• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I ordered the wrong barrel for my build! pros and cons of non threaded muzzle?

xnv733x

Private
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2020
I am pretty new to precision rifle shooting took my first class with my savage 10fcp 308 bolt gun and got hooked i talked to someone that recommended upgrading one of my ARs to an 18inch barrel and throwing a scope on it to train with since it would be cheaper ammo wise instead of buying a whole new bolt gun. Long story short i ordered a wilson combat urban sniper barrel instead of going with a white oak because im impatient it showed up in the mail today and to my surprise it didn't have a threaded muzzle it is crowned can someone give me a rundown on crowned vs a brake should i just run it? I doubt wilson combat will let me return it considering it was my mistake and i opted to have it coated.

Thanks for all the responses according to the paperwork it came with sounds like they will let me return or exchange it but I may just keep it no can in my foreseeable future

Agree with the last two. There is no reason to limit yourself and stay non- threaded. There area plenty of muzzle devices or compensators that help with muzzle rise and recoil and make shooting easier.

Return it if you can, if you haven't mounted it yet.

The first 3 responses should be ignored.

Sorry to hear that. Return it man. Especially if it's not what you ordered. I have a WOA in 223 and it's one of the most accurate firearms I've ever shot.

Sorry to hear that. Return it man. Especially if it's not what you ordered. I have a WOA in 223 and it's one of the most accurate firearms I've ever shot.
I have a WOA 20" service rifle and its also a dart. No muzzle threads - but 5.56 is a lot kore manageable than .308 so its a toss up for me.

Ive read about where 1/2 (556) or 5/8 (762) threads can allow the end of your barrel to enlarge the bore size for last couple inches of barrel and it supposedly causes accuracy issues - they recommend 3/4 to avoid the issue but. But I have never ran into actual proof so grain of salt...

Only real thing I found with having the nonthreadded muzzle is your crown is exposed, if you are planning to use it as a walking stick or whatever.

thanks for all the input i ended up sending it back to wilson combat their customer service is top notch