• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

i need some help guys.

shootindude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
in the back country of Oregon
So excuse my ignorance guys but i need some help. I was told a 1-8 twist was slower than a 1-11 so i could run heavies out of my 300wsm. I loaded up on 210s and 208s. They havent shot like i was hoping, they do shoot 1/2 moa at 100 but drift a bit at 500. I actually thought about it for a fewe minutes tonight and thought to myself, wait a minute 1-8 is faster than a 1-11 and my bergers say they are best in a 1-11 for the 210s. With my 1-8 twist being 28" long is there a weight you guys could recommend?

Re: i need some help guys.

8 twist is faster than 11 twist. In fact, for a 30 cal, even a magnum, 8 twist is very fast and will stabilize bullet weights past 250 grains. The 210 and 208s should be fine.

ok so im sitting here thinking again and i think i was originally correct in my thoughts. Wow i think i need some sleep. I keep over thinking the damn thing to much. heavier bullets need faster twist? and lighter needs slower? i guess

generally speaking... YES, heavier bullets need a faster twist...

but it's actually about bullet length, longer bullets need a faster twist...

you said you're getting 1/2 MOA at 100yds, but they "drift a bit at 500"... what exactly do you mean by drift?

its shooting about 2 moa at 500. the groups are basically falling apart at 500 and beyond. Ok so here is another question. The rifle was built prior to me getting it. Im not sure that the previous owner quite knew what he was doing with the loads. How can i figure out the COAL to run on the rounds i load? I was told by someone at work load a dummy round and barely seat the bullet, then cycle into the chamber, measure and take off .05"-.15" for cartridge length. Anyone have a better idea? sounds kind of weird to me.

Sounds to me like your rifle is grouping just fine at 500. If I understand what you're saying. At 100yds 1/2moa is a 1/2" group; at 200yds that group would be a 1" group
300yds...1.5" group
400yds...2" group
500yds...2.5" group ect.

So if you're saying you are shooting 2" groups at 500 it looks like your rifle is actually shooting tighter groups at 500 than at 100.

He said he was getting a 2moa group, not 2". Two inches would be a very nice group at 500.

shootindude, is wind a factor here?

Gotcha, I re-read it and yeah I had read it wrong. 2moa at 500yds is a 10" group... that's spreading out a bit. I retract my previous .02

Is your load a proven load? Some loads will group real well in close, but fall apart at distance. At least this is what I've found.