• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need some direction

cardboardkiller

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2004
FL
I’m kicking around building a 12.5” 6.5 Grendel pistol in a chassis. I will probably SBR it to take advantage of better stock options. I’m left handed though.

Are there any good options for an action, chassis and mags? Anyone you’d turn to to get the job done right?

I’m looking for a 400 yard and in deer killer and I’ll be throwing a TBAC Ultra 9 6.5 on it. I’d like to keep the weight down, but I realize there may not be any truly lightweight options for a Grendel.

I don’t want to go too light of course, but I’d like to keep it under 10 pounds without the can using a mid power scope. I’d defer to the gunsmith for barrel contour as long as it ends up with enough shoulder to mount a TBAC CB, which I don’t see being an issue.

I’m stuck in Doha for work with way to much free time on my hands and start thinking of stupid shit that I want. I bought a 13” DSA OSW SBR last time I was home and SS has cost me 2 Turbo K’s and a Radiant all bought while I’m overseas.

Thanks

Action: Zermat Origin and the ARC Nucleus both have the appropriate bolt face available
Chassis: Pork Sword or any chassis that can accept a brace (XLR, MDT, etc.)
Mags: I wanna say MDT or Accurate Mag makes the proper size

For a cheaper alternative, the Howa 1500 mini comes in a 6.5G chambering.

I will ask why limit yourself to the Grendel when you could gain additional performance with a 6.5 CM? Would really open up your options of action choices if the Bighorn aint for you.

Action: Zermat Origin and the ARC Nucleus both have the appropriate bolt face available
Chassis: Pork Sword or any chassis that can accept a brace (XLR, MDT, etc.)
Mags: I wanna say MDT or Accurate Mag makes the proper size

For a cheaper alternative, the Howa 1500 mini comes in a 6.5G chambering.

I will ask why limit yourself to the Grendel when you could gain additional performance with a 6.5 CM? Would really open up your options of action choices if the Bighorn aint for you.

I have a 22” 6.5 CM Proof, Manners, Defiance build by LRI. I haven’t seen anything about the CM in a 12.5” barrel where the Grendel is a known performer in shorter barrels.

I’d like something on the edge of absurdly compact.

Howa sadly doesn’t make a left hand model. I’ll have to check Zermatt and ARC to see what the options are.

Last edited:
I guess I would see the CM simply having more case capacity. As far as efficiency, I can see the Grendel being the viable option.

I think as long as you loaded your ammo specifically for the gun, you could mitigate that.

@Zermatt Arms I see yall list the Valkyrie and the Grendel bolt head as one in the same but that you dont list the actual diameter like the other options... but the valkyrie/spc is a .422 and the ppc/grendel is a .445 bolt face, how does that jive? Do you ask to "specify caliber" because thats actually 2 options grouped in the same category or do you feel that running the valk in the larger bolt face diameter has no ill effects?
1583786110437.png

@karagias do you have a provision for the grendel or is it just not supported?
1583786343939.png

(personally as the guy who wanted a short bolt grendel Im glad I didnt as it seems everything since has avaliability and compatibility issues. Like the howa mini being one of the few grendel bolt offereings but seemingly plagued with shit magazine options from what little Ive read recently. Glad I did blackout instead even with its anemic power, its an easy swap for anything.

Why not get something like a T/C Encore pistol in 7.62x39?

I think 7.62x39 is mostly let down by the SKS and AKs that shoot it along with the generally poor consistency of cheap ammo.

I think the Encore can be made just about as accurate as you want if you build it right.

It's also easy to add a stock when you SBR it, more ergonomic for pistol shooting (without a brace) than any chassis out there and you could make better subsonic ammo than 6.5 Grendle.

I think 7.62x39 is mostly let down by the SKS and AKs that shoot it along with the generally poor consistency of cheap ammo.

I think the Encore can be made just about as accurate as you want if you build it right.

It's also easy to add a stock when you SBR it, more ergonomic for pistol shooting (without a brace) than any chassis out there and you could make better subsonic ammo than 6.5 Grendle.

Maybe, but there aren’t as many (or any) real match ammo or even high quality hunting rounds available on the shelf. When I’m hunting 1,500 miles away from home, having the option to buy or order ammo is necessary.

The Encores are fiddly. I don’t want to deal with forearm hangers, action pins and whatnot. I have an Encore muzzleloader and it shoots well, but was more than a pain to tune.

I’m not looking for subsonics.

I still don’t want a single shot. It is absolutely useless for the hunting and culling I do in Kansas. Definitely useless for smacking hogs in Florida. When the landowner says, “Kill them all” and hands you an envelope full of tags, an Encore isn’t what you want in the truck.

If you can’t tell, I’m not buying an Encore or a 7.62X39. Neither is what I’m looking for.

Last edited:
I’ve knocked 4 deer down at one whack in KS in a mad rush with my 308 TRG and can. Three is the norm for me in those situations. I don’t do any better with my 10.5” LWRC 6.8 and can.

I wish I had the pic, but 4 of us knocked 14 deer down out of the herd of about 30 in under a minute.

This isn’t germane to my original conundrum of figuring out a shorty Grendel.