• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I may have spilled some Hoppe's on the wall.. *facepalm*

whiskeydeltatango

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2014
Madison AL
Cleaning a few guns this evening while the wife is away, I gracefully catapulted an open bottle of Hoppe's 9 against the wall.

Anyone know how the FUUUUUU to get this stuff off a painted wall?

Maybe Sherman-Williams is open late.. Any help, ridicule, or jeering will be appreciated.

• Haha
Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
I learned a long time ago not to use Hoppes 9 in the house lol

I only use that shit outside

You better make sure your room has some fresh air coming in

and yeah, I agree with post 3

To clean a substance properly, you have to use a like base product. #9 is most likely petroleum based. Clean accordingly and repaint as needed. She’ll get over it in time ?

Being as it has Kerosene in it it might come off with a good scrubbing with Dawn and water. I use it and a green scotch brite pad to remove hydraulic oil off me everyday...

Product Name No. 9 Gun Bore Cleaner
SECTION 3 - COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS ID INGREDIENT CAS NUMBER EINECS INDEX NUMBER % WT 1 Ethyl Alcohol 0000064-17-5 200-578-6 603-002-00-5 15 - 40 2 Kerosene 0008008-20-6 232-366-4 649-404-00-4 15 - 40 3 Oleic Acid 0000112-80-1 204-007-1 4 Amyl Acetate 0000628-63-7 211-047-3 607-130-00-2 5 - 10 5 Ammonium Hydroxide 0001336-21-6 215-647-6 007-001-01-2 1 - 5

The Texas girls put a couple of drops behind thier ears to attract men.

Love the smell of Hope's #9.

Mineral spirits may take it down a notch.
Wipe it dry it pain over it.

There is actually a shave soap that is Hoppe's #9 scented. A lady I work with loves it! "You smell so manly!" she says... She's awesome!

I wouldn't worry about it. Wipe it off and move on. If she complains tell her to STFU.

Early on in my marriage I came home and moved the dinning room table and chairs to storage. I then set up an engine stand and proceeded to build an engine and transmission for a hot rod over the next several months.

Some #9?. Pphhhttt. Tell her to jump off a bridge. But make sure you know where the insurance policies are.

Unless you are her bitch boy and she has Oprah type money. Then things are different.

This stuff.
citristrip-paint-thinner-solvents-cleaners-qcsg801-64_1000.jpg

It'll take that Hoppes right off.

• Haha
Reactions: 1J04 and lash
Reminds me of a story.

I was up Maine with my BIL and we went to one of his friends houses - a real down east Mainer.

Guy is sitting at his kitchen table cleaning a blackpowder rifle.

He has the bore loaded up with some liquid solvent. We are talking, drinking some beers.....

Kid gets up, picks up his rifle apparently forgetting about the solvent, a full rifle barrels worth drains out on to the carpet.

BIL and I look at each other while "Dude" was like "My wife is going to be mad"

Cant remember if he even tried to wipe it up.

Carpet had indications this wasnt a first.

Its petroleum/kerosene based. If dawn and water dont get it all, and it stains the paint. Hello Kilz or kilz cousins and repaint. Jmhe

Reactions: TACC and MarinePMI
...Av Gas is hard to beat too ??

I laughed, but no. AvGas (100LL) smells like ass cakes until you burn it. THEN it smells good. The smell of unburned AvGas has many, many good memories associated with it for me, but it smells far sweeter after combustion. It’s rather sulfury before. Your women smell like they have bowel problems if they’re putting on AvGas... :ROFLMAO: Kerosene doesn’t smell as bad before combustion, but it smells even better after. Call me crazy, but I could hang around turbine ships all day long and not tire of how they smell.:giggle:

I once spilled some model diesel engine fuel on the floor of our apartment right after the wife and I got married. She never found out, as she was asleep when it happened. Sure freaked me out, though! This was “old English” mix, meaning it was 1/3 castor oil, 1/3 kerosene, and 1/3 ether. I was worried 1) it would stain, and 2) it would ignite somehow. I spent almost an hour soaking up what I could and then using dish soap and a rag to clean the spot. Then pointed a floor fan at it and went to bed. Never had any problems though, thankfully.

Anywho, good luck, OP!

Put some of the above aftershave on and it will blend right in with the smell, she'll be putty in your hands.

Then put a new picture on the wall

Can’t help you with the wall, but...
If you’re going to clean guns in the house, use Bore Tech. It’s clear and doesn’t smell. I stopped using Hoppe’s when I got my John Hancock. I can clean guns all day long, and no wife-bitching about the smell.

Reactions: abn31c
My wife bitches if I use butches bore shine (I call it bitches bore shine now) in the house; legitimate bitching because it can give her a migraine. Greasing a shotgun the other evening and was going to use white lithium in a spray bottle for the first time. She asked if I was going to spray it in the house. I said sure, it's just grease, not a solvent. Wrong!

• Haha
Reactions: 1J04
That is it but it appears they changed the name and the packaging since I got mine... I'm guessing PAA might have run a foul of Hoppe's legal team?
Here's the old packaging...

That could be, but Doug has been rebranding a lot of his products lately, so the change may have been planned all along.

Either way, I REALLY enjoy his products! Doesn’t hurt that he’s a local as well. Give his stuff a try, you’ll like it!

Reactions: nikonNUT
Tell her that if you had a workshop that this would t have happened. Make it her fault, and then have a shop built.

This is the only correct reply.

I clean in my shop, on the work bench with no issues when I have a drip or spill. Next to my shop computer, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and random projects.

How anyone can live without a nice heated shop is beyond me.

Reactions: abn31c and TACC
i suggest jewelry might cover it

for the future, needle tip bottles are cheap and convenient and less messy...

895165.jpg

I wouldn’t buy her shit. She can get over it, and then I would have my shop built. The only way I would do otherwise is if she was my sugar mamma at the moment and buys me cool shit.

If it penetrated the paint, just cut out the drywall and patch it. Kilz may work, but it will probably come back in a month or so.

Reactions: Alphatreedog
That could be, but Doug has been rebranding a lot of his products lately, so the change may have been planned all along.

Either way, I REALLY enjoy his products! Doesn’t hurt that he’s a local as well. Give his stuff a try, you’ll like it!
I have and I really like the PAA stuff! I think my favorite is DIRT!

Reactions: Basher
Been there, done that, t-shirts stacked high. If the paint was good to begin with it is really no big deal. I use Sprayway glass cleaner even on spots that have been there for weeks.

If the spot is not to big ; get a sheet of plastic , painters tape and some oil dry .
You can substitute kitty litter or possibly saw dust .
1 Hit her with the bag of oil dry/kitty litter til unconcious .
2 layout plastic sheet and ......
Ok seriously . tape a pocket of plastic on the wall over the offending spot . Make sure it's not to baggy . Be sure to use enough tape to hold the weight then cill the plastic poket with oil dry . Leave sit . Lather rinse repeat . Once it's dry , if the paint is in tact try either dawn or murphy's . I'd try the dawn first .
And I apologize for secretly wanting to hear about how you got you ass kicked by the wife . ??????

If the spot is not to big ; get a sheet of plastic , painters tape and some oil dry .
You can substitute kitty litter or possibly saw dust .
1 Hit her with the bag of oil dry/kitty litter til unconcious .
2 layout plastic sheet and ......
Ok seriously . tape a pocket of plastic on the wall over the offending spot . Make sure it's not to baggy . Be sure to use enough tape to hold the weight then cill the plastic poket with oil dry . Leave sit . Lather rinse repeat . Once it's dry , if the paint is in tact try either dawn or murphy's . I'd try the dawn first .
And I apologize for secretly wanting to hear about how you got you ass kicked by the wife . ??????
I gotta say, that's actually good and viable suggestion you've put up there. Until you got to the 'pocket of plastic...' and whatnot. ;)

This is the only correct reply.

I clean in my shop, on the work bench with no issues when I have a drip or spill. Next to my shop computer, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and random projects.

How anyone can live without a nice heated shop is beyond me.

Fuck,
I've got a nice "heated" garage to work in. Air conditioning is what I need.

• Love