• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing I need help building an AR style rifle

HollisTheUtile

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2009
Pagosa Springs, CO.
I want to build a new upper to my existing AR platform. What parts do I need and how do I know what sizes, diameters, and other measurements to get?

I want to use a stag arms upper assembly (left handed). I know I need a gas block and the gas tube, but what else do I need?

Basically, I need advice on the little parts that attach to the barrel, assembly, and fore end.

Thanks.

<span style="font-size: 8pt">Sorry for making a repeat thread if I did.</span>

Re: I need help building an AR style rifle

Hollis,
What do you plan on doing with it? I mean is it a varmint rig, hp comp, plinker, etc? Tell us a little more about what you would like to do with it.

SOTA

Sorry. Its going to be more of a plinker and close to medium range varmints. I'm going to put either an Eotech or Aimpoint on it and something slightly heavier than a sporter barrel probably in the 18 to 20 inch range.

/I remembered my old profile, so I'm taking over the thread from the new one I made.

Hollis,
Your gonna need upper receiver, barrel, gas block, gas tube, Barrel nut, pins for gas block, bolt, bolt carrier, bolt retaining pin. Thats just what i can think of off top of my head. I'm sure theres a bit more to get.

SOTA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hollis2010</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any particular brands that you recommend? </div></div>
An upper consists of: upper receiver with forward assist and dust cover, barrel w/ extension, gas tube, gas block, forearm, charging handle, and bolt carrier group. The choice of forearm determines how the barrel is attached to the upper receiver. That is about it...not too complicated. Go to AR15.com and their "build it yourself" forum for more info. Now, regarding your choices.....that is a different matter.
smile.gif

What is your budget and how accurate are you talking?

18" to 20" barrel means a rifle-length gas system and 12" handguard

Do you want a "tacti-cool" upper with a picatinny forearm? Or do you want a round forearm varmint-style upper, which is a little more comfortable to grab and shoot. Do you want traditional iron sights? Pop-up iron sights? What kind of optics? Gonna use a bipod? Will it need a picatinny rail or a sling stud?

Basically, there are a million choices when building an AR and it helps to have a vision of what you want to build. Go to some websites and look at the existing builds and decide what you want. Then you can narrow things down. I"d classify uppers into the following categories:

1. Traditional M16-A2: fixed front sight post, removeable plastic forearms, barrel with flash hider
2. Varmint: bull barrel, tubular aluminum forearm, no iron sights.
3. "Tacti-cool": Picatinny rail forearm, barrel with or without flash hider, pop-up iron sights

For best-of the best, check out the rifles from White Oak, LaRue, Compass Lake Engineering, Noveske, LMT, Daniel Defense, Rock River, and others. Just look at what they have to offer. Hopefully, you will decide what you like.

A good website for upper parts from many different manufacturers is operationparts.com