• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear I need the gadgets!

Texas Knight

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2022
Texas
Hey y'all,

I'm starting to get into long range shooting and realizing there are more tools needed for this trade than any. I'm used to eotechs and lasers with the farthest shot is 50 yards not 1000 :ROFLMAO:. I'm about to get a 6.5 cm built by Alamo Precision, but in the mean time while it gets built I will try to gather more gear to make me worth a damn with that rifle. From my understanding I need a solid range finder, wind meter and some good math skills.

The range finder I have been looking into is the Sig Sauer Kilo 5k and a Kestrel Elite 5700 elite wind meter.

What do y'all think, I'm open to all suggestions and sorry if this is the wrong thread to start because Im sure there are similar ones out there.

Thanks for the help!

Get a good ballistics calculator for your phone, etc. I like Strelok Pro but there are several good ones out there.

Kestrel makes good stuff but I have no experience with the Sig.

What kind of long range, known distance from a bench, unknown in the field?

Is your rifle being built to compete? Should it be in case you want to?

Find a PRS match, watch and ask questions. If that is not what you want try F-Class. But find people doing it.

Save yourself time, money, and frustration and get to a 2-3 day training class. The cost of training is really nothing compared to the cost of ammo and the time you will save getting hits on targets. I went to a CR2 class last year and the instruction was invaluable, they diagnosed what it was doing wrong in minutes and my shooting improved. Additionally, going to a class you will see all sorts of different gear and have the chance to talk to folks about what works. Also if you don’t own or have experience with a kestrel the CR2 guys provide that and you build your gun profile as part of the class. After the class is complete just download the kestrel App and save your gun profile.

Congrats on the APR rifle, my buddy has a couple of rifles from them and they all shoot!

Unknown in a fi
What kind of long range, known distance from a bench, unknown in the field?

Is your rifle being built to compete? Should it be in case you want to?

Find a PRS match, watch and ask questions. If that is not what you want try F-Class. But find people doing it.
Unknown in a field preferably.

Building it to be a long range gun that could compete if I got to that point, getting an APR Adjustable Ranger with a 4-32x NX8.

I'll have to check out the matches, they do seem like a good time. I really havent looked into them.

Save yourself time, money, and frustration and get to a 2-3 day training class. The cost of training is really nothing compared to the cost of ammo and the time you will save getting hits on targets. I went to a CR2 class last year and the instruction was invaluable, they diagnosed what it was doing wrong in minutes and my shooting improved. Additionally, going to a class you will see all sorts of different gear and have the chance to talk to folks about what works. Also if you don’t own or have experience with a kestrel the CR2 guys provide that and you build your gun profile as part of the class. After the class is complete just download the kestrel App and save your gun profile.

Congrats on the APR rifle, my buddy has a couple of rifles from them and they all shoot!
I plan on taking some courses at Rifles Only, their range is about 20 minutes from my house. I'm just trying to get all the gear so I can go to the class and learn how to use the equipment properly and efficiently.

Everyone has piles of gear they don't use anymore. People like to let you try out their stuff. Buying before you try it and like it is often a waste. Go slow, learn you need it and why. Until you have a problem, hold off.

If you've never shot further than 50 yds...LRF and wind meters arent going to do dick for you...

Buy yourself some decent glass, a bunch of ammo.....and get some trigger time in at 1-400 yds.

Honestly, in the begining it's going to be rare that you are shooting at unknown distances....so hold off on the LRF

Regarding wind calls, at "close range"...learn how to make wind calls without a kestrel...

Get yourself to where you can consistently shoot 1moa groups out to 3-400 yds

Essentially, learn how to shoot before you start tacking on a whole bunch of shit.

Frankly, ide do that before you attend a class....your money is going to go a lot farther in the class if you show up already knowing the basics
Understood, thanks for the advice. I think my biggest misunderstanding is that I need a range finder and wind meter to start, but that dosn't seem to be the case. I will get to practicing when the rifle is finished and will take it slow.

Thank you Sir!

You might want to get a bolt 22lr and play out to 500yds. You can learn a lot at 10-20 cents a shot. Google rimfire PRS.

Unknown in a fi

Unknown in a field preferably.

Building it to be a long range gun that could compete if I got to that point, getting an APR Adjustable Ranger with a 4-32x NX8.

I'll have to check out the matches, they do seem like a good time. I really havent looked into them.
Skip the nx8 4x32 its a turd.
Mark 5 same money or an atacr , razor gen ll
Something besides 4x32. 2.5 x20 nx8 is way better scope than the 4x 32

I know people above have said differently, but I shoot/hunt on private land lots and I use my LRF a ton. I use it to set up my steel targets and range hogs. You can go without a kestrel, but if you don't know the distance 🤷‍♂️. But if you have a way to set known distances LRF is really not necessary to start.

Make sure and buy good ammo for your gun and either buy plenty or you have access to a supply. It's impossible to work on your skills when you can't tell if your problems are you or your system.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Nice scope , crumby scope, Muzzle velocity data remains critically important for shooting at various distances, even relatively short 400 meters or so....Magneto-Speed or LabRadar........at $1.50 - 2.25 / round, accurate velocity information input for the Strelok or Applied Ballistics calculations is $$ well spent. Accurate distance input is just as important to the calculators. A lot of moving parts to deal with when starting out, then there is the individual manipulating the trigger pull, that's range time / school time.