• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes I need opinions/thoughts

JR869

Private
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2017
I purchases an Athlon Cronus BTR, as soon as I received it I inspected it and it looked great however, when I illuminated the reticle at a low setting I noticed that there were "hash" marks on all of the 2's which was weird. As I increase the brightness the "hash" marks became even more apparent. Now, granted I will never use the illumination much above the lowest setting however, those
"hash" marks look like the glass wasn't etched properly and is distracting. I wanted to get some opinions as I've never seen this issue on any other scope that I've owned.
Here are a few photos of what I'm talking about. One is at a lower illumination setting and the other is near full illumination.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo64462.jpg
    photo64462.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 9
  • photo64463.jpg
    photo64463.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 9
Bro. You can't see the "2" at night. The numbers are not illuminated. You will see the dot though...

Recommend calling 1-855-913-5678 - Athlon Optics.

I did and I sent the scope back the day after I received it. I was told that it's fine and passes their QC. I sent them the photos and they said they went through the a case of them and they are all the same, at least I assume he was talking about the 2's. IMO, the etching is not correct.

delfuego, what do you mean you can't see the 2's at night? If it's Illuminated you don't see what you see in the photos including the three prominent hash marks as I call them. Again, I don't shoot much at low light but I also don't want to spend $1600 plus on a scope that, I think has an issue. I haven't seen any other illuminated reticles that do this.

I think what they mean is that in a real life situation where you might need illumination, it'll be on so low (so as not to wash out the picture) that the illumination that is bleeding on the numbers won't matter because it'll probably be invisible.

I think what they mean is that in a real life situation where you might need illumination, it'll be on so low (so as not to wash out the picture) that the illumination that is bleeding on the numbers won't matter because it'll probably be invisible.

Gotcha.

Still, I don't think it should look like that.

I should take a look at my scopes with illumination on blast like that. From what I recall, every one I've owned acted similarly. My guess is with S&B, NF, etc... but have to look to verify.

Point being, I don't think it matters.

I should take a look at my scopes with illumination on blast like that. From what I recall, every one I've owned acted similarly. My guess is with S&B, NF, etc... but have to look to verify.

Point being, I don't think it matters.

Well, I don't illuminate full blast so no, the blooming doesn't matter much to me, what does though is the three etch marks on the 2's that I can see at low to medium illumination and it's distracting. The last thing I want on my scope is to see something distracting and out of the ordinary.

Just to compare, take a look at the photo from Jade Precision. It's the Cronus BTR with the older reticle and what looks like full illumination. As you can see, the numbers aren't showing ANY blooming at all. To me, this is how it should look.

Attachments

• photo63753.jpg
    photo63753.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 7
Just pulled out a half dozen scopes from my safe out of curiosity.

It appears any scope that I own that only partially illuminates the reticle has the same blooming of which you speak with exception to my Minox 5-25. That part was surprising. But the rest, bloom when not on lowest settings.

Now my scopes that have fully illuminated reticles, those don't bloom simply because all of it is lit.

My suggestion is, if you don't like it, you think its distracting, and the manufacturer told you go pound sand, sell it, and buy something where the full reticle is illuminated. (Which ironically, will probably be more distracting in a real life situation where you use illumination than the blooming artifacts)

Just pulled out a half dozen scopes from my safe out of curiosity.

It appears any scope that I own that only partially illuminates the reticle has the same blooming of which you speak with exception to my Minox 5-25. That part was surprising. But the rest, bloom when not on lowest settings.

Now my scopes that have fully illuminated reticles, those don't bloom simply because all of it is lit.

My suggestion is, if you don't like it, you think its distracting, and the manufacturer told you go pound sand, sell it, and buy something where the full reticle is illuminated. (Which ironically, will probably be more distracting in a real life situation where you use illumination than the blooming artifacts)

Thanks for checking! The blooming isn't much of an issue, it's just those three stray etchings on the 2's. Athlon didn't tell me to pound sand, they're communication had been excellent. They did say that they checked a case of Cronus BTR's and they all have that. It's not clear to me yet, if he was talking about blooming or the stray etchings on the 2's. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow.

If not, then a ZP5 might be in my near future.

Last edited:
I get those etchings on some numbers on different scopes as well. It's likely normal. Enjoy your fine scope. :)

Now onto more important things, like whether the optics are made of schott glass... BEETLE JUICE BETTLE JUICE BETTLE PHILLIP!

I get those etchings on some numbers on different scopes as well. It's likely normal. Enjoy your fine scope. :)

Now onto more important things, like whether the optics are made of schott glass... BEETLE JUICE BETTLE JUICE BETTLE PHILLIP!

HAHA nope.

Thanks for checking! The blooming isn't much of an issue, it's just those three stray etchings on the 2's. Athlon didn't tell me to pound sand, they're communication had been excellent. They did say that they checked a case of Cronus BTR's and they all have that. It's not clear to me yet, if he was talking about blooming or the stray etchings on the 2's. Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow.

If not, then a ZP5 might be in my near future.
No scope design is perfect. If you have buyers remorse then just come out and say it. You scope is fine. The "stray etchings" are by design. If you buy a Minox, I sure you will find something wrong with it too. Shit or get off the pot.

No scope design is perfect. If you have buyers remorse then just come out and say it. You scope is fine. The "stray etchings" are by design. If you buy a Minox, I sure you will find something wrong with it too. Shit or get off the pot.

Well, if you have that thought process with everything you buy, your life must suck and that's your problem for accepting mediocrity.

You know my mama always said that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it. So your comment is pointless and to take the time to write that is a waste of your time and mine.

It's probably just some of the coating for the illumination mask bled over or something. It won't effect function and with it off you'll never notice it, I can understand though why it may drive you a little crazy but consider your options:

1. Accept the fact that you got a dependable optic with great feature set for a great value, and it's a quirk that you could accept. Also the fact that you'll almost never use illumination.

2. Return it for a refund, or sell it and pony up possible another $1K or more for a scope with similar features but more refinements.

I'm pretty picky and that would not bother me on that scope. If it bothers you that's your personal feelings and there's nothing wrong with it bothering you, but you still have one of the two choices above. If you want flawless, then you'll pay for flawless. The good news is that there's some good deals to be had on flawless right now.

You are definitely not crazy. I see it too and it doesn't seem right.

You know what is funny, I've posted those photos on other posts asking the same question and guess what, NOT one reply, so thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

It's probably just some of the coating for the illumination mask bled over or something. It won't effect function and with it off you'll never notice it, I can understand though why it may drive you a little crazy but consider your options:

1. Accept the fact that you got a dependable optic with great feature set for a great value, and it's a quirk that you could accept. Also the fact that you'll almost never use illumination.

2. Return it for a refund, or sell it and pony up possible another $1K or more for a scope with similar features but more refinements.

I'm pretty picky and that would not bother me on that scope. If it bothers you that's your personal feelings and there's nothing wrong with it bothering you, but you still have one of the two choices above. If you want flawless, then you'll pay for flawless. The good news is that there's some good deals to be had on flawless right now.

I agree, I won't notice it if I don't illuminate the reticle. I'm torn because in one hand, I think the glass and reticle are darn good, but on the other, it's difficult to spend that amount of cash for something that shouldn't be that way and isn't that way on cheaper alternatives however, I get it, better glass.

I did talk with Athlon, they said all of the Cronus BTR's that they have in stock have some variation of what I have. They offered to send me anther or a non-BTR Cronus which I believe has the older style reticle but doesn't have that anomaly. I haven't decided yet.

It's all of the 2's... wonder if anyone else's is like this?

I don't know as no one else with a Cronus BTR has responded. Athlon says the ones they have in stock all have a variation of that. I wonder if it's just a bad batch, so I'd like to hear from other Cronus BTR owners.

If it isn't by design, that is an issue. Unless they come out and say it is by design or not, little one can do. If they do come out and say it is by design, you are left with the same two options you currently have: If you don't like it, sell it. If you can live with it, run it hard.

To me, I think a hash mark for the number 2 is perfect. lol you don't need to see the number in the low light situation, you just need a reference point which it provides whether intentionally or not. It might not look pretty or right, but it is effective.

If it isn't by design, that is an issue. Unless they come out and say it is by design or not, little one can do. If they do come out and say it is by design, you are left with the same two options you currently have: If you don't like it, sell it. If you can live with it, run it hard.

To me, I think a hash mark for the number 2 is perfect. lol you don't need to see the number in the low light situation, you just need a reference point which it provides whether intentionally or not. It might not look pretty or right, but it is effective.

They haven't said it's by design or not, only that it passes QC. Let me just say again, that the communication with Athlon has been great. In our conversations though, there hasn't been, "I see what you're seeing, or it is/isn't supposed to be like that. So, I guess I wish that they were more clear about it. What I can say is that the Gen1 Cronus with the older reticle didn't have that issue with the numbers while illuminated. So what does that tell you.

Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them. With delfuego it had been all three.

That is Shakespeare or Heller. I can't remember.

The bloom is over illumination. Turn down the brightness. The only problem is it was designed to go up too high for you.

Yeah turn it down a little . Honestly , I expect scopes in this price range to have
some minor flaws . If it was a March , Schmidt or T T I'd be pissed and return it .

I don't know as no one else with a Cronus BTR has responded. Athlon says the ones they have in stock all have a variation of that. I wonder if it's just a bad batch, so I'd like to hear from other Cronus BTR owners.

Pic 1 : Cronus BTR on max power....bloom, surprise.

Pic 2 : Cronus dialed down to a usable level

Pic 3 : Vortex AMG on higher power....numbers lit ....yay.

No numbers illuminated on the Cronus. Not a big deal to me. Just because not illuminated doesn't mean know I don't know where they are or what they represent....reticle still very usable in low light. You also were unhappy with blooming early on in your complaints spread across many diff threads....as others have said, turn it down...easy fix....they all do it. The AMG was purchased new, on a Ruger RPR 6.5CM for 423 rounds. Rifle is getting rebarreled so scope sitting in safe. I have all original packaging and paperwork for the AMG. If you'd like, send me your Cronus BTR and $1200 and I'll send you the AMG and new ADM mount ($230 new) it's sitting in. Not a tongue in cheek offer....if you'd like to swap, I'm down.

The bloom is over illumination. Turn down the brightness. The only problem is it was designed to go up too high for you.

I think that everyone that is commenting on the bloom and that I turn it down is missing the point. I don't care about the bloom as I'll NEVER have it up that high. I am pointing out that even on low to mid illuminating the etching around 2's is evident and is a manufacturing issue. Some are saying turn it down and deal with it as it's only a $1600 optic, or if you want a perfect scope you have to spend $4k. Well, I'll tell you that a $800 Bushnell doesn't have any issues like a bad etching on the reticle, nor does Steiners or lower tier Vortex scopes. I can go on and on.
Sorry, for those that can spend $4k on an optic, that is fantastic but I don't and won't. But what I do expect is that for a mid-tier scope, it should be free of any manufacturing issues.

Pic 1 : Cronus BTR on max power....bloom, surprise.

Pic 2 : Cronus dialed down to a usable level

Pic 3 : Vortex AMG on higher power....numbers lit ....yay.

No numbers illuminated on the Cronus. Not a big deal to me. Just because not illuminated doesn't mean know I don't know where they are or what they represent....reticle still very usable in low light. You also were unhappy with blooming early on in your complaints spread across many diff threads....as others have said, turn it down...easy fix....they all do it. The AMG was purchased new, on a Ruger RPR 6.5CM for 423 rounds. Rifle is getting rebarreled so scope sitting in safe. I have all original packaging and paperwork for the AMG. If you'd like, send me your Cronus BTR and $1200 and I'll send you the AMG and new ADM mount ($230 new) it's sitting in. Not a tongue in cheek offer....if you'd like to swap, I'm down.

Looks like your Cronus does the same. Again...this is exhausting, I don't care about the bloom, it will bloom on high, I know that. My comments on the blooming was just the blooming of the etch marks on the 2's, that is all. Is it usable, of course. Again, just pointing out what you see on the Cronus is not the way it should be. Thanks for the photos.

Athlon is sending me a new BTR. Thanks for the offer but I'll pass for now.

You're really making a big deal over a non issue. The marks you're speaking of are on the numbers, not on hold points effecting function or otherwise really anywhere that will effect anything. They are also extremely superficial. If you were actually using the optic it's something that you wouldn't even notice because you'd be concentrating on making a hit and not something that makes no difference.

You have a good optic with an imperfection that effects nothing but your brain and you're obviously allowing this to bother you and such little things are not worth it. Since it obviously seems like this is something you just cannot live with ask to return it for your money back and buy something else. This is what returns are for, because you're not satisfied with your purchase. Continueing to complain about something that you can either live with or send back is pointless.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but it's the reality of the situation. Another reality is that anything can have flaws and could be improved, as well anything can fail. Generally the less something costs the more shortcomings it will have.

You're really making a big deal over a non issue. The marks you're speaking of are on the numbers, not on hold points effecting function or otherwise really anywhere that will effect anything. They are also extremely superficial. If you were actually using the optic it's something that you wouldn't even notice because you'd be concentrating on making a hit and not something that makes no difference.

You have a good optic with an imperfection that effects nothing but your brain and you're obviously allowing this to bother you and such little things are not worth it. Since it obviously seems like this is something you just cannot live with ask to return it for your money back and buy something else. This is what returns are for, because you're not satisfied with your purchase. Continueing to complain about something that you can either live with or send back is pointless.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but it's the reality of the situation. Another reality is that anything can have flaws and could be improved, as well anything can fail. Generally the less something costs the more shortcomings it will have.

You know, I not making a big deal and IMO it's not "nothing" but your opinion is that it's nothing. I started this thread to ask others what they thought, many said it's not right and those "hash" marks on the 2's shouldn't look like that. Many have said, that it's not right but either live with it or sell it.

I'm not asking anyone what I should do, I'm asking for the opinion on the etching and most can't understand that is ALL I am asking about. I'll decide what I do with the scope when I get a new one from Athlon.

It's my fault for continuing to respond to people that say I'm complaining about this, when I'm not complaining. So I think I am done with this thread and for those that responded to my initial question, thank you.

Peace

Well, I'll tell you that a $800 Bushnell doesn't have any issues like a bad etching on the reticle

I'll tell you that my brand new LRTSi 4.5-18 sure as shit does. First thing I did when I got it was turn on the illumination and I was concerned for, oh, about half a second and then I realized I spent less than 1k on it with the rebate. Its not a manufacturing defect, its just not a manufacturing consideration, its a symptom of having a budget optic. If you want them to care about the etching paths that carefully youre going to have to pay them more to do so. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I'm a Athlon fanboy and I admit that your illume isn't quite right. My new Cronus BTR is somewhat similar but not as much. I do hope you get one back that is 100%!

I think I'll keep mine for now, if I'm bothered with it later I'll send it back but turned down it's off sided blooming is not noticeable.

I'm a Athlon fanboy and I admit that your illume isn't quite right. My new Cronus BTR is somewhat similar but not as much. I do hope you get one back that is 100%!

I think I'll keep mine for now, if I'm bothered with it later I'll send it back but turned down it's off sided blooming is not noticeable.

Yeah, once I get a new one back we'll see. I'm not worried about the blooming at high illum., so I might just not use the illumination at all or only on 1 or 2 where you can't really see the issue.

They are just going to send you one with a half dead battery and you will be jumping up and down with joy :) Better check that first thing right off.