• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need 40X advise before buying...More Pics Added

glocksig40

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2009
Noth Dallas 40 Texas
I have the opportunity to trade for a Remington 40X Rifle. Im interested in trading but want to make sure Im getting what the seller is saying it is. I need some information to ask questions about of specific stuff to look for when I go look at the rifle. How do I know its a true 40X besides the Remington 40X stamp on the reciever? How can I tell the difference between the 40X models when looking at the rifle? How long is the barrel suppose to be? Is there a serial number on the bolt and the action? Any other questions I should ask before making the trade? Any suggestions as to pricing based on condition? Seller is asking for $950 trade value for his rifle. Should it be near mint for this amount?
THanks for any advise...
SP

Re: I need 40X advise before buying...

I'm not the most knowledgable... but since you are local to me I'll get it started.

Get the serial number and check it out.

Is it a heavy barrel? There are 2 different receiver types - the older ones are based on the Rem 722 and the newer on the 700 (40X-B or 40X-HB). All the Heavy barrels are based on the 700 and will drop in any M700 stock. Does the bolt serial number match the receiver (fairly rare and not a must but adds value). Is it US stamped? My barrel is 28" (40X-B). Where did the rifle come from? Is it a CMP gun?

Cash value on a 40XB is $850-950 (add $50-100 if the serial #s match) depending on condition so $950 trade is pretty good.

I need to get up and meet you guys. I'm in Grapevine and Sgt. Ross says all you guys are class.

~ Rico

Thanks Rico. I planned to get the SN and try to find a contact to verify the date and the original configuration. Id like to make sure if its the 700 or 722 action before buying. I would consider the trade if its in fact the heavy barrel with 700 type action. Im hoping someone will chyme in here that can give me more info. THanks for your help.

Contact Don in SC.
He is very knowledgable on the 40X, he would be able to give you a better idea of what your looking at.
When I got my 40X it was in great shape, 28" heavy barrel with iron sight mounting blocks. The heavy barrel on mine is about .9" at the muzzle. The bolt matched the receiver, the number should be etched on the bottom side of the bolt, should have been done with an electric scribe pen. I am out of town right now and can't remember what the marking of the receiver looks like, but I do remember that it was a us marked 40X. I paid around that for mine.
Good luck with your search.

Eric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stacyp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the opportunity to trade for a Remington 40X Rifle. Im interested in trading but want to make sure Im getting what the seller is saying it is. I need some information to ask questions about of specific stuff to look for when I go look at the rifle. How do I know its a true 40X besides the Remington 40X stamp on the reciever? How can I tell the difference between the 40X models when looking at the rifle? How long is the barrel suppose to be? Is there a serial number on the bolt and the action? Any other questions I should ask before making the trade? Any suggestions as to pricing based on condition? Seller is asking for $950 trade value for his rifle. Should it be near mint for this amount?
THanks for any advise...
SP </div></div>

Pretty much what Rico said. The 722(most serial numbers on these will be below roughly 21,XXX based rifles will have the safety lever to the right and a bit below the rear tang. Would will be inletted lower behind the bolt than ahead. 700 based recievers will have a B following the serial numbers.(serial numbers will be above 21,XXX..can't remember exact numbers) 700 rear tang should have a shallow notch machined on right side that safety lever rides along. Knob on safety lever will be flat front and rear and grooves on top, roughly 3/16" thick. Standard barrels measure .750ish @ 28". Heavy barrels roughly .9 @ 28". There is as mentioned by Rico a premium on matching bolt/reciever serial numbers. There were some heavy barreled guns made based on the 722 reciever so don't let that be a clear identifier. Just don't know how many/if the gov actually owned any. Most 722/40-X based guns are standard barrel and 'most' 700/40-XB based guns are the heavy barrel.

722 stocks have a short 4-5" metal insert in forend for hand stop whereas the 700 based guns have a near full length aluminum C channel rail starting just ahead of the trigger guard.

For the most part the trigger on the 722 based guns has an adjustment screw ahead of bolt release in trigger guard. The 700 based guns have the adjustment screw in the trigger shoe. However, I owned a 1977 standard barrel that had the older style trigger on it, as I was second owner I cannot verify though if it came that way or was switched at some point. Sold the gun because the Gunbroker seller switched guns on me and this one was rusted below the wood. Dickwad was going to refund me $100 but never did, just excuses. (just had to vent lol)

Anyhoo, this and Reco's info should give you some insight.

Value.....Depends on how bad you want one. In descent shape $800+, in really good shape and matching numbers is kind of a sellers market. Have seen them bring $1200+

Edit to add. Most 722 guns are marked US Property, most generally on left side above serial number but have seen a couple marked on right side of front reciever. 700 based guns sometimes just US. Also could still be a Gov rifle but not marked as some were purchased through Civy channels when needed. These normally have shiney/gloss varnish finish vs. dull oil finish.

HTH

Respectfully,
Dennis

Thanks for the help guys. Ive sent PM to Don in SC.
I got info and some nice pics from the seller. He has 2 rifles.
1 is a 40XB with heavy barrel, it has the long channel on the bottom of the stock from trigger guard almost full length, it has original iron sight bases and he has the iron sights,it does not have the "US" marking on it, it was a CMP rifle, it has an original wood stock with an adjustable buttstock, (seller claims its original too). Pics look like a nice rifle. Im waiting on the serial number. Should have it later this afternoon.
Second rifle is standard barrel 40X in like condition. I will post the pics I have shortly to see if that helps.
Thanks guys for the info. Ill get back on this shortly.
FYI, this sale/trade is not from SH, its a local sale here in DFW.

SP

Here are a few pics of the 40XB. Any suggestions?
40xb7.jpg
40xb6.jpg
40xb5.jpg
40xb4.jpg
40xb2.jpg
40xb1.jpg

They look good to me. The stocks look to be in good shape too. Just so you know I picked up a deluxe bipod adapter from Sinclair intl, for the freeland rail on my 40X stock. It's not pretty but after a little filing on the mount blocks its pretty solid and allows me to use a Harris bipod.

Stacy,

$950 is fair to a little high for the rifles if both are in that shape and they come complete with sights and rail sling block.

Bluing on the heavy barrel looks good on the handle, crown, muzzle, and trigger guard. It looks like a JROTC rifle that had the original stock shortened for a Freeland adjustable butt. Length-of-pull may be a shade short for an adult, which could possibly drop trading value a little.

Lack of the "US" engraving and non-matching bolt/receiver serials do not detract from its value as a shooter, and in fact from the lack of wear I'd say it's probably not been fired much.

I prefer the standard weight barrel, but the heavy barrel rifles are also known,consistent straight shooters.

I'd say $900, but that's just me.

Im only considering this because I have a RR LAR-8 Im trying to sell. This is listed locally and this guy came at me with a trade offer. Being that its a trade and Im doing ok on my trade value, Id say Id have $750 in this 40X at the trade price. I just got email from him and he is getting the SN this evening after work. I asked him what deal we can make for both 40X rifles and asked him to send pics of the second rifle. If I can sweeten the deal a little I will get them both. Anyone need a 40X? Thanks for the help fellas.

Just a FYI, CMP will be releasing some more 40x's soon, so the inflated prices we see now can go die.

Wait a couple months, and spend about 600, or buy it right now for almost a grand.

I'd rather save the 400, and buy a SS scope for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a FYI, CMP will be releasing some more 40x's soon, so the inflated prices we see now can go die.

Wait a couple months, and spend about 600, or buy it right now for almost a grand.

I'd rather save the 400, and buy a SS scope for it. </div></div>

You'll never buy a 40-X rimfire in any descent shape unless private sale and seller doesn't know current value, or from the CMP for $600 or less anymore! There is even talk that the next batch from CMP being as limited as it is going to be(roughly 300) prices may be as high as $700 but that is speculative currently. With so few hitting the market in the next and last batch it will have little to NO affect on current market IMO. In fact I see them increasing several hundred with those wanting them and sellers knowing there will be NO MORE coming from CMP. With potentially thousands aware and wanting in on the next batch the odds of getting one will be about like a winning Powerball ticket.

My opinion is if you can buy it now for anything under $800 and you want one fairly bad you better do it. Only other good deal out there currently for a target type 22 is the Kimbers CMP has. If you don't want to deal with or don't qualify to purchase from the CMP then your options are current market supply and value. I wouldn't even sell my parts built 40-X's for anywhere close to $600.

I bought one of the 'short stock' rifles last go around figuring it would be mismatched bolt/reciever with plans of turning barrel to sporter and hoping it would still shoot, if not rebarreling it. I gave $400+ shipping. It had matching numbers but a redone crown and a cheapy extendable butt plate. Cleaned it all up but it being matching I couldn't bring myself to tear it apart. Put it on GB with a starting price of $575 and a Buy Now of $875 for giggles. It sold with Buy Now and owner was tickled silly with his purchase and price.

So unless you feel lucky don't depend on many $600 40-X's floating around unless the economy completely tanks and then your priorities will change also.

Just my worthless .02 cents worth though.

Your mileage may vary however.

Respectfully,
Dennis

This trade is not me chasing a rifle for sure. The owner approached me for the trade. He wants my rifle. Ive seen these 40x rifles here on the hide and they seem to be coveted to most people. He is basically trying to use it in trade towards my rifle and I want to know more about the rifle before I make the deal. I can take it or leave it. I've had several PM's since starting this thread asking me if it's going to be for sale when I buy it so I know there us a market for it. I just want to see if the rifle is worth me trading for. If I can get both for a good trade price, I would sell one and possibly both. If I trade for one, I might try and sell it if I can at least get the price I traded for.

Have a few of each. HB are very heavy!!! I've wanted to cut one of mine down, but I can't bear to have the accuracy go south and don't want to slug it, so it stays as is and I shoot it. The standard barrels are without stocks at the moment and not sure when I will get to them, but they are clean. One is going to a build for my daughter to shoot. Should be a great trainer as she needs to put one in at a time. Will teach patients.
All my bolts match. Might have to cut a heavy down to about 20 and set in a nice stock, just waiting.

Chad,
If I keep it, it will get some duracoat,threaded barrel for my can and new stock. It just has to be a good deal for me to keep. I have a few buyers biting at me already.

Looking at the pics. My 2cents, the blue looks good, leave it, just refinish the stock and add a adjustable butt plate to add length. I've had the Hvy barrel and the standard. The hvy is HEAVY, I like the standard better. Gentlemen, for your info, I found on the CMP website that the vast majority of the coming 40Xs will not be complete rifles but barreled receivers. So if you didnt put in the time and effort to qualify for a rifle in the past you will have to buy one from somebody that either/or served their country or actually shot in shooting matches to earn the privilage to buy the rifle from the CMP. If you are now qualified to buy, the "rusty" Kimber 82Gs are a good deal

Rich,
I appreciate everyones 2 cents. I appreciate all the info you guys have given. Thanks to Don in SC as well. Everyone has been great. Im waiting on the seller to pass me more info and meet for a look.

From the seller:
1st rifle is 40XB in the above pics.Rifle SN 31XXXB. SN's dont match but everything else is as Ive said. The 2nd rifle is a 722 standard barrel, SN 83XX matching SN on bolt and reciever, "US PROPERTY" stamped on rifle with original stock and it is in the same condition as the one pictured above. Iron sights come with both. How much of a hit does the 722 take in value?

That stock is original but the buttplate is not. Just an FYI because you stated that the owner told you it was original.

As a shooter the 722 is just as good as the 700.

Collector-wise the 722 has the advantage as it was not shortened, plus the numbers match and (at least to me) it's US-engraved. Again $900 would be more than fair.

i have a stevens 416 us property and it shoots amzing i am currently looking for a kimber 84 or 97 i think it is.

Stacy, did you pick them up? If you plan on trading/selling them... don't shoot them! You won't let go! I have more fun with mine than with the .308.

2723164009_large.jpg