• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

i need advise

sgtdeath66

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2008
oh
i have a small dilemma. i want to purchase a centerfire in .223 or .270, prefer bolt action. down side is my budget for the rifle is 350-400 bucks. the main purpose would be groundhogs and yotes so the distance will be no more than 400yrds. what do you prefer? another plus would be if it was a lefty

Re: i need advise

Cheapest bolt gun: Savage. They shoot.
Or, single shot: H&R.
You don't need a LH bolt gun. If you think you do, then go with the single shot - it's an ambi.

+ 1 Graham...........Savage or a good used 700 remington that you can catch at a good price used.........SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgtdeath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...any specific model </div></div>The $350 to $400 model.
wink.gif
grin.gif
laugh.gif

Seriously: Spend a few days combing your local box stores for deals. I saw a new .270 caliber Remington ADL, with a 22" pencil barrel, laminated stock, at Gander Mountain just the other day: $397.00. You couldn't buy a Rem action for that price.

HOWA 1500 I got mine for 379 and it came with a nikko-stirling scope which is alright for what I use it for. Its a tack driver.

SGT DEATH,

Great name!

Have you got a WalFart in your corner of Ohio? A Dick's Sporting goods? WalFart will definitely be cheaper.

I prefer new over used since there is no telling what the previous dumb ass might have done to it, but...if you know what you are looking for, have a good relationship with the vendor, and the price is right, used can be very good indeed.

Wish I would have seen this a few week ago i could have helped you i just go rid of a lefty savage in the 270 it cut holes right out of the box. Check your local gun shops. If your intrested I can give you the name and place of where i traded it in they still have it. Send me a pm I you want the info. I had the gun and fired only to sight it in and then in the safe it went. I won it a gun raffle.

Where at in Ohio are you?. We can help find the weapon you might be interested in if you give us the city you live in.... I've got some family up around Akron, Lorain, oberland, amherst.... Two of them are former Marines and most of my family likes weapons so it wouldn't be a problem.....Local gun shops might have what you need....We just need to know your area. SmokeRolls

If your buying a rifle for groundhogs or yotes, I wouldn't buy anything larger than a .25-06, .243 or smaller would be better. Especially if you are wanting to salvage the coyote pelts. I'd buy a .22 cal. Savage is your best bet for an inexpensive rifle that will plain shoot out of the box. I have a 12FV Savage heavy barrel. I don't like the stock but It hasn't ever shot over 3/4 moa no matter what I feed it. It cost me $425.00.

Wallyworld guns often came in .270 caliber, maybe because they may not have been popular and the distributers wholesaled them cheaper. Regardless, there's not really any drawback to the .270, aside from possibly some ammo suitibility issues.

For your needs a basic sporter .223 would be adequate for hunting applications, but that price range pretty much precludes something New-In-Box these days.

Also, because of outside factors, the firearms market is inflated and somewhat in disarray.

I'd say your timing is somewhat late, and that taking your time and scouting out a lot of alternatives would likely be your best bet.

Greg

+1 on 223. Savage makes accurate guns, but the feel of the action doesn't have the same quality that a Remington has. Personal preference really. However, both shoot well--Savage probably has the edge on accuracy. Savage i usually cheaper as well. Check the pawn shops. It seems like long actions are much more plentiful than short actions. Good luck finding something.