• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I miss Brunhilda

sentry1

Crayon Eater
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2012
Madison, Alabama
Another weekend without sweet ole Brunhilda...

I had my Remington 700 rebuilt last summer. Blueprinted, fitted with a Krieger barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor, an AAC 51T brake installed for the wondrous day when I get a suppressor, and a fluted PTG bolt hand polished for a perfect fit in the receiver. I had a two piece bolt, last summer was hectic and PTG was way behind on shipping one piece bolts.

It was all topped off with a Nightforce 20MOA rail and Leupold Mk4 rings holding a Bushnell ERS. Brunhilda was a bit oversized with the Krieger barrel, so I traded out the McMillan A5 for an XLR folding stock. She was a thing of beauty.

I didn't get the time to take Brunhilda to the range until last weekend, work, school, and a new future wife/suspect in my death got in the way. Finally, last weekend was perfect. Great weather, no homework piling up, girlfriend out of town. Then tragedy struck, and as I worked the second round ever, the bolt handle broke off!

The gunsmith, as always, provided excellent service. 24 hours later I was in his shop, being offered a new one piece PTG bolt, or TIG welding of the existing bolt. He promised to work the repair into his schedule ASAP. So, another week goes by without me exploding little blocks of ice at the range.

MBaJM4nl.jpg

Around 28" if I recall correctly. The 200 yd line at the local range isn't going to be enough for this rifle, I'm going to have to start trekking to the 500 and 1000 yard ranges soon.

The bolt has been pulled and the handle welded into place. I can finally get around to breaking Brunhilda in!

0N9Y3Inl.jpg

Another somewhat similar incident anecdote-

Last weekend I finally got my blueprinted rebarrelled action back, worked up a batch of test loads, get out to the range, set up chrony and targets, go to grab box of ammo and......
Spill 60 indistinguishable rounds all over the place.
I coulda cried
Had to wait another week due to family and work obligations. Longest week ever

Took it out for a spin. Shooting off the bench with Atlas bipod and a rear bag. Had to make a few adjustments to LOP and cheek rest height along the way. I'm going to need a lot more practice before I can show up to an F-class match.

Group 1 was holding on the bullseye, then different holds over the target. Ammo was 120gr AMAX factory rounds.

lVuFESRl.jpg