• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need some chronograph recommendations please!

Black-X

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2006
Kentucky
I'm thinking either the Shooting Chrony F1 or maybe a CED M2. $200 is my limit so the M2 is right there at the limit. Anybody have a link to the place with the best price on one of the M2's by any chance?

Any other recommendations? Gotta get this puppy ordered up this week.

Thanks!

-X

Re: I need some chronograph recommendations please!

Everyone is leaning to the CED lately. Its right at that limit of how much money i want to spend on a potential target, so sounds like a bargain.

Two ways to go here.

You can go cheap or dear. If you go dear, the CED is supposed to be very good.

If you go cheap, go mighty cheap and get the Crony Alpha. If you can read the screen and write the info down, you can do the math yourself, and any other features are superfluous. The advantage to doing the math yourself is that it more quickly teaches a proper insight into the relationships between the numbers and actual projectile performance.

I got the Chrony Beta, and would get the Alpha if I had it to do again. Rather than extoll the reasoning, I'l just say that mine no longer works, and honestly; I don't miss it as much as I expected to. You will find your own reasons for needing or not needing a chrono; and I just hope you don't end up getting married to the numbers, and can manage to cut through to the core simplicity of the process.

Finding that simplicity was my goal, and it's turned out to be a good one, for me at least.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Two ways to go here.

You can go cheap or dear. If you go dear, the CED is supposed to be very good.

If you go cheap, go mighty cheap and get the Crony Alpha. If you can read the screen and write the info down, you can do the math yourself, and any other features are superfluous. The advantage to doing the math yourself is that it more quickly teaches a proper insight into the relationships between the numbers and actual projectile performance.

I got the Chrony Beta, and would get the Alpha if I had it to do again. Rather than extoll the reasoning, I'l just say that mine no longer works, and honestly; I don't miss it as much as I expected to. You will find your own reasons for needing or not needing a chrono; and I just hope you don;t end up getting married to the numbers, and can manage to cut through to the core simplicity of the process.

Finding that simplicity was my goal, and it's turned out to be a good one, for me at least.

Greg </div></div>

Greg, thanks for the excellent post. My father and I only want a chrono to see what type of velocity our reloads are running. As far as the other stuff goes, well, we're just not <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> worried about SD, ES, etc at this time. I'll take a look at that Alpha chrono and that just might be the way we go.

Thanks!

-X

How's the Shooting Chrony F-1 Master? It comes with a screen separate from the chrony, attached by an 18' cord.

-X

Get the CED. Several threads on this. Mine works in poor light without the infrared 100%. Expect to pay $200 plus shipping - just bite the bullet and get it.

I have had CED for years and it has preformed without any problems and as NineHotel said the standard screens provided excellent service when other units on the line had problems with low light. If you ever get a chance to get IR screens they make the unit even better. RSI software is a great place to buy from because of there excellent support after the sale www.shootingsoftware.com/chronographs.htm I loaned my unit to a friend who messed up the IR lead wire, RSI had a spare one on the shelf and sent it no charge.

Ah! I thought I had it figured out with just a simple Shooting Chrony and now you all are making me rethink the CED.

-X

I also went with the CED M2. It works great. There is a HUGE jump in quality and features from the basic chronos to the M2. The M2 picks up bullets very well, and I rarely get errors. If you shoot in low light or at night, get the infrared screens. They work very well. I shoot first thing in the morning when the sun isn't up yet, and the IR screens work great. When the sun gets up, I have to unplug the IR screens so they don't interfer with the sun light.

Ok, here's how I plan to use the chono that I purchase:

-Check velocity of .223/5.56, .308, .300WM, 9mm, and subsonic .308
-Will do so only in daytime, outside
-Might check SD and ES a couple times, doubtful any more than that
-Mostly won't be used, just for checking new loads for velocity 99% of the time
-Have a feeling the chrono will sit on the shelf a lot of the time

So given my planned use, what would make the most sense? I'm leaning towards a cheaper ShootingChrony Master because of my intended use..

-X

Black-X, I fought with a budget chrono for years. When I could get it to record shots, I still had doubts about its readings.

My time and frustration saved is well worth the premium for the CED. This is not an area to skimp. While I know some have good results with the budget units, there are many stories of frustration and questionable readings out there.

One thing - setup is crucial with all of them. Put a target up, use a rest, be very picky about lining all three up with the bullet passing 3-5" over the sensor perfectly centered left and right with the screens parallel to the line of fire and level with the flight of the bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Black-X, I fought with a budget chrono for years. When I could get it to record shots, I still had doubts about its readings.

My time and frustration saved is well worth the premium for the CED. This is not an area to skimp. While I know some have good results with the budget units, there are many stories of frustration and questionable readings out there.</div></div>
Best advice in this thread!!

I have my old Shooting Chrony F1 I'll sell you for $50, if you're interested. It works fine. These models are more sensitive to the lighting and position of the sun. But they do work, and give fairly accurate readings.

+1 on the M2. I also had a cheap chrono to start with. Just a pain, often had errors and did not record shots. Velocity results were questionable. I got an M2 about a year ago and it was a major improvement. Now I never get errors unless I do something stupid and the velocity results are very consistent.

+1 I bought a CED M2. pretty nice considering what the other options are. If I could spend 400 dollars and get something even nicer i would, but this is basically top of the market and its only 200 bux. I think its a pretty good deal. you should be pretty happy with it. Its really frusterating dealing with junk that gives you bad data. that just wastes money in ammyo and reloading components. get what works.

CJG

If your limit is $200 then get the CED.

But if you are serious about getting a top of the line great chrony then the PVM-21 is the best you will find.

I went from a Oehler 35P to the PVM and I will never look back.

Also Impact Data Books has some great load development pages and chrono velocity collection sheets to help maintain your data.

Another +1 on the CED M2. I haven't had any problems with mine.