </div></div>

yeah, this i would like to see </div></div>

i don't shoot a .243 so i don't have a loaded round that will fit this. i do want to do what you are saying though as i think it would be a good demonstration. if i can scrounge up a 6" or so drop from a new barrel blank, i'll chamber it with something i load for and then section it.

You'd better run a PRI handle and a gas vent, or you'll be getting some 'icky blowback' right in the face. LOL

I think you'll be surprised at how little pressure is generated. I've shot 22's in 6MM barrels and the bullet would hit about 50 yds. down range. Powder requires a confined space to build pressure. The carbon ring is pretty ugly.

That is awesome, thank you for posting it! I knew how everything worked inside, but it's great to have a visual aid.

it sounds like this had about 1700 rounds through it. they were 115 dtacs at about 3050 fps.