• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a SINGLE proven Varget/6.5 Creedmoor load

ANGLICOMarine

Retired Marine
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I need help....I don't have a lot of time on the net this week to research and I have an event this weekend. I need a PROVEN Varget load for a 140 A-Max (6.5 Creedmoor) in a bolt gun (Surgeon action/26" barrel). I have the load data sheet from Hornady that shows the reloading data/load range but don't have time to go out and work up a load. Thanks for the help and sorry for the short fuse.

(...and I promise next time I'll use the search function)
Semper Fi

Re: I need a SINGLE proven Varget/6.5 Creedmoor load

Anglico Marine,

In your shoes I would just buy as many boxes of factory 6.5 Creedmoors as needed for your shoot. Any "proven" load in somebody else's rifle is just as much as a crap shoot, if not more so. Also Varget is not usually at it's "best" in a 6.5 Creedmoor w/ a 140 gr bullet, as most guys are using the slower H4350 or RL-17.

Hodgdon list Varget w/ 140 A-Max'x from 32.0 to 35.8 grains, but they are all quite slow, under 2600 fps even for a Max load.

Good luck,

Bob

To add to what Bob wrote. H4350 is generally a better burn rate powder for the 6.5's. I understand Varget if you already have it for other cals.

Understand Varget is not the best for this caliber, I'm just not going to get my H4350 before the weekend. Also appreciate the fact that every rifle is different...but am hoping that in a pinch a good load for someone else's rifle would be close enough for me to work with...and I have a ton of Varget.

Thanks for the input!

good luck with that

Agree buy the proven loaded rounds no one I know is using anything but RL17 or 4350?
Bill

I wish I could get my hands on factory loaded 140's. I actually live about a mile away from Creedmoor Sports and stop in quite often, I think they said the 140's are on back order.

Just got back from Creedmoor and they got some ammo from Hornady...I am now the proud owner of 200rds of ammo. Please disregard...thanks!

Reactions: smtitmelevi