• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns I need a revolver

godofthunder

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2013
Nebraska
www.rustynutsdesigns.com
As typical for 2022 I saw a meme the other day that made me realize I needed a revolver. I have a Ruger Single Six that I enjoy shooting. It's a good small game pistol and I take it to the deer stand with me while bowhunting with the 22 WMR cylinder for coyotes. I want a centerfire revolver.

Main use case is shooting for fun. It's unlikely that it's something I would carry concealed on a daily basis. It is very likely that I would toss it in rotation for carrying in my Hill People Gear kit bag though. It's also likely that I would want to try using it to whack a few whitetail doe here in Nebraska. Could potentially be carried in bear country (Wyo, MT, Alaska) when I go camping or hunting, but likely I would carry a double stack 10mm like a G20/G40 or Sig P320 XTEN.

I've been looking at the S&W 610 4" (10mm) since I already have 10mm ammo and since it can shoot .40
I also stumbled across the S&W 350 (350 Legend) which seems like something I may like owning, but its a little big for what I want right now I think.

What do our resident revolver experts recommend? Open to other brands/calibers, the S&W 610 is just where my initial research has taken me.

Reactions: xsn10s
My EDC is a M686 4" and it's a bit big for IWB but I make it work. For a belt I carried a M29 4"up in Alaska so I think your line of thinking is really good. Makes good sense to me and I'd have no issues with carrying a M610 4". It might even be lighter than my M686 due to bore diameter.

Last edited:
Reactions: godofthunder
Go DW for a 10mm revolver.

A step above.
Have shot a few with serious bear loads and a blast to shoot.

Would own one if budget was unlimited.

Or carry your 10mm you already have for bears in bear country and get a full size .357.
Works fine for many things, very easy to load some lead .38 ammo for plinking.
I have an old Ruger .357 for this.
Piles of fun.

I should say you could notice better velocities with your semi autos vs revolvers of same barrel length. That cylinder gap loses some gas so I'd expect better velocities with semi autos. But if you shoot a revolver well or better than semi autos then that's a plus for revolvers.

Go DW for a 10mm revolver.

A step above.
Have shot a few with serious bear loads and a blast to shoot.

Would own one if budget was unlimited.

Or carry your 10mm you already have for bears in bear country and get a full size .357.
Works fine for many things, very easy to load some lead .38 ammo for plinking.
I have an old Ruger .357 for this.
Piles of fun.
I think a DW is out of my budget too. I'm thinking around $1k is where I'd like to stay.

Reactions: powdahound76
I want a centerfire revolver.

Main use case is shooting for fun.

In no particular order
  • S&W Models 10/64/13/65/15/67
  • Ruger Security Six
  • S&W Models 586/686
  • Ruger GP 100
All with a 4" barrel. New or used, it doesn't matter as long as it's in excellent mechanical condition.

You're welcome.

ETA: use a rifle for deer hunting.

SP101 3 inch makes a nice EDC. I carried mine pre-CHL, IWB cross draw.

20220803_215324.jpg

I'd skip the 10mm since you already have a double stack. I have a Glock 20 and 40 that I really like. But a revolver in the same caliber seems like a handicap next to them. Also if I'm going to carry something noticeably heavier I want more power.

I'm a S&W fan, but good recommendations above on other brands.

To me .357 Mag or .44 Mag are the logical choices. Personally if I could own only one it would be .357 if you do not reload and .44 Mag if you do. A model 29 or 629 can do anything and .44 SPL is one of the most accurate and delightful shooting experiences I have had with a revolver.

Reactions: Coffee_and_Pipes
I have Smith & Wesson and Ruger revolvers in .357, .44 mag, .45 ACP, and 10mm. I love my S&W 610-2. I use plastic moon clips from ezmoonclip.com. You can load and unload these clips without tools. I have had no issues using them.

View attachment 7945967
Sweet set up!!! I've had DW, Rugers, Colts revolvers as well as J K N frames. The double action trigger is superior on S&W's imho. Nothing wrong with the others. But I only have S&W's in my stable now.

I'd skip the 10mm since you already have a double stack. I have a Glock 20 and 40 that I really like. But a revolver in the same caliber seems like a handicap next to them. Also if I'm going to carry something noticeably heavier I want more power.

I'm a S&W fan, but good recommendations above on other brands.

To me .357 Mag or .44 Mag are the logical choices. Personally if I could own only one it would be .357 if you do not reload and .44 Mag if you do. A model 29 or 629 can do anything and .44 SPL is one of the most accurate and delightful shooting experiences I have had with a revolver.
Have a Dillon XL750 that I need to set up, but will be reloading whatever I go with. Part of the reason I like 10mm since I'll be loading for that anyways.

This won't be my last revolver either, just my first.

What you need is a light weight S&W 329.... in 44Mag.... it's good for one shot until the carpel tunnel sets in!

Bought one of those, and it was a MISTAKE. However, Sig has a 44 Special load that it actually quite pleasant to shoot from it...

Could potentially be carried in bear country (Wyo, MT, Alaska) when I go camping or hunting
I will say that in bear country a 357, 44, or even a 45 in a revolver might be a bit better. The reason being is the really wide metplat bullets might give better terminal performance for the griz. However famed grizzley guide Phil Shoemaker stopped a griz attack with a 9mm using Buffalo Bore's 147 hardcast ammo. So I'd bet a hardcast 40 S&W or 10mm load from them would work too. Good luck and have fun!

Hard to argue a .357 but the versatility of the .44 mag or .45 Colt in a strong wheel gun is superb. Load down to 45acp levels or as hot as you are willing to tolerate and capable of anything that can be done with a handgun. I particularly like the bullet availability of the .45 cal, (I load .454 Casull to all levels)

On a progressive press the shorter and/or fatter cases are nice to work with, easy to see powder level compared to the long skinny cases with light charge weights in them.

As typical for 2022 I saw a meme the other day that made me realize I needed a revolver. I have a Ruger Single Six that I enjoy shooting. It's a good small game pistol and I take it to the deer stand with me while bowhunting with the 22 WMR cylinder for coyotes. I want a centerfire revolver.

Main use case is shooting for fun. It's unlikely that it's something I would carry concealed on a daily basis. It is very likely that I would toss it in rotation for carrying in my Hill People Gear kit bag though. It's also likely that I would want to try using it to whack a few whitetail doe here in Nebraska. Could potentially be carried in bear country (Wyo, MT, Alaska) when I go camping or hunting, but likely I would carry a double stack 10mm like a G20/G40 or Sig P320 XTEN.

I've been looking at the S&W 610 4" (10mm) since I already have 10mm ammo and since it can shoot .40
I also stumbled across the S&W 350 (350 Legend) which seems like something I may like owning, but its a little big for what I want right now I think.

What do our resident revolver experts recommend? Open to other brands/calibers, the S&W 610 is just where my initial research has taken me.
In my opinion... With modern revolvers, there's only 1 brand worth the money... Smith & Wesson.

The most fun wheelgun that I own is my Smith & Wesson 686-0. It's a 6-shot .357 Magnum with a 6" barrel with the full-underlug. It's Cadillac-smooth with my handloads. It's my favorite revolver I own. I bought it well over a decade ago, and it's just amazing. Super smooth, and premier quality and accuracy.

If you are going to get a revolver, you might as well consider either the classic .357 Magnum or the .44 Magnum rounds

Assuming you don't want to step up to the .44 Magnum, I'm very partial to the Ruger SP101 if you want something compact and sleek and beautiful that fits in your hand and shoots well. I personally like the ones with the slightly longer barrels.

If you want to do some serious hunting with it or carry it for backwoods protection then the GP100 with the nice big molded rubber grips is an excellent choice.

If you want a concealed carry / concealed backup piece for two legged critters, then the Ruger LCR in .357 Magnum with the Hogue rubber grip is your ticket.
(DON'T get the .357 special model or the one with the hard plastic laser grips).

Any of those three will be decent to shoot, last a long time, carry well and have good resale value.

In no particular order
  • S&W Models 10/64/13/65/15/67
  • Ruger Security Six
  • S&W Models 586/686
  • Ruger GP 100
All with a 4" barrel. New or used, it doesn't matter as long as it's in excellent mechanical condition.

You're welcome.

ETA: use a rifle for deer hunting.
This right here is awesome advice. I would never get a revolver chambered in a semi auto cartridge, Partially because of the loss in velocity due to cylinder gap but more importantly when your limited to 5 or 6 shots (or 8 with certain S&W) more Power is better. Ruger is the best bang for your buck no doubt and super strong, also heavy.

What you need is a light weight S&W 329.... in 44Mag.... it's good for one shot until the carpel tunnel sets in!

Bought one of those, and it was a MISTAKE. However, Sig has a 44 Special load that it actually quite pleasant to shoot from it...

I have one of the performance center snubby 629s and that thing is painful to shoot with 44mag, boot grips cut my hand every time I shoot it. I can’t imagine owning one of the scandium frame 44mags.

Gun is beautiful though and with 44spc it’s great.

I’ll echo others if getting a revolver why bother with the constraints of an auto cartridge.

In no particular order

S&W 19 If carried a lot and shot little (at least with .357)

- the modern ones might be stronger and the next performance center is a beautiful gun.

S&W 686 - their answer to the python and stronger than k frame

S&W 629
Ruger GP100
Ruger SP101 (smaller, better ccw)

Ruger Blackhawk if you want single action. You can spend more money but won’t really buy a better gun just better looking.

Reactions: Mblackmon4
Tyler gun works has several that he’s gone through and tricked out I have a Blackhawk he did and it’s great. He also has some just normal ones. It’s fun too look and drool at them all

Not a revolver expert by any means, but I've had a few. Only have 2 as of right now, a match pair of S&W 686s. To me the .357 mag is the Ideal revolver round. (plus you can shoot .38 Special) Also, you can get a lever-gun to match. Thread the lever-gun barrel for a can, and with the .38 rounds... it's hollywood quiet.

S&W 686 x 2.jpg

Find a Ruger redhawk or S&W in 45 colt. Load the RCBS 45-270-SAA to 900-1,000 fps.

Hits hard, penetrates deep, not massive recoil.

Reactions: bobke
Find a Ruger redhawk or S&W in 45 colt. Load the RCBS 45-270-SAA to 900-1,000 fps.

Hits hard, penetrates deep, not massive recoil.

If you want to go all nice and old school .45LC you could go all the way for being classic:

If you want to go all nice and old school .45LC you could go all the way for being classic:

I usually carry a Colt SAA or model 27.

Colt is loaded with a 250 gr RNFP over 38 gr of black powder.

Model 27 is loaded with a 178 gr Swc with enough Unique to scare most people.

45 Colt gets overlooked often, but that ho will fling some damn lead, and recoil is very manageable.

S&W 686+ in the barrel length 9f your choice. I prefer 3" as you get the full length ejector rod. The k and l frame carry easier then the full N frame.

I usually carry a 7 shot 357 or 5 shot 44mag ( s&w model 69). However I also carry a 3" 629-1 and 4" no dash 66.

I usually carry a Colt SAA or model 27.

Colt is loaded with a 250 gr RNFP over 38 gr of black powder.

Model 27 is loaded with a 178 gr Swc with enough Unique to scare most people.

45 Colt gets overlooked often, but that ho will fling some damn lead, and recoil is very manageable.

.45LC will get the job done nicely for two legged critters if you have a decent length barrel.
Flatnose Cast Lead bullets dump all that energy right into the target with a pretty hard punch.

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Elmer Kieth was putting in work with the 45 way back in the day. Itll do the job just as well for us now as it did for him

Reactions: W54/XM-388
I have one of the performance center snubby 629s and that thing is painful to shoot with 44mag, boot grips cut my hand every time I shoot it. I can’t imagine owning one of the scandium frame 44mags.

Gun is beautiful though and with 44spc it’s great.
I have a model 340PD that I carry and shoot all the time. Had it since 2008. It's a scandium frame, Ti cylinder & trigger 5-shot J-Frame .357 Magnum that requires no lighter than 120gr bullets (says so on the side of it). It weight like 13oz. It's a handful. But that's why you put a Hogue 3-finger grip on them. It's an accurate little bastard though. It's travelled all over the US with me, and it's been hundreds of miles offshore. It's done it's fair share of CYA for me. And I still trust it to this day.

IMG_7135.jpeg

IMG_7137.jpeg

All the Smith and Wesson revolvers people are recommending have so many numbers it's difficult to keep it all straight.

Let me make it easy for you......

Ignore any dashes and you will still have something more fantastic than those examples of PI others are suggesting.

Reactions: 308pirate
I would look for a pinned & recessed (pre 1982) S&W 65 with a 3“(more $) or 4" barrel, if I was only going to own one.

There is nothing that the pinned and recessed S&Ws have in quality over those that aren't. It's just unnecessary machining from a bygone era.

IMG_20201205_100814.jpg

There is nothing that the pinned and recessed S&Ws have in quality over those that aren't. It's just unnecessary machining from a bygone era.

View attachment 7947416
But there is something new Smiths have that pinned and recessed do not……

Can’t think what it is right now….someone remind me, please.

Yeah I know.

My 65-8 isn't p&r and also doesn't have the unnecessary hole.

Reactions: pmclaine

View attachment 7947416

I have nothing against newer S&Ws, just prefer those details.

MIM parts and safeties