• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a sling

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
next March our club will add a modern rifle match in addition to our CMP matches. I plan on shooting both my Les Baer AR15 and my DPMS LR308 SASS.
The SASS is one heavy mama.
I need a good sling for shooting prone and standing- if we are allowed to use a sling standing. I need to check that.
I need a sling for use in position shooting, not a single point sling for carry and use in 3-gun, etc. or a carry sling.

I have a canvas sling that I use on my Garand and a similar sling would work if it was shorter. I didn't think about this but could I just cut a Garand sling shorter, or are there much better options?

I can do a search through some of the vendors I have bookmarked but I would appreciate hearing from someone who has use a sling for an AR in competition. The leather slings from Turner work well on bolt rifles and Garands, but a leather sling on an AR would look funny and probably be too long.

Jim

Re: I need a sling

nma.jpg

i don't think they look funny.

turner leather slings are OK-ish, but they are thinner and more flexible than the rules allow (meaning you can buy thicker, better leather, like the sling in the pic). turner's biothane slings are extraordinarily grippy. once you sling in, it won't move (which is good) but it takes me more than 3 min prep time to get slung in, so better to put the sling on your arm before prep and then put the sling on the gun during prep.

the good news is slings are cheap. so buy one of each and figure out which one you like.

I use a TAB sling on my ar, though I don't shoot slung probe very much. The times I have the TAB has worked fine for it.

Taliv my ARs don't have an A2 buttstock. Thinking about it that might be a problem. Both have collapsible buttstocks.

Jim

it's suboptimal for traditional positions, but won't affect your use of the 1907 style sling. when in use, the sling is only attached to the front of the gun and your arm. it is not attached to the stock

Hard to beat a USGI web sling. If a sling is long, I remove the metal tip, cut the sling down, then re-clamp it on the end. No real harm in leaving it long though. Creadmore also has them in stock if you dont want to cannibalize your Garand sling.

You dont need a rear swivel/sling attachment point for a loop sling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RagnarDM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hard to beat a USGI web sling. If a sling is long, I remove the metal tip, cut the sling down, then re-clamp it on the end. No real harm in leaving it long though. Creadmore also has them in stock if you dont want to cannibalize your Garand sling.

You dont need a rear swivel/sling attachment point for a loop sling. </div></div>

I am not going to cannibalize the sling on my Garand. I am thinking about buying 2 more.
If it won't attach at the rear I will need to be able to remove it from the front if we have the same rules as in the Garand match. In those we can't use a sling standing and we can't just let it hang.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blue Force Vickers.

john </div></div>

Which one?

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I will need to be able to remove it from the front if we have the same rules as in the Garand match. In those we can't use a sling standing and we can't just let it hang.

Jim </div></div>

I put another rear keeper on the front of the sling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Boyette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blue Force Vickers.

john </div></div>
Good sling. I also like the VTAC padded.

the BFG and VTAC slings i own are great for carbine classes and such. i was not aware they made shooting slings.

ime, 99%+ of shooters on the line have a USGI web or 1907 style sling by their 2nd match. USGI is cheap and easy. 1907 style somewhat more complicated and you will want to find someone who knows what they're doing to show you the proper way to use it. the advantage of the latter is that it is easy to repeatably adjust. for example, the properly adjusted length of the sling for me in prone is not the same as in sitting. i move the frogs up or down two notches between sitting rapid and prone rapid (only takes a few seconds). it would be much harder to do this reliably with a nylon sling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does anyone have any experience with a quick cuff sling?

Jim </div></div>

Jim, I am the owner/designer/manufacture of the Quick Cuff Slings

The US Military uses these on most of the SASS and other Sniper Systems.

The KAC M110 and MK11 are issued with this sling

For position shooting I do not believe you can beat the Quick Cuff

I've been using the quick cuff for about a year. i like it a lot for practical type shooting. i don't see it getting much adoption in CMP/NRA HP matches.

Taliv, NRA has not given Offical Approval for it to be used in National Matches but many are pushing for it since its issued now. It is used in many local level matches where the match director allows it.

NRA approval equals politics, while else is a leather sling never issued on an AR OK but not the sling actually issued and used.

sure, tactical, but if all the 'actually issued' guns were legal, i still don't see anyone competitive switching to the m4 for example, simply because the older A2 is much more fit for purpose (a pretty non-practical purpose).

similarly, if all issued slings were legal, i think most competitors would stick with the 1907. please don't take this as a knock on your sling. it's not. i prefer it for sniper-style matches.

i see the advantage of your sling being the "quick cuff" design being much quicker. the disadvantage is that the numbered holes in the old leather allow you to quickly and deterministically adjust the length of the sling, where the buckles take longer, and you'd have to mark the sling or something (not a problem) to make sure you move back and forth between the same spots.

for practical matches, the advantage of your sling is critical, and the disadvantage doesn't really matter because you never get into a traditional position...you get contorted behind some funked up barricade. For CMP, your sitting and prone position has to be exactly repeatable. If I were going to use your sling for CMP, i'd probably just buy two of them and set one to the length for sitting and the other to the length for prone, and then sew around the buckles so they don't slip over time.

edit: i was going to suggest a feature enhancement that would let you adjust the sling in notches, but the minor game benefit would be heavily outweighed by the disadvantage of more parts to break and more weight for actual military use

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does anyone have any experience with a quick cuff sling?

Jim </div></div>

Jim, I am the owner/designer/manufacture of the Quick Cuff Slings

The US Military uses these on most of the SASS and other Sniper Systems.

The KAC M110 and MK11 are issued with this sling

For position shooting I do not believe you can beat the Quick Cuff </div></div>

Mike what are the advantages and disadvantages of the QD TIS sling and the non-QD sling?
Would one be better on an SASS and the other on the M4 style AR15? Or is the QD the best option for both?
I can't check until I get home but is there anything I would need to attach the sling to either of my rifles such as a specific swivel?

Jim

On Quick Cuff versus 1907 design. In the field I find it hard to believe anyone would still use the 1907 design when there are far better options out there. In Service Rifle Comps, they are current best option that are approved at Camp Perry. The Quick Cuff sling has less shot impact distortion from pulse than a 1907 design so easier to shoot more accurately with than 1907. The cuff design does not get looser ( Stupid frogs just dont hold well until you try and get out of them) with every round fired as a 1907 design does. The cuff is easier to teach to shoot with. The Quick Cuff sling does not rot or stretch like a leather sling will. The Quick Cuff Sling is faster in and faster out of. The Quick Cuff sling requires less arm movement after shooting to get out of and therefore is less likely to give away your position

On marking different spots for different positions I dont notice a need to change slings lengths between positions. Some guys do for Across the course but for field work I would never dink with making a change because sling use is for when you dont have time to set up a good solid ffp position and need to get hit now. Set the sling up for seated and be done with it. Thats what Quick Cuff was designed for, fast shots taklen when poop hits fan. If for range work you make constant changes no good nylon shooting sling will be what you want because most of us design our slings so they dont come undone and drop a rifle or miss a shot. Constantly changing strap lengths in field would be a bad thing. LOL

If you are looking at shooting slings I would only consider a few options for you:
My Quick Cuff
My Slip Cuff Quick Release ( does most of what the Quick Cuff does except it is not as fast to get into, but has no seperate cuff to tack down or keep track of.
or TABs regular AI Type sling set up for you AR.

Those three all work well and will outlast anyone who buys them.

I suggest you try all three and see what you like best.

I would stay away from wis bang carry straps if you want to shoot with it. They are designed as carry straps for hauling and CQB work, not precision.

Thanks Mike. I am not looking for a carry or CQB style sling. I just want to steady the rifle while prone. I am not sure if they are going to include a sitting position or if the match will be informal. I am also not sure if we will be using a sling standing offhand.
The sling on my Garand is good while prone shooting that rifle, but it isn't quick to get adjusted. There isn't a time limit to get setup but it seems like the QD sling would be quicker since I wouldn't have to adjust the length every time I get up. I will see if anyone near me has one of your slings so I can try it. I will probably buy another Garand sling and see if I can make it work. Your slings are not what I consider expensive so I might buy one to try too.

Jim

Jim, you have been around The Hide for a long time. If you wnat to try one of my slings I will send you a TxE one. If you like send payment and if not just send back in. Let me know if this works for you via PM

Mike, let me think your offer over. I think your QD sling is what I need, but I would be more comfortable just buying it.
I would install it first on my SASS. That rifle has a Magpul ACS collapsible stock on it now, with a sling mount on the castle nut lockplate. I am thinking very hard about replacing that stock with a PRS. Would that have any effect on which sling I need- a model 1 or model 2?

BTW what is a TxE sling?

Jim

I shoot for my base team and I prefer the 1907 leather slings. But I am by far in the minority at the matches, most guys use GI web slings. The biothane sling is also great. It won't wear and stretch like leather but can be slung like the 1907.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brothermatthew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot for my base team and I prefer the 1907 leather slings. But I am by far in the minority at the matches, most guys use GI web slings. The biothane sling is also great. It won't wear and stretch like leather but can be slung like the 1907. </div></div>

When you say the GI web sling is that the sling used on the Garand?
I like being able to use a cuff on my arm. The Garand sling is slow to get into and out of and get adjusted exactly where I like it. It isn't bad, but it is slow.
The Quick Cuff seems to solve that problem. I am just trying to make sure in my mind that it will work with the short distance between sling attachment points on my SASS. That has the rear sling attach basically at the castle nut now. I do plan- sometime- on changing the ACS stock to a PRS. That will give me some extra length.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Quick Cuff sling has less shot impact distortion from pulse than a 1907 design so easier to shoot more accurately with than 1907. </div></div>

i'm not sure what "shot impact distortion" is, but assuming you mean your pulse causes the gun to move while you're trying to shoot it...how do you figure your sling has less? (it may; i haven't noticed it. but i am curious)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On marking different spots for different positions I dont notice a need to change slings lengths between positions. Some guys do for Across the course but for field work I would never dink with making a change because sling use is for when you dont have time to set up a good solid ffp position and need to get hit now. Set the sling up for seated and be done with it. Thats what Quick Cuff was designed for, fast shots taklen when poop hits fan. If for range work you make constant changes no good nylon shooting sling will be what you want because most of us design our slings so they dont come undone and drop a rifle or miss a shot. Constantly changing strap lengths in field would be a bad thing. LOL</div></div>

totally agree. i did understand the context in this thread to be CMP matches. and I did specifically say "If I were going to use your sling for CMP..."
No one is suggesting constantly changing strap lengths in the field.