• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I NEED ADVICE ON A NEW LRF BECAUSE IM AN IDIOT

7magsavage

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2012
So I have had a Swarovski Laserguide for ten years. Loved it. It was good glass, the battery life was insane, and it always gave me correct ranges. For me, I couldn't have asked for anything more. I took my kids to Yellowstone NP a couple weeks ago and brought it along and the best I can come up with is I must have left it in the fucking rental car. I was packing my stuff up last night to go shooting this morning and thats when I first missed it.
So now I have to replace a piece of gear because Im a damn idiot and lost a perfectly good tool.
What LRF would you guys recommend me replacing it with? I know theres been a ton of additions to the LRF world in the last decade that I have owned my Swaro.

Steve

Depends on the money you want to spend.

Sig
Vortex
Leica

All make standalone or binocular units, the first two can be had with built in ballistic solvers.

Technically Leica does this also but it's neutered and not nearly as robust.

That's also the approximate order of price. Sig and Vortex will be fairly close with Leica being substantially more.

You *could* buy a Vectronix LRF but after the fucking they gave us the first time around, IMO, I'd never give them another penny

What was the issue with Vectronix?
i have been out of the market for LRFs for over a decade. Im trying to re-educate myself.
Is there anything that is comparable to my old Laserguide in the terms of glass?
I have a set of good binoculars so I don't want ranging binoculars. I also don't want a ballistic solver.
I am a buy once cry once guy. I will spend the money to get what works and works well every time I pick it up.

What was the issue with Vectronix?
i have been out of the market for LRFs for over a decade. Im trying to re-educate myself.
Is there anything that is comparable to my old Laserguide in the terms of glass?
I have a set of good binoculars so I don't want ranging binoculars. I also don't want a ballistic solver.
I am a buy once cry once guy. I will spend the money to get what works and works well every time I pick it up.
The terrapin X is probably the best unit out right now. There are a few old vectronix PLRF’s for sale in the PX but I don’t know what kind of support is offered with those anymore if any at all.

I just got a set of Steiner M830LRF, 1535nm LRF binos. They are rugged and extremely capable. Its mostly effortless to range trees at 4000+ yards. I've got a bluetooth adapter on order that will link up to my Kestrel. Prior to purchasing I did a lot of research. For just pure range finding and observation your best bets is a set of the basic Leica Geovids LRF bino's. . There are at least a couple for sale in the PX most of the time. For Kestrel linking LRF Binos price jumps up and there's less choices: Leica 3200.com, Vortex fury HD and a few others. For just a dedicated LRF the Terrapin X is hard to beat. Frank did a good review. Down from the terrapin X would probably be one of the SIG or Vortex products.

I was going to show you just a simple Sig rangefinder, maybe 300-400$ or so, without a ballistic solver. Thought they were pretty common. I was surprised even the lower end rangefinder now seem to calculate ballistics.

I’ve been looking into vortex razor 4000 after my sig kilo 2k shit the bed after 5 years and they wouldn’t warranty it.

If I didn’t have a set of nice binos already I would look into RF binos, but I can’t justify the size and price.

I don’t shoot ELR so I don’t have the slightest use for something that can range over a mile.

But I want something that will range and range very accurately out to 1000+

What makes the Vectronix $1800? Meaning, are they worth it.

If the glass is better than the Vortex or Sig then I could see it. But of all three have virtually no difference in glass and all three can accurately range then I suppose it’s a toss up.

If I didn’t have a set of nice binos already I would look into RF binos, but I can’t justify the size and price.

I don’t shoot ELR so I don’t have the slightest use for something that can range over a mile.

If the glass is better than the Vortex or Sig then I could see it. But of all three have virtually no difference in glass and all three can accurately range then I suppose it’s a toss up.
They can be had for 1600 and come up here in the PX for less sometimes.

The Vectronix LRF has a pretty good smartphone app. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's the ONLY rangefinder that passes the compass heading on to the kestrel.

So I have had a Swarovski Laserguide for ten years. Loved it. It was good glass, the battery life was insane, and it always gave me correct ranges. For me, I couldn't have asked for anything more...

Steve
If a basic rangefinder does what you want, Laserguides still show up in the PX occasionally. Seen them as low as $250. Might keep an eye out for one.

Long shot, but have you tried calling the rental company? You would think that they would contact you if they found something but…

Yeah Ive tried calling the rental company. It was pretty pointless. I really have my doubts that anyone would be honest about it even if they did find it.
Honestly, I can't say for certain thats where I left it. Its the most likely place but who knows.
It makes me sick thinking about it. It was a solid piece of gear that never failed me.