• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes I Need help with my new Nikon Monarch 6-24x50

Tib's sps.tac

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2010
Hello all...this is my first post on this forum and i am also a fairly new to the sniping world so forgive me if i am not up to speed in my terminology
smile.gif

I recently purchased a .308 sps tactical with a nikon monarch 6-24x50 (1/8 MOA). I went ahead and did all my calculations (bullet drop and subsequent MOA adjustments per distance), but noticed that my scope couldnt adjust as far as i was wanting it to. For example, at 800 yards one click of my scope equals one inch. At 800 yards, the .308 165 grain ballistic tip bullet i use drops 216 inches. Therefore, it would take 216 clicks up to be on target which i do not believe my scope can do.

Does anyone know what i should do to increase my MOA adjustments for up to 800 yard shots?

Re: I Need help with my new Nikon Monarch 6-24x50

There isn't anything you can do to increase the travel in the scope. You will need to get a rail with built in elevation. If your going out to 800 max a base with 20 moa should do it. Lots of good options out there badger, uso, leupold, nigtforce. Honestly for the price I think EGW is a great buy. Also I would double check but I do believe your scope isn't 1/8 MOA but 1/8 IPHY. In close not huge but at 800 and beyound it will matter.

Hello, Typically scopes with 1/8 inch adjustments are used for target/varmint and used on smaller caliber rifles and shorter distance than 800 yds. With using that scope with .308 i would suggest using a hold-over for 800 yards, but that can become problematic because you have to use an "imaginary point of aim". If you want to shoot out that far with the same style scope try: http://swfa.com/Nikon-6-24x50-Monarch-Riflescope-P42343.aspx this scope has a BDC (bullet drop compensator)

According to the Nikon website, your scope has 30 MOA of total adjustment. If you have a picatinny rail with 15MOA of cant made custom for you (order and 20MOA one and have a gunsmith modify it), you will have 30MOA of UP adjustment. jbmballistics.com shows you need 22.3MOA of UP adjustment for an 800 yard shot. So you COULD do it.

Picatinny rails usually come with 20MOA of cant (or zero). If you put a 20MOA one on, you will be able to go out to 800 yards (or even 1000 yards), but you wont be able to zero the scope at 100 yards. If you go full down, you will be some 5 inches high at 100 yards with no further adjustment available.

Also, for a long range scope, 1/8th clicks are not ideal.

You really need a scope with at least 50MOA of adjustment to shoot long range. That way, you can put a picatinny rail on it and have 45 of up (1/2 of 50 is 25, 25 plus 20 is 45). Thats how it works.

Sniperaviator has it right, you pretty much are under scoped for what you want to do.
If you can live with a 200 yard zero then get a 20 MOA base and go shoot, but I think you will be wanting a scope with a little more functionality for distance soon. IE: 1/4moa clicks or .1mrads.

Alright...good stuff guys.

From what i have heard so far, it looks like i really need to get a different scope without having to add additional components (rails) to shoot out to 800 yds. so that leads me to two other questions:

1) what is an effective range for the scope i currently have? From what i can observe it looks like 400-500 yds is max.

2) what scope would be recommended for shooting out to 800 yds?

There are many threads on here to help you pick a scope.

I would read trigger monkeys sticky at the top of the optics forum and create your list of what is important to you and then hit the search engine with your price point and see what comes up.

Currently your scope on that gun with those ballistics you are probably right about 4-500 yds being about it.

You are going to have to look for a scope with more internal travel- say a minimum of 45moa if you are going to stay with your existing base. That is still going to cut it close as not all travel is always available.

Hopefully some of the other guys will chime in with more experience than I have to help you with your particulars, but first get your list so you can ask the right questions and know what is important to you.

Ok thanks Plange.

@ sniperaviator you mentioned that the greatest MOA adjustment is 30...i assume that that would be further broken down to 15 MOA up and 15 MOA down. So given that, 8 clicks up equals 1 MOA. 8 x 15 = 120, so my scope should give me 120 clicks up correct?

lol sorry i am a noob at this
smile.gif