• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a bolt gun

jwb47

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 30, 2010
semo
here is my delima guys. I have a very nice little collection of ar type rifles , infact the onlt bolt gun I own is a savage 22lr . I had a savage heavy barrel tactical rifle but it would never shoot as good as my rock river arms 20 inch 308 so I sold it .I need to broaden my horizon a bit and would like to get a 223 and a 308 bolt gun since I already reload those calibers it just kind of makes sense . I like the remington vtr and the savage precision carbine . any thoughts on these two rifles as a walk around gun for under 500 yd shooting at predators and 300 yd on in for deer?

Re: I need a bolt gun

I have a 20" barrel on my Savage and it is great for quietly working my way thru the brush to the treestand, when slung on my back it does not hang down at all. No snagged limbs or unneccessary noise and handles easily in the treestand. I can hold it balanced with one hand under the magwell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwb47</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> would like to get a 223 and a 308 bolt gun </div></div>

wrong. Buy one better bolt rifle instead of two lesser rifles. Combine the fund and buy the best rifle that you can afford.

jwb47, I have a VTR. It shoots lights out and is very easy to carry. This is one the weapons I hunt with now. I took it out of the pos stock and put it in an LTR Stock. It carries and shoots real good. I do not like the stocks(tupperware to me) that Remington puts them in. Don't know how the Savage shoots but I have not heard many complaints about them either. Don't think you could go wrong with either weapon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jwb47, I have a VTR. It shoots lights out and is very easy to carry. This is one the weapons I hunt with now. I took it out of the pos stock and put it in an LTR Stock. It carries and shoots real good. I do not like the stocks(tupperware to me) that Remington puts them in. Don't know how the Savage shoots but I have not heard many complaints about them either. Don't think you could go wrong with either weapon. </div></div>

thanks vtr Im looking pretty hard at a desert recon right now if that is the way I go then more than likely I will top it off with a weaver 3x10 tactical I already have one on my bushmaster v-match and love it.

what mumford said, buy 1 in one of those calibers and get a better rifle instead of 2 entry rifles, or lesser quality.

what price range are you lokking at?

If you want to shoot deer an varmints why not a decent 243? It is a good all around piece and works fine for what you want.

thanks everybody for your suggestions I appreciate your thoughts . I suppose I wasnt clear in my original post and for that I apologise . I want a 223/5.56 and a 308 winchester bolt action rifle . maybe I was being a bit over extending with the 500 yd and in varmint shooting since more than likely 300 would be max . I have plenty of accurate rifles that will cover that but I just want a couple of bolt guns to give me options . I am not interested in having to buy different reloading dies and yet more different caliber bullets i have enough diversity on my bench the way it is . once again I deeply appreciate everybodys comments and thanks for taking the time to respond.

If you already have a bunch of AR type guns (I assume several in .223), I'd recommend getting a good .308 bolt gun first and then later worry about a .223 bolt gun (if you decide you need one). Since you are already setup for reloading, you would have a very wide range of bullets to pick from in .308 & you may find you don't need a .223 bolt gun.

A lot depends on your budget and how much you want to customize it.

Savage has some very good accurate out of the box rifles at a great price

A Remmington 700 series would cost a bit more but you can do endless customizations to it.

If you have a pretty big budget, and can afford something in the mid 3k range, an Accuracy International AE Mark II in .308 would out of the box give you top level accuracy in a very rugged rifle.

Another good option if you have a budget in the 2k+ range is to check the for sale section for some of the used GAP rifles.

Since you did not mention a price range, I suggest the AI AE MkII for your .308 bolt gun.

If you have a stable of .223 AR15's I would suggest going big on the .308 bolt gun and topping it with the best glass you can afford. You will quickly notice that anything you can do with a .223 bolt gun you can do with a .308. 110gr A-Max rounds will flat tear up lightweight targets.

A AE MkII with top end glass is going to put you in the $6K price range, but it's unlikely that you will ever "need" another .308.

I don't know if it would work or not, but I just picked up a Rem 5R for a .308 bolt gun. It works for me. Plenty accurate and since it was a used but unfired it even came with glass. I bought it for about MSRP including a VX3 8.5-25LR scope. Look on the used shelves, there are deals to be had.