• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a good radio

Near miss

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    Hello,

I would like to get a radio that uses at least VHF but would be very capable to do different ...radio stuff.. too. I have tried to educate myself about radio phones, I guess having one would maybe solidify some things for me. I have free radio amateur classes available to me.

I would be using it for:
    -Our 700m range where connections are needed as the group downrange is checking everything is ok safety wise and also helping with spotting. Here people use their hunting radios.

-Shooting courses I do range watching on. I have actually no clue what signal they use, I guess I will check that this weekend. I have been given a radio but last time the antenna freaking poked inside my eyeball socket and they are not especially nice either.

-Hunting

And I would prefer it to be well made and have easily switchable battery and some USB style charging port.

Is this realistic / available?

if you are just looking for something to use with minimal setup.....i would look into FRS/GMRS radios (blister pack radios like you can get at walmart).....they work fine for 99% of users if were all honest with ourselves.

these will talk to all FRS/ GMRS radios

if you need a little more performance, i would look into Business radios

these will only talk to other business radios

if you still need more flexibility, i would look into a full HAM radio.

these will talk to all handheld comsmer radios (frs/gmrs, business, ham)

for a full HAM radio i recommend the Yeasu FT60.....but anything from Kenwood, Midland, Motorola, Yeasu should serve you just fine.

and for the love of god stay away from that cheap ass Boafeng shit.

Be aware that the business and ham (aka amateur) radios require individual licenses from the FCC. ;)

The amateur / ham licenses aren't hard to get but you do have to study for them and take the exams when offered.

Should be clarified that I am in Finland but I figure all of the ham stuff is pretty much just the same over here.

The manufacturer list was useful, I see motorolas sometimes being offered as used but I have hard to deciding if I should buy it since I don't know if it has all the features I need.

I would like a radio that could be easily be ingtegrated to my present set of electronics.. To keep me from carrying extra set of chargers, wires, all the crap when I go.

I guess I could buy one to get me initiated into this mess and keep it as backup / loan device when I have decided what I really need.

These are (to me) surprisingly complicated devices with all the different frequencies and use cases available. I will attempt to seek local help.

I guess I could buy one to get me initiated into this mess and keep it as backup / loan device when I have decided what I really need.

These are (to me) surprisingly complicated devices with all the different frequencies and use cases available. I will attempt to seek local help.
    Getting local help would be best as each country can have their own frequencies within the different bands allocated for different uses. Some radios sold in the USA may be illegal in Finland. Also, some amateur radios that are capable of transmitting and receiving on both amateur bands and business bands (speaking for USA) might need to be either software or hardware unlocked to actually operate across all frequencies. Good luck.

Reactions: Makinchips208
    Business style radios are generally set to one frequency which can be very limiting. They are usually bulky but built like tanks to withstand hard use. The blister pack FRS style radios are amazing values but are limited in frequencies, power, antennas and aren't very durable. Ham style handitalkies offer expanded power, multiple bands, and antenna possibilities but cost a lot more. I suggest you find your local ham radio club and attend their next meeting and discuss your needs. Ham radio operators on average love, love, love to talk.

Depending on what Freq you want to use there are a lot available..... I've used the iCom brand in the wilderness for SAR and then switched to Baofeng units that we purchased on amazon at about 1/20th of the price. I've never had a Baofeng die in use... they other brand that is highly recommended is Yaesu.

Thanks for the help. I was kinda hoping I would not have to jump down the rabbit hole but there is very limited information about radios, probably because the frequencies vary so much. I read that 68MHz is free for all over here with certain specs and I guess I go with one that supports that.

Maybe I do not need to get a HAM license yet but I guess I will attend the next free course/test.

Nevertheless, Lafayette micro 5 looks good so might pick it up.

If you're considering FRS, take a look at Back Country Access Link units (reviewed here: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revi...walkie-talkies/backcountry-access-bc-link-2-0). I use them primarily for back country skiing in the mountains (industry standard for that use case) but would not hesitate to take them hunting. Weather-proof, good range, USB charging and a handset you can clip to a pack strap whilst keeping the main unit in a lid pocket.