• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The4GunGuy

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2018

Ok guys, I'm looking for a new rangefinder to range out to 1,200 yards, and considering these in no particular order:

Leica Rangemaster CRF 2400-R
Vortex Razor HD 4000
Athlon Midas 1 Mile Laser Rangefinder
Leupold RX-2800 TBR/W
SIG Sauer Kilo2200BDX

I'd like to know if YOU'RE using any of the above or whatever you're using and your feedback. Trying to keep the budget under $700.00. Thanks!

I own both the Leupold RX 2800 and now the Leica CRF 2400-R. Get the Leica, you will not be disappointed!!
Thanks Hudsflywater. I'm looking at the Leica CRF 2800.com which sync up with my Kestrel...Just found them and they look promising.

Reactions: xandacolt
Look at the Maven rangefinder. I used it at a match yesterday and it's extremely fast, the reticle brightness is adjustable and the style of reticle can be changed, it had no issues ranging beyond 1200 yards, the button is easy to push so you don't move as off target as much, and after you range the distance is displayed for several seconds.

I've used and looked through several rangefinders and this one is a winner. It's also only $400. I just looked and they are sold out. Hopefully not for long.

Look at the Maven rangefinder. I used it at a match yesterday and it's extremely fast, the reticle brightness is adjustable and the style of reticle can be changed, it had no issues ranging beyond 1200 yards, the button is easy to push so you don't move as off target as much, and after you range the distance is displayed for several seconds.

I've used and looked through several rangefinders and this one is a winner. It's also only $400. I just looked and they are sold out. Hopefully not for long.

Totally forgot about Maven...Thanks JM!

Bump up your budget $200 if you can I understand if you can’t. Sig kilo 3,000 binoculars. So handy to have both in one. You’ll never look back.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
Bump up your budget $200 if you can I understand if you can’t. Sig kilo 3,000 binoculars. So handy to have both in one. You’ll never look back.
Hi Simon, yeah was considering a binocular/rangefinder combo, but they are only 10x42 and for PRS I'm using Bushnell Forge 15x65's that I just bought and LOVE. The glass on those things is so clear, it's even better than the Meopta MeoStars I had at 3x the price. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. Think I'm going with the Sig Kilo5 if anyone gets it in stock. The Leica's are great, but I'm pretty pi55ed that they don't include a 1/4" mounting hole and I have to buy one for $100...Gonna start boycotting these companies who don't really keep up with what people want/need, even if it's as simple as a mounting hole.

I’d choose the Leica, I’ve had nothing but positive experiences with their LRF.
The Leica's are great, but I'm pretty pi55ed that they don't include a 1/4" mounting hole and I have to buy one for $100...Gonna start boycotting these companies who don't really keep up with what people want/need, and want to gouge us for every little option/accessory, even if it's as simple as a mounting hole.

I’ve been quite happy with the RX-2800.
on a tripod I’ve gotten readings out to 2600 on rocks and trees but it’s a lot more happy a a mile to 2000.
for the $$$ it’s hard to beat.

I’m only planning on replacing it because I need more reach.

Hi Simon, yeah was considering a binocular/rangefinder combo, but they are only 10x42 and for PRS I'm using Bushnell Forge 15x65's that I just bought and LOVE. The glass on those things is so clear, it's even better than the Meopta MeoStars I had at 3x the price. Anyway, thanks for the recommendation. Think I'm going with the Sig Kilo5 if anyone gets it in stock. The Leica's are great, but I'm pretty pi55ed that they don't include a 1/4" mounting hole and I have to buy one for $100...Gonna start boycotting these companies who don't really keep up with what people want/need, even if it's as simple as a mounting hole.
Unrelated question, but what made you decide to switch from the MeoStars to the Bushnells?

Unrelated question, but what made you decide to switch from the MeoStars to the Bushnells?
Interesting story. I really liked the MeoStars, but my wife is my spotter and she didn't care for them for some reason. Then, I got a Leupold Gold Ring spotting scope and I can tell you the glass was not good and the build quality was questionable. I was at a match about 3 months ago and was spotting for a shooter when I looked through his binoculars and was blown away at the clarity and sharpness. Asked him what they were and totally expected to see a $1500 pair of binoculars when I searched for them...Nope, $599. I bought them that day and love them. Now, I'll go even further and tell you that I looked at the Forge spotting scope as well, thinking that the glass would be like the Forge binoc's...Not even close. Sent the spotting scope back and have an Athlon coming to try out. I use the binoculars in matches for general spotting and target acquisition. I use the spotting scope at the range for 800yd+ hit calls by my wife. I want to always make sure my DOPE is on point. I don't want to lug an 85mm spotting scope around during a match. I know it sounds crazy to have two different spotting devices, but that's just how I'm wired! :)

Understand, I went from Bino/rangefinder life to a bino with the rangefinder in it “sig 3000” and love having the all in one. I use it for prs type of matches but I mainly shoot team matches and having a all in one is key for that especially since they are all find, range and engage style. Shot the nrl hunter last year and they were also a necessity for that. I’m a carry the least amount of stuff in my ruck as I possibly can, quite the opposite of the majority of guys it seems in this sport, so eliminating another piece of kit was great. With prs doesn’t really matter all that much how much you drag around so your idea should work great. Let us know how the Kilo 5 work when you find them. If you do go the other route for the money the sig 3,000 are hard to beat IMO. Good luck. By the way myself obviously and many of my shooting friends do just fine with 10x42 in prs/nrl matches

I'm using the SIG 2200. In a tripod I can hit an elk at 2000. Tyler Kemp has 3d printed tripod mounts for cheap.

I haven't replaced the battery in 4 years. I use it at every match and hunting. It's always been dependable and within .5 yrd of the leicas and vortex I've compared against.

I'm waiting to see the sig 3k and 10k binos side by side. If the glass is comparable to the Zulu 9 vs the Zulu 5, I'll grab the kilo10k.

If you get the Kilo 5 please post a review. I’m looking for a rangefinder to link up to a kestrel so I can ditch the phone later on down the road. Currently I’m using a Kilo 1800 which has done very well for me. I almost bought a Kilo 2200 for $389 but did some research thankfully and figured out the description on OP was wrong and it wouldn’t link.

If you get the Kilo 5 please post a review. I’m looking for a rangefinder to link up to a kestrel so I can ditch the phone later on down the road. Currently I’m using a Kilo 1800 which has done very well for me. I almost bought a Kilo 2200 for $389 but did some research thankfully and figured out the description on OP was wrong and it wouldn’t link.
Just ordered the Kilo 5 from CameralandNY...Got 10% off by calling them. I'll post a review when I get it. I'm looking first at the ranging capability and second, the bluetooth to my Kestrel. I really wanted that Leica, but if they're making me spend another 100 for a tripod mount, then I'm not doing it. They better wake up and get with the features that matter to people or they'll be left behind.

I have been using the Vortex Razor HD 4k since its release and very happy with it. I have ranged steel out to 2k without issue, it does need to be mounted on tripod for the longer distances.

Reactions: RRW and Holliday
Just ordered the Kilo 5 from CameralandNY...Got 10% off by calling them. I'll post a review when I get it. I'm looking first at the ranging capability and second, the bluetooth to my Kestrel. I really wanted that Leica, but if they're making me spend another 100 for a tripod mount, then I'm not doing it. They better wake up and get with the features that matter to people or they'll be left behind.
Awesome! I was talking myself out of buying a Ballistics Kestrel the past couple months but after going hunting with my neighbor this week I’m ready. I dropped my phone in a mud puddle right next to a deep spot in the water while trying fo get dope from Strelok Pro. If I dropped it a couple inches further it would of been a major phone bill instead of just cleaning mud out of every nook and cranny. So now I’m trying to figure out which Ballistics Kestrel to buy then finding a rangefinder to link. That Kilo 5 would probably last a lifetime for me, it has some amazing features built in and I really like the Sig gear.

Awesome! I was talking myself out of buying a Ballistics Kestrel the past couple months but after going hunting with my neighbor this week I’m ready. I dropped my phone in a mud puddle right next to a deep spot in the water while trying fo get dope from Strelok Pro. If I dropped it a couple inches further it would of been a major phone bill instead of just cleaning mud out of every nook and cranny. So now I’m trying to figure out which Ballistics Kestrel to buy then finding a rangefinder to link. That Kilo 5 would probably last a lifetime for me, it has some amazing features built in and I really like the Sig gear.
Yeah, I'll see how it does and then post a video on it. I use the Kestrel 5700 with AB and bluetooth...LOVE IT.

Reactions: JasonPaul
I have been using the Vortex Razor HD 4k since its release and very happy with it. I have ranged steel out to 2k without issue, it does need to be mounted on tripod for the longer distances.
What are longer distances? Thanks

Interesting thread. Hearing lots of good feedback on the Sig Kilo 3000BDX. Can't wait until I get mine in.

I very recently went with the Sig 2400BDX because of it's rock solid connectivity with the Kestrel. If that wasn't a concern the research I did pointed towards the Leica being the better option.

Was looking at the Leica 3500.COM myself. But was able to put the Sig Kilo 3000BDX on layaway for $950.

I very recently went with the Sig 2400BDX because of it's rock solid connectivity with the Kestrel. If that wasn't a concern the research I did pointed towards the Leica being the better option.

Reactions: Fat Dark Earth