• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I.O.T.A (Indoor Optical Training Aid)

NorCal Vu

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 20, 2004
Sacramento Area
Everyone says dry fire, dry fire, dry fire, and then do some more dry firing to improve your fundamentals, and positional shooting skills. If this is the case, how come most shooters don’t do it?

I believe that most guys don’t dry fire because they can’t do it in the comfort of their own home without having to put their cross hairs on their neighbor’s house or focus on something down the street. Depending on where you live, you could get a visit by your local PD.

We all know most scopes are not designed to focus down to 10 to 12 feet, which is the distance that can be found in any house or apartment hallway. Most of the scopes I have used won’t even focus down at 20 feet clearly and parallax free to enable me to really focus on the sight picture while dry firing.

Chuck from Reno, Nevada has developed a new gadget that will make dry firing indoors a whole new experience. Chuck calls his little invention the I.O.T.A, Indoor Optical Training Aid. The guys in our club have been the guinea pigs for the last several months for this neat gadget that will allow a shooter to focus a 20X scope down to 10 feet, clearly and parallax free. The sight picture is so clear and focused that you can actually see the fibers on a piece of paper at 10 feet on 20X.

The unit itself is rather simple, and works flawlessly. Each I.O.T.A is made for a specific objective diameter of a particular optic. The one Chuck made for me is designed for my Premier 5-25X. The unit comes completely assembled and ready to go. All the shooter has to do is take off their existing objective lens cover and replace it with the I.O.T.A. No other modification is needed to your scope in order to use the I.O.T.A.

DSC00675.jpg

BAM! Now you can focus down to about 10 feet on 20X with your Premier 5-25X. It doesn’t get any easier than that.

DSC00679.jpg

Here is my dry firing setup in my bedroom. All I needed was 10 feet from the scope to the target.

DSC00681.jpg

DSC00669.jpg

I used a moving box with a few small dots for my point of aim. There is a ½” dot that I use for positional practice, a ¼”” dot I use for speed drills, and a little dot I put on the box with a sharpie for prone dry firing practice.

DSC00674.jpg

Here are a few pictures taken through the scope to give you an idea of what the sight picture looks like. To be fair to the I.O.T.A, I suck at taking pictures like this. It took me 45 freaking minutes to get these. When you are actually behind the scope, the sight picture is crystal clear. I had my Premier set at 20X - 25X focused on a target 10 feet away

DSC00659.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

DSC00658.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

Now I am able to dry fire with a clear and parallax free sight picture inside the comfort of my own home.

After having the chance to play with the I.O.T.A for a bit, I came up with the target pictured below. It has dots small enough for slow fire prone, speed drills, hold over drills, and positional practice. The I.O.T.A can also be used to ensure your reticle is lined up correctly via a plumb line. You will be amazed how clearly you can focus on a thin piece of thread at 10 feet.

IOTATarget.jpg

I believe Chuck will be offering these for around $60.00 shipped. The price is right considering the cost of match ammo and components these days. Chuck goes by 264shooter on the Hide, or can be reached at [email protected]. He was hesitant about putting this out there for sale in the mainstream, but I think the I.O.T.A. can help all of us improve our shooting while save a few bucks on ammo.

Re: I.O.T.A (Indoor Optical Training Aid)

He just stopped down the aperture!
Brilliant idea!
Basically the same principle as a pinhole camera
smile.gif

I think the lens actually has some type of magnification as well. It just not as simple as taking a plastic lens and coloring it black =)

Hell of an idea, I like it.

All,

Just wanted to put this out there since I have had several PMs asking if it is just a plastic lens with a small hole in it.

The answer is no, its not.

The lens is a diopter grounded down to a specific diameter for the scope you order it for.

What a great idea Vu, so if I understand right you would need one for each different scope based on different objective sizes. Question would one 50mm fit various models? Same being with 56mm?

Thanks

Dag,

Chuck hit a home run with this lil gadget I think.

If the two different scopes use the same size Butler Creek, or close to it, you can probably swap them between the two optics.

The IOTA lens is thin and kind of fragile so a tight fit could cause it to break while taking it on and off.

Vu..

Does the lens focus ONLY at exactly 10 feet or is there some leeway, say 10-30 feet?

Thanks!

Hellbender,

I would say 10 to 12. I think it also has to do with what power setting you have your scope on as well.

I found my best sight picture at 10 feet on 17X to 25X.

30 feet would be a no go I think.

Vu

Hello, to all that are interested in the I.O.T.A. lens.

It's time I step up and answer your questions.

Vu posted this review becuase he thinks that I have a good idea and that as shooters we could all benifit from quality dry fire practice.

I know from my own personal experience that I would have to look out the window or the garage door to get something far enough away to focus on.
That was the only way I could get a clear sight picture.

I tried to practice in the house, but looking at a blury target was just not worth the effort.

The Indoor Optical Training Aid lets me focus at 10' to 12' feet.

I will try to explain things as we go along.

I make these one at a time as they are called for and they ground specificly for each objective size and there are many.

I will do my best to answer your questions.

Thanks

Chuck

Smart design.

Another good dry fire routine at this distance is to place a mirror at the base of a wall and slightly angle it down. While looking into the mirror, use notable carpet fibers that are the width of the cross hair as a POA - instant feed back on what is a straight trigger pull and what isn't.

Good luck

I just bought one of these from Chuck and what a great tool. At 11 ft I could read the fine print on some of the Scaled down Targets I was using.
Here are some Targets I was using just to test it out. I downloaded two of them off of 6MMBR site.

I put the ruler up to show the size of the smallest dot it is about 1 mm and with IOTA it looks like what a 3 inch dot does at two hundred yards. On 22 power.

One thing you will need to make sure you have is light on the Target. The IOTA does not draw any light and any shade on the target makes it kind of hard to see the reticle. I illuminated the reticle on my NF and it worked good even in the shadow.

Whats really nice about this is I can do my Dryfire work in the house. I don't have to put up with the cold outside or my wifes zoo coming over to see what I am doing.

When I went to Chucks to pick up the IOTA I took my rifle so that we could level the crosshairs. We put a Pencil mark on a door and clamped my rifle down and the mark looked like it was a half inch wide. It was real simple to get the crosshairs plumb.
For this this work you will need a good Torpedo Level.

089.jpg

I bought one of these from Chuck also, and have used it on scaled-down targets in the house - works as promised, and is a huge benefit to those of us without a range in the backyard. Using it for positional work has been the greatest benefit for me; it's something I really need to work on, and definitely don't do enough of at the range...

I bought one from Chuck a few days ago, looking forward to getting it in a week and not "targeting" the neighbors house all the time.

As Vu says, some of us locals have been playing with this for a while - Chuck is definitely the "gadget" guy, always trying to make his loading and shooting life easier. While some of Chuck's past creations have been entertaining, this one really makes a lot of sense.

This is something that you set up at a fixed range and practice with, you can't run around with it or anything. It works well on my F1, the field of view is restricted some at the lower powers, but I like being able to practice holdover sight pictures at mid-range magnification.

The real benefits I think are in the offhand and positional practice, something that we all need a lot more of, and that are otherwise difficult to perform with a clear sight picture at home.

I ordered one up. I just have to send my check out.

I am having it build for my SN-3. Unfortunately I live in a pretty tight neighborhood and to dry-fire with the SN-3 I have to turn the magnification way down even with it on the closest parallax setting.

The added advantage is this will allow me to dry fire at night, inside. Previously I could only do it during the day because I don't have good enough lighting on the "target" well after dark.

The Razor allows me to dial in pretty close, but still not close enough to train indoors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought one of these from Chuck and what a great tool. At 11 ft I could read the fine print on some of the Scaled down Targets I was using.
Here are some Targets I was using just to test it out. I downloaded two of them off of 6MMBR site.

I put the ruler up to show the size of the smallest dot it is about 1 mm and with IOTA it looks like what a 3 inch dot does at two hundred yards. On 22 power.

One thing you will need to make sure you have is light on the Target. The IOTA does not draw any light and any shade on the target makes it kind of hard to see the reticle. I illuminated the reticle on my NF and it worked good even in the shadow.

Whats really nice about this is I can do my Dryfire work in the house. I don't have to put up with the cold outside or my wifes zoo coming over to see what I am doing.

When I went to Chucks to pick up the IOTA I took my rifle so that we could level the crosshairs. We put a Pencil mark on a door and clamped my rifle down and the mark looked like it was a half inch wide. It was real simple to get the crosshairs plumb.
For this this work you will need a good Torpedo Level.

089.jpg
</div></div>

Is it possible to get a copy of these?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

Here is the site that I printed the targets off of. The targets are free to download. It has many other types of Targets also. The big black one on the right is a Shoot N C sticker. </div></div>

Much appreciated.

If possible can you also comment how you have used it as a training aid?

pretty cool, I'll have my wife order one for Christmas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html

Here is the site that I printed the targets off of. The targets are free to download. It has many other types of Targets also. The big black one on the right is a Shoot N C sticker. </div></div>

Much appreciated.

If possible can you also comment how you have used it as a training aid? </div></div>

So far I have been using it for Prone, Standing and Sitting. I noticed one of the problems I was having in the prone when the Trigger broke.
I had to much finger on the Trigger and noticed as it broke I was pulling the Rifle off Target. While in the Standing I have been able to become steadier on some of the smaller targets.

You will need to pay attention to your Crosshairs when the Trigger breaks which in turn gives you an idea what your sights are doing.

The best part about this is that it is 32 degrees outside right now with some Snow on the ground and I can stay warm and practice inside the house and like I said in my first post I'm not outside with my Wifes Zoo having one of the animals trying to stick a Tongue in my Ear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm not outside with my Wifes Zoo having one of the animals trying to stick a Tongue in my Ear. </div></div>

You say that like it is a bad thing......
smile.gif

I received mine last week, and finally got a chance to really spend some time with it in the past day.

Everything about this works just as you would want it to, and as others have mentioned above. I am also using the targets that are shown in the picts above from 6MMBR since you really need a very small dot to approximate your normal target range. I was always trying to dry fire "out the window" since I never feel comfortable laying out in the yard with my rifle staring through a scope (I live on a golf course, and I am sure there is a good joke in there somewhere).... The other great part of this is that you can practice day or night, and it is a lot warmer and dryer laying on the carpet inside this time of year.

The IOTA is fitted to my NF 5.5-22x56 and it is inside a Butler Creek cap, so it is very easy to slide on and off to put on another rifle, as long as the objectives are the same size. The distance I have been working with is in the 10-12 foot range, and you do need as much light as you can get on the target, if you want a bright picture - but dim the light down and you are shooting at twilight and practicing with your illuminated reticle.

I am not really meaning this to be a review of any kind - just some first observations after a few hours behind it. Overall, I have to say am very pleased with the IOTA, and in particular with the communication with Chuck during ordering and followup.

This now removes any barrier/excuses for why I do not dry-fire more often
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trapshooter12</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm not outside with my Wifes Zoo having one of the animals trying to stick a Tongue in my Ear. </div></div>

You say that like it is a bad thing......
smile.gif
</div></div>

Chiller sometimes I think I would be safer to have my hands tied and a leg of Lamb tied around my neck then dumped in the middle of the Serengeti vs facing the animals my Wife has brought home. She has a Chihuahua that has a tongue that when she sticks it in your ear. It reaches clear through to the other ear and gets the ear wax there and then cleans your sinuses on the way back out. She brought home some kind of dog the otherday that stands about 6ft on it's hind legs. This one is supposed to protect the Goats some how.
I'm afraid to lay down in the yard because when the dog starts to follow the Goats the Goats end up looking like a covey of Quail exploding. (Have you ever been in a Goat stampede)? I'm here to tell you it can get wild if your the one they are running over.
And then! If I try to Ghillie up and hide from the dogs I have to worry about the Goats trying to eat me when I veg up. They tend to like the fresh vegetation that wonders around the yard and I'm not sure what the Horse might try to do. So I can't go out to the pasture.
And then! I have to worry about the Chickens trying to roost on the Barrel of my rifle. They tend to wonder over to see what your doing and either start picking through the Veg if your Ghillied up or they try to roost on your Barrel.
The neighbors look at me kind of odd when they drive by and see me laying in thr grass with a Chicken sitting on the end of my Barrel. I guess the good thing about it is the neighbors haven't come over to bother me in two years after seeing all of that.

So to answer your question. Yes a tongue in your ear can be a bad thing.

Chucks IOTA might bring some sanity back into my life. Plus some safety in the house.

PS heres a pick of the yard Cat she wanted to bring home.
007-1.jpg

Chuck, I just received mine in the mail today. Workmanship looks great. I have only played with it a little but it looks like I should have great clarity at 11ft(enough to see fuzz at 11 foot on a lamp shade). I can't wait to get my UGSW rifle to mount it and put it to use. Thanks again Chuck. Rthur
BTW I have NF F1

I'm glad you clarified that, Trap. I was uncertain as to whether you were suggesting that being outside with <span style="font-style: italic">your wife</span> trying to do the tongue/ear routine was a bad thing, which created some concern (LOL). With the help of the pic I can now fully comprehend that having a tiger/goat/dog do it might be a problem. Have you ever considered allowing neighborhood kids into the "petting zoo" for a small fee in order to subsidize your gun-related activities? Just a thought.

Just received my IOTA today. It appears well made. Unfortunately I had to work tonight so I did not get to do anything more in depth than just look it over.

I should get a chance to actually use it tomorrow.

i got my IOTA yesterday and today I got a chance to briefly play with it.
As LonewolfUSMC said, the piece is well made. The small target dots I used look nice and clear. So far I've only got a chance to try it at a distance of about 10 feet but later this weekend I'll have a chance to try at about 20-30 feet.

At 10 feet i lowered the magnification to about 4x-6x and like I said the dot looked nice and clear enough to dry fire and get good feedback. Again, good tool.

R.

About 10 ft is all that your going to be able to use it for. 1 ft in either direction whll change the clarity. I don;t think your going to be able to use it as a Run N Gun device unless you have premarked positions already made.

This device fit loosely on my Scope and I was afraid it might fall off if I tilted the Rifle down. I took some Masking Tape and put inside of the Cap Housing to tighten it up so that it can't accidently slide off the Scope.

003-1.jpg