• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need advice on brass. Winchester 6.5cm unprimed brass. I’m new to reloading.

ballisticguy

Private
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2021
Oklahoma
I have the opportunity to purchase 250 pieces of new unprimed Winchester 6.5cm brass for $0.40 each. Would this be worth my time with the large primer pocket? I’m new to reloading and I’m still currently reading up on load data. I need to find a load for my bergara b14 HMR 24in barrel. Everyone has to start somewhere, and this is time to admit I’m new. Should I stay away from this. Would this get me started? Should wait and Find some decent SRP brass? I thought this was decent deal giving the current times, but now I’m second guessing if I should buy these.

I have all my reloading equipment, and I have to start somewhere. I have 2lbs of H4350, and I still need a starting place as to which bullet I should go with. Point me in the right direction guys. I’ll learn quick, and log data. We were all here at some point.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with large rifle primer brass. Lots of us have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor with large rifle primers for years before anyone started making SRP brass. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Winchester brass is just Hornady brass with a different stamp, or at least it used to be.

Reactions: ballisticguy
There's nothing wrong with large rifle primer brass. Lots of us have shot thousands upon thousands of rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor with large rifle primers for years before anyone started making SRP brass. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Winchester brass is just Hornady brass with a different stamp, or at least it used to be.
This is helpful as I’m trying to figure out if I need to back out of this sale. Like I said, I’m new to reloading. I have been saving my factory loaded hornady brass. I’ve been following this forum for a few years, and with that being said I had to finally jump in. I have to start somewhere. This is probably the worst time to get started, but it what it is.

That’s why I’m here. I need advice. I do have my factory loaded hornady cases I have been saving. Should I just stick with these until I can find new brass in stock?
If you’re fine learning on the worst then go with it. I’d prefer to learn on something I don’t have to question. Hornady isn’t something I would want either though so… do it or don’t. We can’t tell you if it’s worth your time to you. I’m saying it’s not worth my time even if it’s free.

If you’re fine learning on the worst then go with it. I’d prefer to learn on something I don’t have to question. Hornady isn’t something I would want either though so… do it or don’t. We can’t tell you if it’s worth your time to you. I’m saying it’s not worth my time even if it’s free.
I worded my post differently. Basically I’m just looking to get started. I typically like to start with the best. Obviously, this doesn’t sound like it’s even decent from what your implying. I would just like to get started but it’s almost impossible to find what I need, as everyone is having issues. I’m just ready to get on the range and start perfecting a load that works for my rifle. Could you please recommend what I should look for if this brass isn’t worth my time. I’ll take all the advice I can get.

Last edited:
Big question is, do you have large rifle primers, if it was me, I would start with the once fired brass from your rifle, get some 140 gr eldm bullets try approximately 41.5 h4350 and practice reloading while looking for Peterson or Lapua brass, it really is worth the wait and money. The brass you have will work for learning how to properly size, trim, seat bullets.

Yes. I have 1000/LRP. I purchased the RCBS RC Supreme kit for loading my 6.5cm rounds along with a case trimmer, a decent digital scale, and RCBS Match dies( a few days out). I have a Lee classic Turret Kit I’ve been loading my 9mm with so have other stuff that I didn’t mention, I just wanted a dedicated press for my 6.5cm. Thank you for the advice. I’ll get the 140’s ordered as I have seen those commonly mentioned on many threads. I’ll back out of the Winchester brass and I’ll look for those you mentioned. Thank you for the recommendations. Like I said, I’ll take all the advice I can get.

I have been loading WIN LRP cases. Using a Savage too. I have the H4350 charge way more than expected with the WIN cases to get the velos desired for 1000 yds. No bolt lift issues but need to crack the one bag of Peterson I have and start loading those.

Need to do a H2o capacity comparison.

I worded my post differently. Basically I’m just looking to get started. I typically like to start with the best. Obviously, this doesn’t sound like it’s even decent from what your implying. I would just like to get started but it’s almost impossible to find what I need, as everyone is having issues. I’m just ready to get on the range and start perfecting a load that works for my rifle. Could you please recommend what I should look for if this brass isn’t worth my time. I’ll take all the advice I can get.
I’d skip the Winchester.
What I would do is to take 50 of those once fired hornady cases you already have and work with just those for now.
Size em everything and then load a test series and see what happens. Then size em again and do it all over with the next test.
That way if you make a mistake in sizing you only effect a small number of them which is what I’m sensing is your main concern. It also lets you see the effects of what you are doing “long term” much sooner than when you are processing hundreds of cases in a lot.

Once you find some results that you like with that small lot I would then proceed to the full lot or to some premier lapua, alpha etc brass.
You’ll find it’s much easier to find a good load when you don’t have to question whether it was you or the load in bad brass that caused it to shoot poorly.

I’d skip the Winchester.
What I would do is to take 50 of those once fired hornady cases you already have and work with just those for now.
Size em everything and then load a test series and see what happens. Then size em again and do it all over with the next test.
That way if you make a mistake in sizing you only effect a small number of them which is what I’m sensing is your main concern. It also lets you see the effects of what you are doing “long term” much sooner than when you are processing hundreds of cases in a lot.

Once you find some results that you like with that small lot I would then proceed to the full lot or to some premier lapua, alpha etc brass.
You’ll find it’s much easier to find a good load when you don’t have to question whether it was you or the load in bad brass that caused it to shoot poorly.
This is exactly what I’ll do. I’ll sell the new in bag win brass, reload my once fired brass, and hunt down some quality brass. That’ll help me rule out at least one variable, brass quality.

Lapua or Peterson, both are top tier. I shot Hornady LRP briefly, but had too many loose-feeling primer pockets just in the first firing. Did not inspire confidence, so I bought Lapua and never looked back.

6.5cm srp lapua brass is available if you look around.
I just ordered another 200 pieces from PV last week.
It was in stock at several sources when i started looking for it a couple weeks ago

The pockets on the WIN LRP are holding up fine with a stout H4350 load and a Lapua 136L but I think the case capacity is much more than say Lapua or Petersen. Weight variations also, but that could be where they cut the extractor grove.

I have held back starting the Petersen brass since only have 50 and no new out there anywhere since last year or more.

Lapua LRP and SRP are around and coming up frequently. Found a source for Alpha once fired. Thoughts on that?

The pockets on the WIN LRP are holding up fine with a stout H4350 load and a Lapua 136L but I think the case capacity is much more than say Lapua or Petersen. Weight variations also, but that could be where they cut the extractor grove.

I have held back starting the Petersen brass since only have 50 and no new out there anywhere since last year or more.

Lapua LRP and SRP are around and coming up frequently. Found a source for Alpha once fired. Thoughts on that?
Alpha is quality brass. It's what I use for my Desert Tech 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. 39.36 grains of RL16 and a 140 ELDM has been fantastic for me.

I have the opportunity to purchase 250 pieces of new unprimed Winchester 6.5cm brass for $0.40 each. Would this be worth my time with the large primer pocket? I’m new to reloading and I’m still currently reading up on load data. I need to find a load for my bergara b14 HMR 24in barrel. Everyone has to start somewhere, and this is time to admit I’m new. Should I stay away from this. Would this get me started? Should wait and Find some decent SRP brass? I thought this was decent deal giving the current times, but now I’m second guessing if I should buy these.

I have all my reloading equipment, and I have to start somewhere. I have 2lbs of H4350, and I still need a starting place as to which bullet I should go with. Point me in the right direction guys. I’ll learn quick, and log data. We were all here at some point.

Losing a few cheap cases at a comp isn't a big deal. Lot's of guys shooting top tier brass spending more time brass-hounding than shooting at comps. You can tell the guys shooting top tier brass by their tear-stained jerseys and dirty knees. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: sakobob

I do see a quality issue on the WIN LRP brass. Finish, neck, etc. large 2mm flash hole vs the 1mm flash hole on the alpha brass. I’m learning! It’s just a matter of time.
Ordered. Thank you!

Thanks to everyone in the thread for knocking some since into me! I’d rather start out right than wrong.

Lots of good brass is available. For years we shot Win brass, made cases from win brass, shot perfect scores with win brass (shooting handguns out to 200 meters) never had a complaint about win brass. But there is a caveat. Last time I purchased any win .223 brass was ten years ago. Different times for sure.

Some folks all but claim that if you don’t shoot so and so’s $1.15 per piece brass you can’t hit a thing. In a way, it might be true. but I believe that it is an issue of confidence. If a fellow thinks it will work, it will work. Can’t say anything bad about that.

If win brass is what you have and can’t find anything else, weigh it and sort it be weight, set aside all those that are too heavy and too light. (Try to get an average weight and figure maybe nothing heavier or lighter than say 2 grains, which in itself might be too large of a margin) clean em, run them through a good full length sizing die and give them a try. Maybe they will last and maybe they won’t. But don’t sit and not shoot, waiting to get some boutique brass that is not available. Get the good stuff when you can but shoot what you have rather than sitting around and waiting.

Lots of good brass is available. For years we shot Win brass, made cases from win brass, shot perfect scores with win brass (shooting handguns out to 200 meters) never had a complaint about win brass. But there is a caveat. Last time I purchased any win .223 brass was ten years ago. Different times for sure.

Some folks all but claim that if you don’t shoot so and so’s $1.15 per piece brass you can’t hit a thing. In a way, it might be true. but I believe that it is an issue of confidence. If a fellow thinks it will work, it will work. Can’t say anything bad about that.

If win brass is what you have and can’t find anything else, weigh it and sort it be weight, set aside all those that are too heavy and too light. (Try to get an average weight and figure maybe nothing heavier or lighter than say 2 grains, which in itself might be too large of a margin) clean em, run them through a good full length sizing die and give them a try. Maybe they will last and maybe they won’t. But don’t sit and not shoot, waiting to get some boutique brass that is not available. Get the good stuff when you can but shoot what you have rather than sitting around and waiting.
This is the type of advice I was looking for. I have better brass ordered, but I will follow these steps with the brass I have. In the mean time I’ll load the the win brass and use my LRP’s until I can secure a box of small rifle primers for the new brass. That you for the write up. This advice will help me tremendously.

JT

I am not home right now but thinkin the lot of 50 new cases I have yet to use in Starline LRP. Sorry for the hijack. Hows the Starline cases working/any using?

I use starline in 6.5 Manbun, and have no issues. Haven't shot it enough to wear it out, but so far no issues. Starline is highly recommended in Pistol circles.

I think starting with 'lower quality' brass is fine when you start. You gonna muck up a few as you learn. As you get more confident, you move up to more expensive brass. But the key, supposedly, is that the expensive brass lasts longer (more reloads!). Also you get better consistency in case volume, etc. I avoid WIN simply because right off the bat, I lose a few due to split necks straight out of the package. Starline or Hornady, I get 100/100 rather than 95/100.

Once loaded, my targets never complain about the crappy brass though. When you first drove, you probably got a beater car. Same concept applies here. Use some beater brass to learn on.

It should be fine for you even if you only use it to learn with better to make mistakes with the cheaper stuff than the over priced brass .
my alpha brass doesn't shoot any better than I can with my hornady brass which shoots just as good as my lapua brass and except all my Peterson brass being small primer when the others are large primer brass it shoots just as good as all the rest . I am still waiting to see if any of it lasts longer than the other but it's going to take a while as my hornady brass in only at 6 reloads and I have yet to try annealing anything .

It should be fine for you even if you only use it to learn with better to make mistakes with the cheaper stuff than the over priced brass .
my alpha brass doesn't shoot any better than I can with my hornady brass which shoots just as good as my lapua brass and except all my Peterson brass being small primer when the others are large primer brass it shoots just as good as all the rest . I am still waiting to see if any of it lasts longer than the other but it's going to take a while as my hornady brass in only at 6 reloads and I have yet to try annealing anything .
It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. The only downside is I got 4-5 reloads and the the primer pockets were loose on the first 150 pieces. Quality control was horrible and I trashed a good 50 pieces. I’ve learned a lot over the last 800 “plus” round I’ve reloaded and shot over the last few months.

I love this group of people! 🤘

Last edited: