• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing I need to add weight to hollow butt-stock

Biscuit

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2010
Norther Cal
Rem 742 carbine, balance is off since swapping synthetic furniture on there for the wood, weight is too forward. Butt has hollow cavity. What would be best way to add some weight in there in increments until balance feels right?

Re: I need to add weight to hollow butt-stock

I've used crushed walnut shells or other tumbling media in a ziploc bag. By doing so I could adjust the amount and still easily remove them. You can try something similar.

Bunch of ways to skin this cat. One method is to take a ziploc bag, weigh X number of ounces of shot or other weight bearing media into it, install it and see how it feels. Keep playing with it until you get the weight right. While 'installing' it to check, be sure and stuff something in it like a rag or whatever to keep the bag of shot stable and not flip flopping around inside the stock.
Once you get the weight figured out and are happy with it, get some spray foam insulation in the can at your hardware store and use the nozzle to put some in the stock while it's laying on it's side. then put your shot in while it's still laying flat so it is relatively evenly distributed and not all in one area and continue to fill in the foam until the stock is full. Trim excess and reinstall pad.
I have seen people spray the stock with mold release on the inside of the stock thus molding the foam/shot into a sort of plug that be removed for maintenance when necessary.
This adds weight you can remov, and gets rid of the hollow 'thump' associated with hollow synthetic stocks.
There are other methods but for the garage gunsmith this works well and is cheap, easy, and relatively fast.

I used backstop lead from the rifle range and epoxy with good success. After pricing out a bag of shot it made sense to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bunch of ways to skin this cat. One method is to take a ziploc bag, weigh X number of ounces of shot or other weight bearing media into it, install it and see how it feels. Keep playing with it until you get the weight right. While 'installing' it to check, be sure and stuff something in it like a rag or whatever to keep the bag of shot stable and not flip flopping around inside the stock.
Once you get the weight figured out and are happy with it, get some spray foam insulation in the can at your hardware store and use the nozzle to put some in the stock while it's laying on it's side. then put your shot in while it's still laying flat so it is relatively evenly distributed and not all in one area and continue to fill in the foam until the stock is full. Trim excess and reinstall pad.
I have seen people spray the stock with mold release on the inside of the stock thus molding the foam/shot into a sort of plug that be removed for maintenance when necessary.
This adds weight you can remov, and gets rid of the hollow 'thump' associated with hollow synthetic stocks.
There are other methods but for the garage gunsmith this works well and is cheap, easy, and relatively fast. </div></div>

I am going to gbo with this here and report back.

Thanks all for the great tips.

When the gun recoils, it is good to the added weight be solidly attached so it acts as part of the recoiling mass to reduce recoil pain and improve accuracy. Lose shot in a bag may not do that.

I've used Bondo on the last couple I've filled. It's not as heavy as lead, but still adds a pound or so. I like the idea of a release agent so the plug can be removed if the stock allows that. Most of the time there are the little ears inside where the recoil pad screws go into.

Stevens10gasteelweightsstock.jpg

The Stevens factory put these two weights in the stock of my 10 gauge.

Why .712" diameter?
I might guess it is that they had those rods for knocking dents out of 12 gauge bores.
When I buy round steel, it comes at .75".

Similar weights in the old Ithaca MAG10 semi auto 10 gauge.
Something like that would work in sprayed foam as well inside a hollow stock. This job calls for some creativity and ingenuity.
Myself would save the steel rod for lathe turned projects
smile.gif

I don't recommend the shot, very easy to get some that will not get foamed/epoxied and rattle around on you......very annoying.

I do recommend lead shot, but mix it with some sort of glue, I use 5 minute epoxy
10001344ro.jpg

I filled the entire cavity of my PSS stock with it, it comes out easy should some weight need to be removed, just drill into it, lead cuts easy and the epoxy breaks up.

I like the idea of using a release agent on the stock so you can remove it. But, I've had mine in for 3 years and havent wanted it out so far. I used just regular BB's (Lead shot is more dense, but more expensive. I'm a cheap ass ha) and elmers glue.

In a one piece stock, removal is irrelevant. However on something like the 750/7400 with a 2 piece stock that is nothing more than a plastic shell, it is possible it may need to be removed for repair/refinish in the future and it just makes good sense to make sure it is possible, and possible without a great deal of work involved. Like I said- multiple ways to skin this cat, and a little ingenutiy goes a long way. One could even put a piece of PVC tube down the stock over the bolt head and mold the foam/epoxy/shot/gravel what have you around it to leave access to the bolt for removal.
It's like Bob Ross..... This is your little stock in your world and you make it the way it works for you...... and we will put a nice little tree over here.....

If you get a couple plugs of foam or that memory foam material and put those on each end of the weight so the weight is free to move a bit, it will serve to lengthen the recoil time of the rifle and it will reduce felt recoil. It does the same thing as those mercury recoil reducers without having to carry mercury into your hunting spots if you do that. I have heard of them breaking.

You know those fold-up reflector triangles that you're supposed to set along the road if your car breaks down? They're filled with steel shot. Really cheap source of ballast if you have a hand full of reflectors hanging around. You may want to replace the weight with something though, I just used water and glued the plug back in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do recommend lead shot, but mix it with some sort of glue, I use 5 minute epoxy
10001344ro.jpg

I filled the entire cavity of my PSS stock with it, it comes out easy should some weight need to be removed, just drill into it, lead cuts easy and the epoxy breaks up. </div></div>

I want to do this with one of mine, however the fact that the butt pad is bonded on has stopped me so far. Did you cut the original butt pad off and replace it or did you manage to salvage the original and re-use it? If you did salvage the original pad I'd love to know how you got it off without damage.

Cheers
Ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I want to do this with one of mine, however the fact that the butt pad is bonded on has stopped me so far. Did you cut the original butt pad off and replace it or did you manage to salvage the original and re-use it? If you did salvage the original pad I'd love to know how you got it off without damage.

Cheers
Ed </div></div>

Stick the stock in a freezer for a few hours and take a blunt chisel to the seem. A whack or two with a 3lb deadblow pops the pad off every time.