• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s I need to start charging people for being stupid

jasonahull

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
everett washington
So I get a panicked call from a car dealer I do work for,(I own a mobile autobody business)to paint a new mirror.
BIG RUSH!
So I get there at 7:00 tonight and they give me the new part. I asked them, "did you look at it to make sure it isn't already the right color?"
I then told the guy how a different dealer called me one time with the SAME thing, a rush on a mirror.
I told him how I got it back to my shop and it was already painted the right color. So I brought it back to them, didn't charge them anything, I could have, they would have never known.
But that's not how I roll.
Any way, I asked them if they checked it, he said yeah, it needs to be silver, he said the parts guy got the color code off of the car, so he had to SEE the car.
Well on the way out I went to the storage lot to double check......Guess what?......Both mirros are black, the new mirror is .....you guessed it.... Black.
So I hurried across town at 7:00pm for nothing.
I got a good laugh and asked "Did you just hear the story?"
The only thing that wasn't a waste is the liquor store is across the street so I got a bottle of tequila.
I need to figure out how much to charge for people being retarded. Any suggestions?

Re: I need to start charging people for being stupid

At least charge them for gas. I know how you feel. At my shop I don't always write estimates. But I hate when the customer tells me how to write it. A door will be trash. But I get no I want it straightened. Stupid asses don't realize if I could fix it it would still cost more.

Here is a sample invoice:
Amount $50.00
For: Being as sharp as a soccer ball!!
Notes: Call back when your paying attention!!

How's that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least charge them for gas. I know how you feel. At my shop I don't always write estimates. But I hate when the customer tells me how to write it. A door will be trash. But I get no I want it straightened. Stupid asses don't realize if I could fix it it would still cost more. </div></div>

My permit only allows for small repairs 3x3 max. So I dont really write estimates. I do more of a minimum charge thing.
I dont miss body shops at all, just over 20 years in the autobody trade. I feel your pain bro.
The nice thing about dealer work is the are easy to please. When retail people approach me I usually tell them stupid high prices so I dont have to deal with them. Then I stress out when they say OK.......Dang it!!!!

I like that. I would love to charge for estimates that waste our time. But there is a huge ass sign on the building that says Free estimates.

Free estimates. See footnote
Footnote: Unless your a retard. (see 2nd footnote)
2nd footnote: Not referring to handicapped people, but those that don't have the common sense God gave a goose. (See 3rd footnote.)
3rd Footnote: No offense To The Geese out there.

Dude, Here is what I hate.
This salesman asked me how much to fix some rust under his tailgate on his white truck. He said the "it doesn't have to be perfect" crap. I told him since he worked for the dealer I would give him the dealer minimum price for sanding and air brushing of $75.00. He says " I can go get some rattle can white and do it myself and it will cost me 10 bucks. So i said "well there you go, go nuts man."
I should have just punched him in the face!!!!...... kidding

No you should have punched him in the face. Ok I wouldn't have either but that crap pisses me off. My other favorite thing is there old bait me into writing the estimate how they want it then ask well my check is for this. Can I have the left over money. After looking at there estimate there is a ton of extra stuff the insurance has paid for. I say no because I have to go of the insurance estimate. It's weird you never see them again.

I have thought about going back to a body shop as a painter, but I dont think I could. I dont like the customers, and I HATE adjusters. It has been very nice to be able to say, Nope, or, I dont want to, or, well then go to a body shop. All my new favorite sayings.

i do charge people for being stupid...they are called citations. stupid should be expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: topgun99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i do charge people for being stupid...they are called citations. stupid should be expensive. </div></div>

Do you say.... Meow, do you know why I pulled you over?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jrb572</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least charge them for gas. I know how you feel. At my shop I don't always write estimates. But I hate when the customer tells me how to write it. A door will be trash. <span style="font-weight: bold">But I get no I want it straightened</span>. Stupid asses don't realize if I could fix it it would still cost more. </div></div>Replacement parts usually show up on Carfax type searches. That's probably why they would want it "straightened, bondo'd etc."

meow sir, thats not funny...lol. all kidding aside the ones who suffer from cranial rectal inversion are the ones who get the tickets. after 17 years in law enforcement either i have grown to cynical or common sense among the general population is fading fast.

A little off topic but the thread made me think of it. Last week a guy swerves in my lane and clips my side mirror on my 11 Super Duty and splits the housing. I call to order the mirror so I can replace it and that damn thing was 960.00 I was completely shocked at how overpriced for what it is......

Hey man how about an estimate for straightening it?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Then I stress out when they say OK.......Dang it!!!! </div></div>

I know this dilemma. I am a remodeling contractor and when I sense a difficult customer I definitely give a higher price. Most of the time I don't get those jobs but when I do I USUALLY have enough money in my quote for the extra headaches.

Re: I need to start charging people for being stup

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: topgun99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">meow sir, thats not funny...lol. all kidding aside the ones who suffer from cranial rectal inversion are the ones who get the tickets. after 17 years in law enforcement either i have grown to cynical or common sense among the general population is fading fast. </div></div>

I would never make it in law enforcement, the stupid people.would use up my patients too quick.
Alright meow, you get tasered.

I have, slowly getting out of, a mobile mechanic business. I charge travel time. Happens more than people want to admit to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have thought about going back to a body shop as a painter, but I dont think I could. I dont like the customers, and I HATE adjusters. It has been very nice to be able to say, Nope, or, I dont want to, or, well then go to a body shop. All my new favorite sayings. </div></div>

I agree with you 100%. I am getting out of the mechanic business not because I don't like it. I really enjoy it. I am starting farming and would love it to be able to just help the neighbors and friends I get along with. Also take jobs I do at my pace. Kinda make the mechanicing a hobby. But then it is not business, it is a hobby.

When I was doing copier repair if I showed up, you paid for a service call. There were a couple times I talked to the customer and tried very hard to have them check the simple things (like "is it plugged in?") but they insisted on a service call. They paid $154 for me to plug their copier in. Education can be expensive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macgulley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I was doing copier repair if I showed up, you paid for a service call. There were a couple times I talked to the customer and tried very hard to have them check the simple things (like "is it plugged in?") but they insisted on a service call. They paid $154 for me to plug their copier in. Education can be expensive. </div></div>

That's awesome.

What's funny is car dealers pay for cars to be detailed which includes "polishing". Then they pay me to come Polish them right. I have offered to show their retailers how to do it and they say they would rather pay me to do it because there detailers will " probably just mess it up". So they pay twice for the same thing.

Dude. With the mirror thing...you should have hauled the guy that insisted you take care of it right away with you to the liquor store and make his stupid ass pay for your bottle of Tequila!

I made a missing person's report out for Natural Selection. They called me back and said he's not missing but exiled by The Patriot Act to protect Politicians, liberals, and stupid people in general...

I am an industrial hvac service technician. I get at least one service call a week to turn on an emergency stop switch or to turn a thermostat to "on"

My other favorite is when people cover the vents then bitch cuz it doesnt work right. I also am the door man at a local college bar and let me just say the future isnt looking bright.

If people were charged for being stupid we could rid our debt problems

Bingo!
troll-face.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: topgun99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i do charge people for being stupid...they are called citations. stupid should be expensive. </div></div>

I laughed so hard I about spit dinner on the screen.