• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing i need a 1911 smith.

Mr_Brass

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2010
45x90 WI.
I had an issue with my remington R1 a few weeks back and I need a good 1911 smith to evaluate my pistol and tell me if its still safe to shoot and fix whatever might be broken. anny out there you guys use?

Re: i need a 1911 smith.

www.marsguns.com
www.combatprecision.com
www.rogersprecision.com
www.heirloomprecision.com
http://www.warnerpistols.com/
http://www.berryhillguns.com/
http://www.theactionworks.com
www.HarrisonCustom.com
www.kandroscustoms.com
http://www.cylinder-slide.com/
http://www.rodgerspistolsmithing.com/

on top of them wilson still does customer supplied work, as does the springfield custom shop on guns other then springfields and their main gunsmith is really really good.

if they can't help you nobody can

i wont be having wilson do anything to my guns. but im going to send some of them boys an email and see what they'll charge me to take a look.

for some reason i have a bad rattle in it and its freaking me out EEEEEEK

A LOT of 1911 "smiths" now are really just builders and a LOT MORE of them quit doing repairs and – in fact - no longer do anything custom… they just take a frame/slide off a CNC machine, etc.. fit some parts on it, and ship them out after they make sure they are pretty.

That’s what really always made Clark Custom Guns stand out.. they would work on practically anything, in fact the nicest 1911 I’ve ever seen/shot/owned is a hard-chrome Norinco they made for me.

That being said Jim Clark's two grandsons now have a shop in Austin, Hayes Custom Guns.. I'd definitely check them out as they have been employees or Clarks for a long, long time.
https://www.facebook.com/HayesCustomGuns

I wouldn't waste my time putting money into that thing. Send it to Remington to get it running and sell it. IMO,if you want a reliable 1911, spend the money and get at minimal a Kimber. Wilson or NightHawk if you got money. I only trust my life to Glocks anymore and have no use for a $3500 pistol. If your shooting IPSC or IDPA that's different. Just sayin'. Good luck.

The pistol have been nothing but perfect to me. I'm not going to pay for a kimber which has failed me and I'm sure as shit not going to Wilson and paying them nearly 2 grand just to put together what is pretty much a kimber.

Newer kimbers are not good guns, and there isn't a single smith on the list I have on there that is a "assembler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Newer kimbers are not good guns, and there isn't a single smith on the list I have on there that is a "assembler. </div></div>

BigJoe is correct. All the shops he listed are top custom 1911 builders. And, the newer Kimbers never cease to amaze me with the poor quality control and cheap parts. They are not even in the same category as Wilson or other top custom/semi-custom brands.

But for a simple diagnostic on a Remingtoon R1, these shops are all overkill. If it works then leave it alone and live with the rattle. If not send it back to Remington. If you cant live with the rattle buy a 1911 with tighter fit/tollerances.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Newer kimbers are not good guns, and there isn't a single smith on the list I have on there that is a "assembler. </div></div>

BigJoe is correct. All the shops he listed are top custom 1911 builders. And, the newer Kimbers never cease to amaze me with the poor quality control and cheap parts. They are not even in the same category as Wilson or other top custom/semi-custom brands.

But for a simple diagnostic on a Remingtoon R1, these shops are all overkill. If it works then leave it alone and live with the rattle. If not send it back to Remington. If you cant live with the rattle buy a 1911 with tighter fit/tollerances.

</div></div>

I didn't say anything about his list, what I actually wrote was:
<span style="font-style: italic">"A LOT of 1911 "smiths" now are really just builders and a LOT MORE of them quit doing repairs and – in fact - no longer do anything custom… they just take a frame/slide off a CNC machine, etc.. fit some parts on it, and ship them out after they make sure they are pretty."</span>

Clarks is a year back-ordered now, and one of them in your list is local too me and as I understand it, no longer taking custom work.. so that's where Hayes Custom Guns may be able to help you out. It's ran by two of Jim Clark Sr's grandsons both of whom are not only raised with Jim Jr. Jerry Miculek, and Kay, working in the shop, but they themselves are VERY active competitive shooters.
They are currently the only people I send my 1911's to when I cant do it myself with my own hand tools and sweat equity.

As a graduate of the Brownells 1911 class taught by a member of the APG and another guy that worked for cylinder and slide, I feel a bit more enlightened as to what it takes to make a 1911 run accurately and reliably. And there are countless dozens of 1911 guildsmen out there - the question is three fold:
1. How long will it take them to do it right?
2. How much will it cost?
3. Do they have experience making them function for decades, retaining stellar accuracy, or just making them pretty?
4. How is their customer service?

I also agree completely with what you guys are saying about Kimbers. They have fallen far, far from grace compared to what the original custom II was 15 years ago for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what kind of issue did you have with it? </div></div>

case head separation. bad piece of brass from kfa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does Kimber make any 70 series at the present time or are they all 80's? </div></div>

Kimber doesn't make a series 80. They have a different system, called the Swartz safety. Series 70 parts will work on all Kimbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what kind of issue did you have with it? </div></div>

case head separation. bad piece of brass from kfa </div></div>

Take your slide off, remove barrel. Slide loaded round under extractor into place and see how tight the fit is. Your extractor may be extremely tight. There should be some wiggle, but the round should stay in place. If there is no play, your extractor needs to be loosened.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what kind of issue did you have with it? </div></div>

case head separation. bad piece of brass from kfa </div></div>

Take your slide off, remove barrel. Slide loaded round under extractor into place and see how tight the fit is. Your extractor may be extremely tight. There should be some wiggle, but the round should stay in place. If there is no play, your extractor needs to be loosened.</div></div>

so the only thing to be worried about with a case head separation is the extractor? I don't follow. wouldn't the part of the frame on the left hand side being loose be more of a concern?

I am with GlockandRoll in recommending Clark's. I've had a lot of work done by them, and I have been pleased. Jim Clark is a good guy. It is up to you whether you need them or not. Whether your issue merits Clark's or not, I thought you might like a link:

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/

Today I shot my two Clark accurized 1911's; a Taurus PT1911 .38 Super, and a .45 Custom Combat. What a joy.

They did the Super for me recently for $500 and a four month wait. Now, it wads 'em up.
a57vo.jpg

e33ab.jpg

The shop I used was the original shop at Princeton, LA.

June 1st 2012, they stopped offering custom work on customer supplied 1911's.

I just want someone to take a peek at it and fix the rail in the frame. and i don't want to pay what i can buy a new RIA for this lol. maybe i should just sell it as is. jeesh

Karl sokol in vest rutland Vermont you won't regret it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had an issue with my remington R1 a few weeks back and I need a good 1911 smith to evaluate my pistol and tell me if its still safe to shoot and fix whatever might be broken. anny out there you guys use? </div></div>

Have you thought of sending it to Remington?

I have but im not sure i want to deal with them and all and i have been told that since wilson combat worked on it Remington probably won't mess with it. I'll try and get a hold of them though if i don't find someone to work on it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
RADcustom is a 1911 mechanic. Get him to do it.</div></div>

RAD is a good friend of mine for 20 years,he'd probably tell you to send it to Hayes Custom Guns.

Purple Horse feathers! RAD will do anything for money. Have you not read his moniker?

Raggn' on ya', RAD.
grin.gif

I hear ya.
laugh.gif

If he were local, I would be more than happy to look it over for him, gratis. Since it would need to be shipped, give the Hayes brothers a call. They will take care of you.

Good seeing you on here RADcustom, we need to plan to go shooting smome time in the next few months when I come up.

BTW, this was the Norinco RADcustom made for me as then Clark's 1911 pistol smith. To date it's the nicest single stack I've ever seen/shot/owned/known of, etc.
smile.gif

Clark2.jpg

Clark1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The pistol have been nothing but perfect to me. I'm not going to pay for a kimber which has failed me and I'm sure as shit not going to Wilson and paying them nearly 2 grand just to put together what is pretty much a kimber. </div></div>

Must second you on that one. We have repaired more Kimbers than any other brand of 1911 in my shop.