• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I need ACOG reticle feedback/advice

Hawk Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Mobile, AL
A trip back to the sandbox seems to be in my not too distant future. I want to purchase an ACOG to replace the aimpoint on my M4. There are soooo many options on reticles I'm not sure which one would benefit me the most and was hoping to get advice or feedback from you guys. I had an aimpoint last trip and while it seemed like it would do well in urban enviroments it wouldn't do well at stand off ranges. I had a TA01NSN i got from a blackwater guy before he left but gave it to a PV2 that was replacing us. It seemed to do well but took a few seconds to fixate on the crosshair. I've seen the chevron and donut options on the website but not sure if those will be the right choices for what i want.

I'm an aircrew member so most likely if i have to use the site it will be in an rural enviroment (200-600)meters in a stationary standoff situation waiting to be picked up. But if we had to use it in a city I'd like a quick aiming reference.

For stateside use it will go on my RRA entry tactical with either handloaded 69SMKs or XM855 ammo. I have a range with steel targets to 600 meters that i use.

Which one would you recommend for my situation? I've searched recent discussions on this but I couldnt find anything that really fit the type of shooting ill be doing.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Re: I need ACOG reticle feedback/advice

I like the chevron reticle myself. I own a TA33-9 calibrated for .308. Very easy to use. BDC'd out to 600 i believe. I wasn't sold on the chevron reticle but after shooting it I like it quite a bit.

if you found it hard to focus on the crosshair version, I recommend the chevron. You can place a piece of tape over the tritium rod thing at top to keep it from being washed out and as bright during the day without it effecting the brightness negatively at night or in lower light.

I have no experience with the donut version but have used both the crosshair and the chevron. I liked both but understand your concerns for the crosshair.

It wasnt necessarily hard to focus on. It just took a little longer to acquire and center on the target compared to the DOT on the aimpoint. I was hoping for a best of both worlds situation with the newer reticle options. So far it looks like the chevron will be my best option.

Is the BDC on those set up the same as on the TA01NSN. 62grn bullet from a 16" barrel..2800FPS?

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=145&back_row=4&categoryID=3

I dont know if it is or not but I was able to achieve first round hits with green tip and 77gr Match out of a rack grade M4 in Kuwait with the chevron version before we went north.

I don't think you will find an appreciable difference on man sized targets out to 600 if you are using issue ammo of either type.

I was able to use the chevron with both eyes open with no problem, like an aimpoint and noticed no real difference using the lower crosshairs for distance with either both eyes open or left eye closed.

I don't know that the donut would be better or worse as it would probably come down to personal preference. I liked the chevron because I felt it was easy to break down into 100,200,300m applications for smaller targets. the bottom of the chevron covered ?19"? wide targets at 300 with each width of the crosshairs getting smaller as the range increased to compensate for this.

I would just place the crosshairs on the shoulders on the iron maiden to get a rough estimate of range, adjust for wind left or right and shoot. Ding! every time. Might not have been exactly center mass, but it would have made a bad guy think twice.

For your application, I would think the chevron would be fine.

I think the chevron gives you the best of both worlds...you can use the tip of the chevron for very precise targeting at 100 meters,the whole chevron for up close work,the base of the chevron for 300 meters and the stadia lines for 400-800 meters.The donut is also good,just not as precise.

I have the TA11F.While compared to the TA31F you give up .5 in magnification(3.5 versus 4 power) and some field of view it is more than offset in my opinion by the much better eye relief in the TA11 series.I also have a TA01 with the crosshairs and it is fine but definately slower on target than the donut or chevron.

When I was in the Marine Corps I was issued a TA31 and then a TA31RCO on another deployment, since getting out I purchased a TA31ECOS figuring it would be a good all around optic for a carbine. However my favorite reticle is still the TA31RCO chevron. If I was deploying again I would use the TA31RCO and put a Docter red dot on top.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vc8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was in the Marine Corps I was issued a TA31 and then a TA31RCO on another deployment, since getting out I purchased a TA31ECOS figuring it would be a good all around optic for a carbine. However my favorite reticle is still the TA31RCO chevron. If I was deploying again I would use the TA31RCO and put a Docter red dot on top. </div></div>
I have the TA31RCO-M4 and have piggy backed a Docter RD, just as vc5841 described. I really like the chevron, it's quick, but I don't think the BDC is as good as the TA01 reticle. The TA31ECOS may be the best at what you want - long range aiming accuracy (200 to 600 meters) and a fast, close-in optic. Have a look at both and try to look through both if possible, I think it's one of the two.

If you are comfortable with a Aimpoint you need to look at a TA 11 with the donut. The TA 11 has lots of eye relief and gathers light extremely well with a large field of view. Aiming with the top of the dot is 100m the center is 250m and the bottom is 300m. Anything close just put to dot on target and pull the trigger. The 3.5 power is very good in locating targets and with practice close in shooting is no problem.

I just got the TA33 with the green horseshoe. I have played with it some but havent had it to the range yet. At first blush I think its the best one for me so far. I had a lot of trouble with my TA01. Eye relief was just too short. I never can seem to aim accurately with the chevron with some other ACOGS I tried. Being an aimpoint guy the dot just grabs my eye. With the green horseshoe with a center dot I have had no trouble transitioning far to close and in all different lighting conditions. This is the first ACOG I could do this with.

I have one of the NSN models with the crosshairs, I like it, but when I got the TA11J-G: 3.5x35 Trijicon ACOG® Illuminated Scope with
Green Crosshair .223 Ballistic Reticle, it was eye opening. I really like the illuminated green crosshairs, they really stand out, plus you still have the tritium for night time use, just like the NSN model.

So if you like cross hairs, I would recommend this model.

TA11J-G Link

+1 on the TA11. -1 on the chevron reticle also. I am selling my TA11F to the the one Steelhead mentioned.
CC

For that distance 200-600 I would look for something else with higher magnafication to at least 10X

Particularly given your stated envelope, I recommend that you look at a TA-11F (5.56 - chevron reticle.) As they've said, the TA-11 gives you friendlier eye relief compared to most other ACOG models (I find this helps when I’m shooting from awkward positions or when I’m trying to make a fast shot up close), and the chevron reticle gives a very flexible set of aiming options. I have a TA11 on my recce carbine - the glass is amazing. Its very bright, reasonably fast and I haven’t found anything better for that rifle.

I don't know what you are allowed to mount on a service weapon, but a way you might look, if allowed, is the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x with Green Triangle. You get 4x for longer engagements and true 1x if you need to work up close.

Perhaps you can't use it, but if you can, you may want to look in that direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stan462</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For that distance 200-600 I would look for something else with higher magnafication to at least 10X</div></div>
Magnification is a hindrance for his application. If he is viewing it while riding open door he will see nothing but a large blur, for anything else he will need rapid target ID and ability for a larger FOV.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know what you are allowed to mount on a service weapon, but a way you might look, if allowed, is the Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x with Green Triangle. You get 4x for longer engagements and true 1x if you need to work up close.

Perhaps you can't use it, but if you can, you may want to look in that direction.</div></div>

You can use anything that command approves, a personal ACOG is almost never a problem.

optics, lights and grips are all approved. We cant swap uppers, rails, grips or stocks, everthing has to stay orginal but we can add anything else for the most part.

All my scopes - including ACOG TA11H - have red illumination, and they're quite comfortable. I tried green once or twice on a different scope, it was OK but didn't feel better than red. Zak Smith in his review prefers red over green and lists good reasons.