• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need new barrel for 223 Rem

cuirc

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 8, 2023
    Poughkeepsie n. y.
    The barrel on my 40-X in 223 Remington has a 1 in 14 twist it wont even shoot light bullets well so I need a new barrel. Can anyone recommend a quality barrel maker? Price while important is secondary to quality. I would order a 30" barrel to assure that all the powder is consumed and a 1 in 7 " twist to handle the heaviest bullets.

I think 30" is overkill, I believe the powder is burned in less than 21". The 40X should be trued and then your choice of barrels. You could do a barrel with a nut or get a barrel fitted by a smith. There are a number of great barrels out there (Bartlein, Krieger, HawkHill, Benchmark, ect), Pick your contour and go.

Unless you are trying to compete in F-T/R, I don't see a need for a barrel to be that long.

Any quality aftermarket barrel is going to do you well. Just find one in stock with your desired twist rate and contour, and get it spun up without hesitation.

@bohem Josh down at Patriot Valley Arms could easily put one of his barrels on there for you. They are right down in eastern PA also. I would go with a 26" barrel myself. Plenty long enough to get velocities with the heavier bullets but not overly long. As mentioned you can send in the barreled action to get trued and the barrel installed or do a Remage, which will require some more parts and tools. Which were you thinking?

ETA Here's a 5 shot group at 100 with 75 ELD-Ms in the .223 Wylde chambered barrel he did for me for my match rifle. I have shot this rifle to 1150 yards in matches.

IMG_2191(1).jpg

My 26" pva remage barrel. This is one of the rockcreek button rifled specials. I have a 28" criterion blank done by apache gun works that shoots just as well. Extra inches is extra FPS. Crown ridge barrel works has made me some good shooting barrels as well as has criterion.

Attachments

• 20240416_144613.jpg
      20240416_144613.jpg
      199.7 KB · Views: 36
    @bohem Josh down at Patriot Valley Arms could easily put one of his barrels on there for you. They are right down in eastern PA also. I would go with a 26" barrel myself. Plenty long enough to get velocities with the heavier bullets but not overly long. As mentioned you can send in the barreled action to get trued and the barrel installed or do a Remage, which will require some more parts and tools. Which were you thinking?

ETA Here's a 5 shot group at 100 with 75 ELD-Ms in the .223 Wylde chambered barrel he did for me for my match rifle. I have shot this rifle to 1150 yards in matches.

View attachment 8403105

You need one click right. Work on your breathing and those groups will tighten right up.

P

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot and bohem

View attachment 8403105
    Just spoke with Ben, thanks for the tip on PVA. 1150 from a 223, thats impressive. With that quality I'd guess a mile with a 6.5 CM is doable.

Reactions: Rob01
    Just spoke with Ben, thanks for the tip on PVA. 1150 from a 223, thats impressive. With that quality I'd guess a mile with a 6.5 CM is doable.
    Are you looking at 223 or 6.5cm?

Are you looking at 223 or 6.5cm?
    Probably do the 223 first then a 308 switched to 6.5. Both have factory Remington stainless barrels that shoot well but not great.

Funny you mention that but I have shot the Mile at Coleman’s Creek with my PVA barreled 6.5 Creedmoor and factory Hornady 140 ELDs. Wind is very tricky doing it though.

Reactions: Maggot