• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing I need a torque wrench for my AICS...

Stratmeister

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2008
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
I have one of those Wheeler FAT wrenches which is fine for a lot of things, but I recently put a Rem700 in an AICS and it has 2 action bolts that are hex (Allen?).

I have a regular Allen wrench that will fit the boltheads, but not a bit for the FAT wrench, and besides the bits for that are way too short to fit up into the stock.

What tool do I need to accurately torque these bolts instead of just doing it by hand? The AICS was skim bedded for the action already...

Re: I need a torque wrench for my AICS...

If you are having problems reaching far enough in the stock to tighten the bolts, remove the skins. My bits weren't long enough either. So I removed the skins and 5 minutes later my bolts were tightened to spec.

Well If you want to be cheap cut the bent end off of your Allen wrench and us a 3/16 socket on it after you insert it into the hole and into the bolt. I never have to take my skins off other than to get mud out of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well If you want to be cheap cut the bent end off of your Allen wrench and us a 3/16 socket on it after you insert it into the hole and into the bolt. I never have to take my skins off other than to get mud out of them. </div></div>

precisely what I did as well

So I guess that by 'concensus' the Wheeler FAT wrench is an acceptable tool to use for torque adjustments for action screws? I'll just do what Nutt and Swan suggest, thanks.

On the AICS, what should I torque at? I've heard anywhere from 40-65 from my reading on the net?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stratmeister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess that by 'concensus' the Wheeler FAT wrench is an acceptable tool to use for torque adjustments for action screws? I'll just do what Nutt and Swan suggest, thanks.

On the AICS, what should I torque at? I've heard anywhere from 40-65 from my reading on the net? </div></div>

the recommended torque spec for an aics is 53 inch pounds.