• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need help mounting a Dillon 550

Big Bo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2005
Cal West
I mounted a Lee Classic Cast on the Lee quick release base. I would like to mount my Dillon 550B to the Lee base also. Has anyone done this before?
Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow the swap?

Never seen that, an adapter would likely have to be fabricated. Dillon kinda does their own thing. There are guys on here that can do that and you may be able to contract one of them to do the work if you asked. Depending, some may do it for free, some may want a little payment, some may do a trade. I've gotten several things done that way, even turned a USO spotter into a day/night field observation setup w/Mk5 LRF, PVS14, PEQ2 all on a custom mount with custom adapters --none of the shit was ever intended to work together. It's the only one in the world and it works damn well and saved me a fortune. Where there's a will, there's a way. Hell, you may be able to make it yourself if it's not too complicated.

But I use a 650 and I got their base for it. It brings it up to just the right height, my table is about waist high so I needed the height. If yours could use a little more height when it's mounted, I'd recommend that. It also keeps the linkage, etc. from hitting the edge of my table, which I seem to have a problem with on all presses. It's a big table. I'd like to mount the BFR a little higher so I don't have to bend over to work it, but may just get the floor mount when I move and bolt it to the concrete. Having 'em at the right height makes 'em work much better, much faster.

Also, having my RCBS single stage press mounted in between the BFR and the 650 is VERY handy --I use it to swage primer pockets on .50BMG and pullet various bullets or if I need to do a few operations and don't wanna setup the 650. It has a lot of uses actually, most all to supplement the other two presses.

I don't know if you use the auto trimmer or not, but that thing really sped things up for me and made trimming, my most hated time consuming job, a breeze and something that just gets done when sizing brass. I LOVE that thing. Many of the trim dies are also FL sizing dies, so if you set 'em up for sizing and use an expansion mandrel after it, you won't need to use a sizing die. I still do use my dies, I have the room, but it's nice to know. I also use the roller handle and bullet tray and that speeds things up along with the case dispenser. I love my 650! Dillon also makes the best pocket swager too, by far, the Super Swager.

Good luck!

I would have also chosen the Inline fabrication mount but had allready started building one myself when someone mentioned them.
If you dont have the equipment to fabricate something then they are probably the best choice.
Here is the elevated mount that I built.
20180929_130739.jpg

I would have also chosen the Inline fabrication mount but had allready started building one myself when someone mentioned them.
If you dont have the equipment to fabricate something then they are probably the best choice.
Here is the elevated mount that I built.View attachment 6955987

That's what I need for my BFR but I don't have the stuff and it's a 100lb. press.

Inline Fabrication... I'll have to check that out, I had no idea anyone made stuff like that.

The Dillon mount isn't bad at all and not that expensive as I recall, so if it works for you, I'd consider it.

That's what I need for my BFR but I don't have the stuff and it's a 100lb. press.

Inline Fabrication... I'll have to check that out, I had no idea anyone made stuff like that.

The Dillon mount isn't bad at all and not that expensive as I recall, so if it works for you, I'd consider it.

The inline fab mounts get a lot of praise and are very reasonably priced.
The one pictured that I built didn't cost me anything other than a little time, it is made from 3/8" 516 G70 and gusseted top and bottom with 1/4" A36 plate.
Kind of overkill but the price was right.

I have an inline Fab base for my Forester co ax. Very nice mount. Pricey, but good quality product. Do not want to spend "more" than I want since I bought the Lee base. Thinking Lee base, plus Inline mount and another attachment would run well over $100. With the co ax I am not sure if the Dillon will get that much use. I am being a cheap ass.