• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision I need some advice guys. NOX18 or SkeetIR-L

ST42

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2007
WA
Gents,
I presently have the good fortune to own a NOX 18 and a SkeetIR-L. I’m getting a bit long in the tooth and to me the images are really close to my eyes. I have the chance at a second SkeetIR-L. The Skeet is Soooo seductive to me, and the thought of dual HMT’s is really driving this conundrum. I have Not been able to use either the NOX or the Skeet for hunting yet. My hunting is all predator hunting. So….For those that have used these two, would you sell the NOX and go dual Skeets, or forgo the dual HMT’s? Hunting mainly out west, so wide open country. Hay fields and occasional sage. Will I be selling myself short by moving the NOX? Anyway, if you have the time, please let me know your thoughts. I should add that I’m running dual MUM-14’s for my NODs and pairing up just one Skeet with them is Very nice!

Thanks

I don't see the point of dual thermals. Dual I2 makes sense, because the added depth perception mitigates the Mr. Magoo effect of a monocular enough to be able to do things like drive comfortably at highway speeds. I2 + thermal makes some sense as a type of quasi-fusion, though actual fusion provides a more useful image. But even the best thermals have very limited field of view and a very limited ability to consistently show terrain, so moving with them is more of a stunt than a practical application. You can see depth with dual thermals - sort of - but you can't move safely and can't aim, so there is no clear advantage of dual HMTs over a single device.

I've had both and yes, the images are close. Did a review on here side by side with both in Nov 2020. But you already have both.
I sold the Skeet-320 because it has no factory support and I wanted that. I'm on track to get 2 Nox(es) ((to replace IR-Patrol and Skeet 320 I sold last year. Note Skeet 320 is what I call Skeet-L - for clarity. Skeet-L = Skeet "legacy" i.e. the 320 unit).

That said, I don't run dual thermals either. I think having at least one 14 up there is essential to see lasers and other vis/ir light. I just want two because 2 is 1 :)

==
Here's the Nox vs Skeet vs Patrol review

Last edited:
Thanks gentlemen. My thought was to use my bridged MUM’s for maneuvering and the switching to the bridged Skeets for the calling set up. Hoping that dual HMT’s would be an advantage over using just the single NOX. I plan on using the Super Yoter Clip-on for my rifle. In the past, I used I2 for night hunting, but I really want into the thermal arena after hunting with a buddy and using his Pulsar.

Dual thermals doesn't bring enough to the table to be worth the cost unless uncle Horta is buying. It's a little easier on the eyes and navigating is more doable but it's a lot of money for a marginal improvement and you lose the use of ir tools.

You'll enjoy the yoter. It's a beast for what it costs.

• Haha
Reactions: WhereNow&How
Well, that is 3 against the idea. Sounds like I know which way to go. Thanks all.

Dual thermals doesn't bring enough to the table to be worth the cost unless uncle Horta is buying. It's a little easier on the eyes and navigating is more doable but it's a lot of money for a marginal improvement and you lose the use of ir tools.
Can't remember if Uncle Horta was wearing a dual thermal setup or not when he went off in the ditch.

I have 2 nox, i need to find a way to flip the other unit, just busy moving. I had a bad time figuring out how to overlay the images without distortion. So far if i splay them with a panobridge, i get a wide af field of view, but no overlay. It works for walking, i have not tried it driving. Once i give it more time, i will post back on my thread. Might get a different adapter from the pano bridge guys and try that out. But they are pretty busy.