• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns i need a holster for a 1911

fastford

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 10, 2008
    Central, Texas
    what holster do you guys suggest for a nighthawk 1911? Its got the light rail so if i can get one that will fit with a SF pistol light on it, that would be best!

Re: i need a holster for a 1911

raven concealment will make one for a gun with surefire light. and they make nice stuff.

It all depends on what you want to use the holster for. I use a Raven Concealment for work carrying a Glock 19 and it is great. It is very universal for other accesorries I can attach, rides very close to my body for concealment, yet gives a very secure fit for movement with work.

I'd be very careful using a Kydex type holster with a 1911 though. The finnish has worn greatly on my Glock 19 on the 1/2" of the front of the slide from holstering/drawing. Glocks are known for having a very strong finnish on their pistols and it's worn extremely from using Kydex.

When I'm home and off duty I use Milt Sparks holsters for my Les Baers that I carry. It is by far the most comfortable leather holster I've used. They will make the holster specifically for your model with whatever features you want (as do Raven and Kramer). There's a wait time for Raven and Milt Sparks, but it's worth it for the quality of holster you get.

Kramer also makes good holsters for leather and their wait time is not as long as Milt Sparks. The Milt Sparks holsters I've used have been much more comfortable and had tighter fits than the Kramers. I've used OWB and IWB from both.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd be very careful using a Kydex type holster with a 1911 though. The finnish has worn greatly on my Glock 19 on the 1/2" of the front of the slide from holstering/drawing. Glocks are known for having a very strong finnish on their pistols and it's worn extremely from using Kydex.
    </div></div>

Are you seriously saying that someone shouldn't use a holster because it might wear the gun?

Get your gun chromed if you don't want it to wear, sheesh.

No I am not saying don't use a specific holster. I was warning him of the wear a Kydex holster can and will cause vs. a leather holster. All guns are going to wear from holsters, Kydex has just worn them more in my experience.
    And I agree to get a nickle/chrome finnish if that the holster wear would bother you.

+1 for raven concealment, if it is to be concealed? it does fit very close and can be uncomfortable for sitting (ie. driving) be prepared to wait for several weeks for delivery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    And I agree to get a nickle/chrome finnish if that the holster wear would bother you. </div></div>

That's NOT what I said. Nickel is weak and will wear off. Chrome is not and should last nearly forever.

i didnt spend 3K on a pistol for the holster to tear it up, do the Raven's really strip the finish that bad?

I really like the highspeedgear airborne series. I just got one for my 1911 and it blew my blackhawk ones outta the water!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i didnt spend 3K on a pistol for the holster to tear it </div></div>

Might as well sell it then. If you're worried that the finish will wear off, don't ever put your gun in a holster.

This thread really needs some common sense, guys. Saying you won't wear the finish of your gun is like saying you won't drive your truck because it'd put miles on it.

The finish is a wearable and replaceable part of your firearm. That's why high-end guns that are expected to have high round counts are hard chromed once the users are done modifying them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i didnt spend 3K on a pistol for the holster to tear it </div></div>

Might as well sell it then. If you're worried that the finish will wear off, don't ever put your gun in a holster.

This thread really needs some common sense, guys. Saying you won't wear the finish of your gun is like saying you won't drive your truck because it'd put miles on it.

The finish is a wearable and replaceable part of your firearm. That's why high-end guns that are expected to have high round counts are hard chromed once the users are done modifying them. </div></div>

+1 to this. If you don't want any wear on it put it in the safe. If you are going to holster it, there will be wear. I second the recommendation for Raven or the many other quality kydex makers.

Range or hunting use?

Why in the sam hill would you need a 1911 with a light for range or hunting use?

I have a drawer full of 1911 holsters, by far my favorite is a Milt Sparks versamax II. Its a wide low profile IWB with the belt loops to the side of the pistol. It sits secure and hides very well. the reinforced top really helps with speed and single hand reholstering, but holds firmly.

VM-2_large.jpg

If you keep an eye on Ebay you can sometimes snap one up and avoid the wait time.

Although I wholeheartedly agree that Milt Sparks are fantastic holster (I have a few myself), he needs one for a light rail gun.

I prefer leather for 1911's, but your choices get really narrow for leather when it comes to rails. Kydex choices are wide open. A railed gun is a tactical gun...carry and shoot it accordingly. I have a Yost-Bonitz 1* built on a Colt with a Dawson rail. I carry it in a Serpa. You only live once.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i didnt spend 3K on a pistol for the holster to tear it up, do the Raven's really strip the finish that bad? </div></div>

Fast - I assume your blaster is painted right? Regardless of holster type paint wears to bare metal so you get shiny spots. The issue with bad paint jobs is that it flakes and big shiny spots appear even where there is no contact. Regardless - it is paint. When it begins to look ugly send to DVC Guns and have Jim reshoot it in the color and tone of your choice.

That said, as one that has carried a full sized 1911 almost every day for the past 12 years, kydex is not formed around the gun as well as a highest quality leather rig, and it is less able to yield. As such, wear patterns are servere (bare metal) but in limited areas. Conversely, since the highest quality leather rigs use the fit for retention (example: Sparks VM2), and since the leather has a limited ability to yield, wear is severe in isolated areas (but takes longer to fully develop) and global wear develops over time due to fit.

It is a tool, select the best accessory tool for it, use the shit out of it, when it breaks, repair it, when you can not - throw it away.

FYI - I have broken several kydex IWB holsters over the years (they really don't like you to be on the ground), and have settled on Sparks VM2 and SL 6004 depending upon application.

Good luck

Nighthawk Cerakote's many of thier pistols. If yours is Cerakoted then it will hold up well to Kydex holsters.

I have coated many pistols for LE and other firearms instructors whose pistols see a lot of range work and they report very good results running the guns in Kydex.

For Kydex holsters try JM Custom Kydex. Tony does great work and can make a holster for your specific pistol and application.

Milt sparks VM2 is the finest holster I own. It leaves nothing to be desired for me.

Comfortable. Functional. Well made. Reasonably priced.